HOSTILE WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The…

HOSTILE WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Rebecca Forster (Author)

Series: Witness (1)

6203729,784 (3.38)3
Some secrets aren't uncovered. They are unleashed... The national bestselling author is back with a gripping legal thriller of a brilliant lawyer caught between her client, a powerful family's hidden legacy, and the truth... Josie Baylor-Bates returns to the practice of criminal defense when her friend's sixteen-year-old daughter, Hannah, is arrested for the brutal slaying of her step-grandfather-a California Supreme Court justice. Although all evidence points to Hannah's guilt, her family's disturbing relations may play a more significant role than anyone could guess. As Josie unravels a circle of secrets, she discovers a shocking truth that could save her client-or destroy them all...… (more)
Member:Gmomaj
Title:HOSTILE WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 1)
Authors:Rebecca Forster (Author)
Info:(2009), 374 pages
Tags:KINDLE, eBook, Digital download, Unabridged, Josie Bates (fictional character), Murder, Step Grandfather, California, Criminal defense attorney, Juvenile charged as an adult, Politics, Families

Work Information

Hostile Witness by Rebecca Forster (2009)

When sixteen-year-old Hannah Sheraton is arrested for the murder of her step grandfather, the chief justice of the California Supreme court, her distraught mother turns to her old college roommate, Josie Baylor-Bates, for help. Josie, once a hot-shot criminal defense attorney, left the fast track behind for a small practice in Hermosa Beach, California. But Hannah Sheraton intrigues her and, when the girl is charged as an adult, Josie cannot turn her back. But the deeper she digs the more Josie realizes that politics, the law and family relationships create a combustible and dangerous situation. When the horrible truth is uncovered it can save Hannah Sheraton or destroy them both.
  Gmomaj | Jan 14, 2022 |
When sixteen-year-old Hannah Sheraton is arrested for the murder of her stepgrandfather, the chief justice of the California Supreme court, her distraught mother turns to her old college roommate, Josie Baylor-Bates, for help. Josie, once a hot-shot criminal defense attorney, left the fast track behind for a small practice in Hermosa Beach, California. But Hannah Sheraton intrigues her and, when the girl is charged as an adult, Josie cannot turn her back. But the deeper she digs the more Josie realizes that politics, the law and family relationships create a combustible and dangerous situation. When the horrible truth is uncovered it can save Hannah Sheraton or destroy them both.

"This story was inspired by a case my husband handled. As a superior court judge he had to sentence a minor to life in prison. It made me wonder how I felt about minors arrested for violent crimes. Are they most vulnerable among us - capable or horrible violence, perceived as adults and yet emotionally still children?" Rebecca Forster
  Gmomaj | Jan 11, 2022 |

Based on a real case of juveniles being tried as adults..
  Gmomaj | Dec 5, 2020 |
I've never read a legal thriller, and this was a nice diversion from my usual historical fiction and women's fiction genres.
The fast paced courtroom drama, family dysfunction and suspenseful twists made this novel a fascinating and quick read. Josie Bates, for the most part, is a flawed and unlikable protagonist. But, she's interesting enough to make me want to know more of her story.
This book was the perfect change of pace I was looking for. I'll definitely be coming back to read the rest of the series. ( )
  Penny_L | Jul 18, 2020 |
- but a superior one. Not so much a whodunnit as a whydunnit (or, as later becomes apparent, whynotdunnit) the plot follows the efforts of a defense attorney committed to doing the best for her client no matter what the cost to herself, the client or anyone else. The courtroom drama is handled expertly, although, for this reader, the delay of any forensic evidence until the last act strained the patience. Though the dialogue is well done, the characters and their relationships are from straight from central casting and the Ladybird Book of Writing for Dummies, but then that's not what we read this stuff for. A real page turner, the denoument is more satisfying than surprising. ( )
  jtck121166 | Jun 9, 2020 |

I love this book because I feel the characters so strongly. Josie, Hannah, Archer and all their beach crew are as alive to me as if they lived in Hermosa Beach on the Strand. I didn't know how special they would become when I wrote Hostile Witness though. It was never meant to be the beginning of a series. The editor who originally published this book suggested that I continue on, and I'm so glad she did. This book was inspired by a case my husband had (he's a judge). He had to sentence a sixteen-year-old boy to life in the adult prison for a horrendous murder. I started to wonder how I felt about teenagers being tried as adults and that one thought led me down many roads.  I am particularly intrigued by Hannah's relationship with her mother and Josie. I hope you will be, too. Rebecca Forster [retrieved 7/10/17 from Amazon.com]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,181,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible