Unanswered: Lasting Truth for Trending…

Unanswered: Lasting Truth for Trending Questions (edition 2015)

by Jeremiah J. Johnston (Author), Lee Strobel (Foreword)

392509,616 (5)None
We live in a radically skeptical age. Tough questions are being asked about Christianity. And most believers are ill-equipped to provide the answers our culture and communities desperately need. Many in today's church do not know the Bible as well as they should and they struggle with their own "big questions" about the faith. After receiving more than four thousand questions at his Christian Thinkers Society events over the span of six years, Dr. Jeremiah Johnston began to recognize six categories of recurring, trending questions that dominated the rest. In Unanswered, he tackles these tough issues that plague the minds of believers but are rarely addressed in church, such as... Why is it that God often seems to remain silent? How can we trust in the bodily resurrection of Jesus, and what does it mean for us today? What do Christians need to understand about suicide and mental illness? How should Christians respond to spiritual darkness and the obsession with paranormal activity? Why is biblical illiteracy so dangerous for Christians and the church? Why do we experience suffering and pain?  Unanswered will leave you enriched, characterized by a thinking faith, capable to communicate confidently, and committed to escape the tendency to offer trite answers to a skeptical world.  … (more)
Member:JonathanJArmstrong
Title:Unanswered: Lasting Truth for Trending Questions
Authors:Jeremiah J. Johnston (Author)
Other authors:Lee Strobel (Foreword)
Info:Whitaker House (2015), 224 pages
Collections:General Collection

Work Information

Unanswered: Lasting Truth for Trending Questions by Jeremiah J. Johnston

Unanswered: Lasting Truth for Trending Questions, written by Jeremiah J. Johnston, focuses on 6 tough questions taken from thousands of questions he received at his events. Topics covered are: when God does not answer prayer, the resurrection of Jesus, suicide and mental illness, paranormal allure among Christians, knowing “just enough” about the Bible, and pain and suffering. Each section of the book is finished with a short section he calls “Engagement Principles” in which he encourage us to take these answers to the world around us through leadership opportunities.

There are several parts of the book that I found very interesting. I found the author’s topic on the paranormal very interesting. He uses examples from the bible to teach us about testing the spirit and understand the the paranormal teaches a false gospel. I also found the part on pain and suffering very interesting. Many times when asked how we are, we simply say fine. This part of the book focuses on Paul and his writing in 2 Corinthians. Using Paul’s writings, the author stresses we should be honest about our pain and suffering. If we are suffering we should go to our pastors, our friends and share with them. We should not bottle things up and God does not want us to hide our emotions.

The part I appreciated the most was the section on mental illness. Of all the years of attending church, I have never heard a sermon on this topic. Yet I have heard many in the church whisper negative comments about people who struggle with mental illness. Many do not understand mental illness is an illness, just like diabetes and high cholesterol for example. And it needs to be treated and not looked down on. I appreciated the author spending the time to write about this, this helpful suggestions for talking with people with mental illness. As a wellness facilitator I really appreciated this. And I will be keeping this in mind when I am put in the situation of helping those who do not understand mental illness.

I received a copy of this book from Book Club Network for an honest review.
  eccl | Apr 17, 2016 |
When you ask a question don't you expect an answer? The problem with unanswered questions that we have about faith, God or Christianity is if we don't get an answer , we may decide it was not important . For some it may be that we start to believe false statements and our journey may take a different direction. I loved the authors' candor as he tackled tough questions. When we ask a question to God and don't receive an answer, we think He is not listening or maybe ignoring us. Of course that is not true but in the book he talks about God being silent in our lives for a reason. "God's silence is personal because it can be the agent of our transformation."

I was so enthralled with the statement of "memorial stones" in our lives. We all need to be reminded of times when He was there to help us through a hard time . Do we remember what He did for us? It's nice to remember those times and thank him for protecting us and perhaps growing our faith during those trials. I always remember people saying when you are in trouble , they don't hesitate to call out to Him. We also need to call out to Him and thank Him everyday for all He has done for us.

The chapter on mental illness and suicide was one of the best, most accurate accounts of this national epidemic. How many of us are guilty of letting the "beast' out when someone comes to us with a problem? We go into scripture quoting mode and make the person feel ashamed. The bottom line is people don't want to be lectured, they want to be loved and accepted. He goes on to say that no where in the bible does it say if you commit suicide that you are going to hell. What a bold statement. I have always been told the complete opposite. This doesn't mean He condones suicide, in fact it is "a poor testimony ."

There are so many great nuggets of revelation in this book that I feel like shouting from the rooftops. I'm thankful that I was able to read this book with clear eyes and an open heart. I encourage everyone looking for answers to take this book, study it and let the truth set you free. "Christians are not perfect, just forgiven ."

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | Apr 10, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,472,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible