London's Glory: The Lost Cases of Bryant &…

London's Glory: The Lost Cases of Bryant & May and the Peculiar Crimes…

by Christopher Fowler

In every detective's life there are cases that can't be discussed, and throughout the Bryant & May novels there have been mentions of some of these such as the Deptford Demon or the Little Italy Whelk Smuggling Scandal. Now Arthur Bryant has decided to open the files on eleven of these previously unseen investigations that required the collective genius and unique modus operandi of Arthur Bryant and John May and the Peculiar Crimes Unit - investigations that range from different times (London during the Great Smog) and a variety of places: a circus freak show, on board a London Tour Bus and even a yacht off the coast of Turkey. And in addition to these eleven classic cases, readers are also given a privileged look inside the Peculiar Crimes Unit (literally, with a cut away drawing of their offices), a guide to the characters of the Peculiar Crimes Unit, and access to the contents of Arthur Bryant's highly individual library.… (more)

I had only read a short Bryant & May story before I read this collection and one of the reasons I wanted to read this collection was because I thought this would give me some insight into the life and work of Bryant and May if I in the future read any of the books. Which I probably will.

This collection consists of eleven previously unseen investigations and it is everything from murder in a locked room, a suspicious case of poisoning on a boat and a killer on a Tourist bus in London. Some cases were more interesting than the others, most of them good. And, even a case or rather two cases connected that they couldn't solve. Bryant&May and the Secret Santa was the story I had read before so I skipped that one.

All and all I found most cases interesting, albeit I found some cases a bit tedious I must admit especially the one about the freak show. I just couldn't get into that one and it felt a bit long.

But I've come to like Bryant & May very much. Especially Bryant. Btw there is an excellent characters list in the beginning of this book. Perfect if you are a new reader, like me, to the series.

I want to thank the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 29, 2019 |
I enjoyed these quirky stories. Interesting characters and unusual plots. Would like to read more. ( )
  scot2 | Jul 31, 2017 |
I really enjoy Bryant and May. I really enjoy Fowler's writing. It's such a shame that the author finds it necessary to run his mouth as obnoxiously as he does on his blog. But it's his blog, so he can say whatever he wants, and I can stop reading it whenever I want. Which was when his "those Americans have trouble brushing their teeth because they might have to put down their guns" attitude got up my nose.

Oh! Speaking of which: "In Britain, we have ‘equality of arms,’ which allows the same resources to be made available to both defence and prosecution, and broadly speaking this idea of balance filters down through the system. There’s a reason why the Old Bailey’s statue of Justice holds scales. It means we don’t get such outrageous courtroom dramas as O. J. Simpson fiddling with a glove, but the end result is often fairer."

Why am I reading this guy again?

There have been discussions out there about whether and how an author's politics or personal behavior or whatever affect whether and how people read his writing. I guess in this case the fact that the author literally makes me physically ill means that I'm done with the series. Oh well. On the plus side, he mentioned lots and lots of classic authors I can go explore instead.

I had notes on this book. I had lots to say, about the old fart (and surprisingly racist) main characters and the entertaining supporting characters, and the weird and twisty plots, and … so on. But I … don't care anymore. And yeah, my rating for this (and all of his other books)? Oops. Had a little slip there.

The only note I feel I have to retain is on this quote: "… after the dark realities of the previous two books I needed to write something lighter and funnier, so this is one of Bryant and May’s ‘sorbet stories’—something refreshing after a big meal."

The story is about a dead baby.

The usual disclaimer: I received this book via Netgalley for review. ( )
  Stewartry | Aug 13, 2016 |
As a book of short stories I enjoyed it immensely.. The two aged police detectives give vivid descriptions of London. I enjoy Mr. Fowlers writing immensely . I would love to read a full length novel by this author soon.

****I was given this book in exchange for an honest review**** ( )
  druidgirl | Jul 14, 2016 |
"London’s Glory: The Lost Cases of Bryant & May and the Peculiar Crimes Unit" is a collection of short stories about the elderly detectives Arthur Bryant and John May, beloved characters created by Christopher Fowler and featured in a series of novels that are all entertaining and enlightening, especially with respect to London and its history. I assume that these stories were previously published in magazines and such, but there is no publication information given here, which is a shame. What *is* included, however, is a delightful introduction in which Mr. Fowler discusses the reasons for enjoying mystery stories, and he also gives a brief background into the genesis of each of the eleven stories, which is particularly enjoyable for someone like me, a long-time reader who is very familiar with this series. Those introductions also should serve to whet the appetites of new readers, hopefully causing them to search out the novels! At the end of the book, we also get a brief synopsis of each of the novels, along with a very funny partial list of books (imaginary and real) on Arthur’s shelves, and an excerpt from "Bryant and May and the Burning Man," the most recent novel in the series. Most entertaining; highly recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Apr 13, 2016 |
For Clare, with love and pride
Introduction
Still Getting Away with Murder
Why have crime novels stuck around for so long?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,760,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible