Inventing the Future: Postcapitalism and a World Without Work (2015)

by Nick Srnicek, Alex Williams

Neoliberalism isn't working. Austerity is forcing millions into poverty and many more into precarious work, while the left remains trapped in stagnant political practices that offer no respite. Inventing the Future is a bold new manifesto for life after capitalism. Against the confused understanding of our high-tech world by both the right and the left, this book claims that the emancipatory and future-oriented possibilities of our society can be reclaimed. Instead of running from a complex future, Nick Srnicek and Alex Williams demand a postcapitalist economy capable of advancing standards, liberating humanity from work and developing technologies that expand our freedoms.… (more)
2022 (10)

revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
demand continued corporate reign and ecocide. Demand a continuation of the hierarchical bell curve and systemic racism. demand continued infinite economic growth. This is a solution to the wrong problem. Not how to end capitalism, but how to let it continue in a more sustainable way. This is the even worse cousin to green capitalism. When I first read this book I was totally captivated by its promises but on further research I felt lied to. A deceitful carrot on a stick. ( )
  rhizomefarmer | Feb 14, 2021 |
Will write a more in-depth critique to my blog but TL;DR version:

It's a much needed work and critique for the most of the current left tendencies and gives a good frame to work with to how to think about and work for the future. Of course there are couple of aspects I could criticize but this doesn't lowered my point for the work.

I believe everyone can learn something from this, unless you're already familiar with their work or similar ideas. ( )
  ahmetasabanci | Oct 13, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book. The premise is that the neoliberal status quo fails on a number of levels and that the work of the left is to regain mantle of "common sense" - that we can can eliminate poverty, improve healthcare and education, and remove suffering in work. The book lays out why this is needed, the benefits of a postcapitalist society powered by automation, and some suggestions for how ideas can change over time. The book is dense but very interesting - would highly recommend. ( )
  DerekCaelin | May 5, 2020 |
I ended up skipping some chapters related to the current dire straits of the political left, but the book's presentation of ideas for a better (progressive) future was interesting and well-written. A bit drier than the usual fare I read but, I think, worth the time I spent reading it. Now if only we could make it happen! ( )
  caimanjosh | Sep 23, 2019 |

Nick Srnicekprimary authorall editionscalculated
Williams, Alexmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,133,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible