SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Face paint : the story of makeup by Lisa…

Face paint : the story of makeup (edition 2015)

by Lisa Eldridge

Make-up, as we know it, has only been commercially available in the last 100 years, but applying decoration to the face and body may be one of the oldest global social practices. Lisa Eldridge, one of the world's foremost make-up artists--with a very large and loyal public following of her own--has written the first real history of the subject. Face Paint will explore the reasons behind make-up's use, the actual materials employed and manufactured through the ages, the icons that people emulate and how they achieved their effects, the impact on women's lives and the present and future of make-up from high profile practitioners artists to cosmetic breakthroughs. Along with the glamorous trappings, this is also about women's history and the ways in which we can understand their story through the prism of make-up.… (more)
Member:sfmcewing
Title:Face paint : the story of makeup
Authors:Lisa Eldridge
Info:New York : Abrams Image, 2015.

Work Information

Face Paint: The Story of Makeup by Lisa Eldridge

Mm, not as in depth as I would like, but that would be a much heavier tome. This book is gorgeous, with contemporary photos, vintage ads, and historical art as illustrations. The first half examines the use of three colors (red, black, and white) over time in Western and Eastern makeup (African and South American cultures are somewhat mentioned, but not as in depth as the first two). Eldridge notes a fascinating correlation between embracing the use of makeup and emancipation of women- in Egypt where the kohl and eyeliner ran free, women could own and inherit property whereas in Greece, where makeup was discouraged for all except courtesans, 'proper' women were kept cloistered at home. There are also some cross cultural parallels- both Renaissance Italians and Chinese painted their faces with lead, aging their skin prematurely.

The second half was the history of the the cosmetics industry, which despite makeup being used for millennia seems to be a relatively recent thing. I enjoyed the profiles of the early 1900s makeup entrepreneurs behind many of the brands we know and use today. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
Great book that covers the history of making and using makeup. Lots of information about the business of makeup and movie stars. Good stories and not boring. Really enjoyed this read. ( )
  ShadowBarbara | Jan 27, 2017 |
Famous makeup artist Lisa Eldridge brings us a history of makeup. She goes into both the chemistry (what the makeup was made of) and the sociology (how social mores influenced its use) of it to create a rounded view of makeup. It’s been around for thousands of years- the ancient Egyptians made great use of it- and, while for centuries in the western world it wasn’t considered a good thing to do, it was there, being made at home of rose petals and blackberries, flying under the radar.

The first part of the book is a look at the three basic colors of makeup: red, white, and black. Those colors have been used in every century and civilsation. She tells us how each color was obtained and how the uses changed. The rest of the book is basically about Victorian times on, because that is when beauty products came to be more widely available, and, possibly more important, when they became advertised. I’m a history and vintage fan, so I loved seeing the various styles of makeup- different eye brow shapes, different rouge placement, and different eye shadows. (Of course, looking back through the decades at the styles, I had to occasionally think “What the hell were we thinking?!?!”) I also loved that she gives the chemistry behind the products, from soot mixed with petroleum jelly to today’s modern silicones that work like magic. The history of makeup also includes the people behind the products: Elizabeth Arden, Estee Lauder, Charles Revson, Helena Rubenstein, Max Factor, and the Westmores. There are also inserts on Makeup Muses: various beauties like Monroe, Garbo, Josephine Baker, and Bardot and how they did their makeup.

One of the best parts, of course, are all the illustrations. Not just women with makeup on, but vintage ads (love those) and old packaging- I’d love to have Kigu’s Flying Saucer powder compact, with its deep blue lid covered with golden stars! The book is written in a very engaging style and was fun to read, as well as being very informative. ( )
  lauriebrown54 | May 18, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,365,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible