Kill Switch by Jonathan Maberry

Kill Switch

by Jonathan Maberry

"What do you do when the power goes off? A terrorist group has acquired one hundred E-bombs. Each bomb's electromagnetic pulse is powerful enough to blow out all power and all technology from a major city. The terrorists plan to hit one hundred American cities in a campaign of destruction. Word has gotten out about the coming blackout and gangs, criminals and terrorist strike teams are poised to attack when the lights go out. Joe Ledger knows how to stop them. He has the names, locations, abort codes. But a targeted EMP weapon kills the electronics aboard his plane. Joe crashes in the deepest and most remote part of the vast rainforests of the Pacific Northwest. Joe and his combat dog, Ghost, survive the crash -but they are lost in the wilderness with no weapons and no way to get the information to the authorities. Time is running out. And Joe is being hunted by a terrifying new kind of assassin. A team of remote viewers have the ability to take over any person and turn ordinary citizens into killers. Joe and Ghost may have to kill the innocent in order to save the entire country from falling during a night of darkness and mass murder"--… (more)

Wow I love the suspense of these books it's like a ride. Hate theending making you want more ( )
  itschrisonline | Apr 28, 2018 |
Maberry brings the weird and unbelievable to life again. Like all of his other Joe Ledger books, he makes the things of fantasy and nightmares into a twisted reality that gets you believing they could actually be true. Kill Switch just sucks you into its tentacles immediately and doesn't let you up for air until the very end.

The way things are described and the pace of the book are stunning and will evoke your imagination and bring every detail to life. It doesn't hurt either that the things Joe and his team say will have you laughing out loud and causing your family or co-workers to give you an odd look.

Joe is seriously hilarious with his quips. I have a serious man crush on Joe, he is my hero. Yes, I am fully aware that I sound like a moron. No, more like a Trekkie who suddenly found himself in an elevator with Captain Kirk. I don't actually have many hero's, but when I go bromance I go full bromance.... ;-)

This is a must read for any Sci-Fi fan and will have you rethinking what you think you know about science fiction. So with that, I will leave you with this…
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn ( )
  Porterhouse21 | May 10, 2017 |
Review copy

Is it to early to add this to the list of my ten favorite reads of 2016? Kill Switch, by Jonathan Maberry, is that good. It's hard to imagine many books to be published the rest of this year being better than this new adventure in the Joe Ledger series.

If you've never read a Joe Ledger novel, it's not too late. Kill Switch is as good a place to start as any. You don't need to read the other books unless you really want to. Maberry covers all of the bases to bring the reader up to speed on Echo Team and the Department of Military Science. The DMS deals with the problems that Homeland Security can’t handle—and these are big problems: terrorist zombies, weaponized plagues, and so much more.

This book starts with Captain Ledger leading a team investigating the reasons behind the sudden silence from a research facility in the Antarctic. (As an aside, my current bedtime read is H.P. Lovecraft's The Mountain's of Madness from The Complete Fiction and Poetry of H.P. Lovecraft and I saw the connection right away.) Thus begins a wild mashup of Lovecraft and Ledger.

One of a number of well crafted subplots involves the childhood of the most intelligent person on the planet who also believes Lovecraft, Derleth, Howard, and other authors were writing much more than stupid horror stories. "Prospero was convinced he was not human. Not entirely. And he was equally convinced that he was not from this world."

Prospero wants to build what he calls the "God Machine" to open a door to the world he came from so he can go home.

His attempts over the years have lead to a number of side effects, projects co-opted by his demanding father. projects with names like "Dreamwalking", "Dreamsheild", "Freefall", "Unleanable Truths", and "Kill Switch," which when activated creates a localized, temporary, EMP. The technologies fall into the hands of a terrorist group and events escalate to a level of unthinkable proportions.

Things that make a Joe Ledger novel so much fun to read include his sparkly dialogue, "'Hell, Farm Boy, don't go thinking you hold the patent on being sphincter-clenching scared. I would give your left nut to be ten thousand miles away from here.'"

Maberry is also the king of the simile, "I rolled on my side as far as tubes and wires would allow. There was no muscle tone left as far as I could tell and even that simple action was like bench-pressing a Volvo."

There is a great deal of ground covered in this 544 page volume, but Maberry keeps it interesting with a number of brilliant twists. Just when you think you know where he's going, there's another twist and it all makes as much sense as it did before, or at least until the next twist.

Once you get to the last hundred pages, I dare you to put this book down. It's just loaded with non-stop action.

When I was done, I was ready for the Joe Ledger Special from Jake Witkowski's food truck. "A homemade bacon cheddar brat, sliced open and topped with a steak patty with grilled pepper and onions, piled high with homemade cheese sauce, homemade whiskey BBQ sauce, and crushed Fritos."

Published by St. Martin's Griffin, Kill Switch is available in paperback, e-book, and popular audio formats.

This one gets my highest recommendation.

Jonathan Maberry is a New York Times bestselling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning author. Probably best known for his Joe Ledger novels and for his award-winning YA Rot & Ruin series. He currently resides in Del Mar, California and you can find him online at jonathanmaberry.com. ( )
  FrankErrington | Apr 28, 2016 |
Each time I think the author can't top himself in this series he does so again. Blistering pace, all of our favorite characters back again plus some new ones, and the author's unique ability to take a plot that seems so outrageous and yet he makes you believe that it could really happen. Maybe. Possibly. ( )
  JJbooklvr | Mar 3, 2016 |

Jonathan Maberry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Jonathan Maberry chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 22, 2010 to Apr 4, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,509,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible