The Travelers: A Novel by Chris Pavone

The Travelers: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Chris Pavone (Author)

A pulse-racing international thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Expats and The Accident   It's 3:00am. Do you know where your husband is?   Meet Will Rhodes: travel writer, recently married, barely solvent, his idealism rapidly giving way to disillusionment and the worry that he's living the wrong life. Then one night, on assignment for the award-winning Travelers magazine in the wine region of Argentina, a beautiful woman makes him an offer he can't refuse. Soon Will's bad choices--and dark secrets--take him across Europe, from a chateau in Bordeaux to a midnight raid on a Paris mansion, from a dive bar in Dublin to a mega-yacht in the Mediterranean and an isolated cabin perched on the rugged cliffs of Iceland. As he's drawn further into a tangled web of international intrigue, it becomes clear that nothing about Will Rhodes was ever ordinary, that the network of deception ensnaring him is part of an immense and deadly conspiracy with terrifying global implications--and that the people closest to him may pose the greatest threat of all.   It's 3:00am. Your husband has just become a spy.… (more)
Member:Twink
Title:The Travelers: A Novel
Authors:Chris Pavone (Author)
Info:Crown (2016), Edition: First Edition, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Travelers by Chris Pavone

Could be good but I got tired of slogging through all the unnecessary descriptions and dialogue the I have up. Needs serious editing. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I set this one aside. I've been reading it for three weeks and I'm only 40% done. That's a good sign that I should be reading something else.
I wanted to like this more. The Hubster did. I enjoyed Pavone's earlier two books but this one just didn't hold my attention or interest.
  SuziQoregon | Sep 17, 2019 |
Spies in the publishing world, who knew!! I was confused to the very end and am still pondering who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. Does the CIA do stuff like this? ( )
  brangwinn | Jun 9, 2019 |
It's a thriller about international intrigues, cheats, and lies. It can happen, at least in part. What caught my attention was the lies. All the characters in this book - without exception - lie. I know we all do it a little here and there, to smooth wrinkles, to straighten a reality that doesn't work out for us, to get away from embarrassment, but our lies-I prefer to believe are insignificant ones that in the long run don't matter.
If I had known this before, I might have chosen to read another book because of the reading barrier I have at the moment. On the other hand, maybe this book did something for me.
Only time will tell.

Or maybe I'm just not telling the truth. ( )
  RUTHKOLOCKR | Feb 2, 2019 |
One of the things that drew me to The Travelers is right there on the cover: “Hitchcockian.” This was the first Chris Pavone novel that I tried to read. However, instead of the master of suspense director, I say that the story is more William Faulknerish. With its long, convoluted sentences that meander through from subject to subject, I found this novel less than enthralling.

The other thing that enticed me to this book where the different locales in which the action (or lack thereof, depending on your point of view) takes places: Argentina, Dublin, New York City, Paris, Barcelona, the North Atlantic Ocean, and other exotic areas. It jumped around a lot, switching characters constantly until I had to re-read sections to figure out what was going happening.

I like books that make me think, but not books that cause me to struggle trying to figure out what was happening. When I think spy novel, I think edge-of-my-seat read. Unfortunately, this was a slow, tedious read for me. The Travelers receives 1 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for this review. ( )
  juliecracchiolo | Mar 12, 2018 |
To know that one has a secret is to know half the secret itself.

- Henry Ward Beecher
The door flies open.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Chris Pavone's book The Travelers was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Chris Pavone is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,778,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible