On Thin Icing

by Ellie Alexander

Series: A Bakeshop Mystery (3)

Welcome to Torte - a small-town family bakeshop where the treats are killer good. It's the dead of winter in the sleepy town of Ashland, which means no tourists - and fewer customers - for Jules Capshaw and her bakery. But when she's asked to cater an off-season retreat for the directors of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, business starts heating up...until Jules finds a dead body in the freezer. Someone at the retreat has apparently iced the bartender, a well-known flirt with a legendary temper - that is, before a killer beat him to the punch. Then, from out of nowhere, Jules' own ex-husband shows up at the shop - and soon becomes a suspect. With accusations piling up higher than the snow - and thicker than a chocolate mousse cake - Jules has to think outside the (recipe) box to find the real culprit...and make sure he gets his just desserts.… (more)

Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
  fernandie | Sep 15, 2022 |
I read this series for Shakespeare and also for the baking, this entry in the series didn't have as much Shakespeare but it did have an interesting mystery that Jules solves while jiggling her catering work and love life. As her love life is left up in the air I'm looking forward to see what happens in the next book in the series. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
I am enjoying the Bakeshop Mysteries. This one is your locked door mystery in a sense. Jules and Sterling have set off from Ashland to Lake of the Woods, a lakeside resort in the Southern Oregon Cascades to cater a three day retreat for Lance and the Shakspeare Company Board. Shortly after everyone arrives, the worst snowstorm in history hits. They are snowed in with only one landline (no cell phone coverage up there) and sure to lose power. When Carlos (Jules estranged husband) shows up, it sets Jules or Julietta as he calls her, heart a flutter. When she finds the body of the obnoxious bartender on the second day, she starts to investigate as the police cannot get there. The Ashland police finally arrive and that complicates things even more for Jules. Now there are two men vying for her affections while she is just trying to bake and cook scrumptious meals.

The series is full of wonderful characters, enticing food descriptions (recipes included), and intriguing settings. Being in the warm Florida sun while reading this book made me think about being snowed in with my family back home and yearning for that. I like Jules very much. She is a strong character who stands up for what she believes in and is finally discovering her strengths and talents. The others who work at "Torte" the family bakery in Ashland are all different characters who add to the business and story. Carlos is a romantic who is head over heels in love with his Julietta and will do whatever it takes to get her back. He is a latin lover that all the women are attracted to, but he only has eyes for Jules.

This book could be read as a standalone, but I recommend you read them in order if you can. There is a lot of background and if you know it, you would enjoy the book much more. Otherwise, I recommend this book to cozy mystery lovers as well as those "foodies" who love to read about food and get new recipes to try. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
There are books you enjoy and there are books you hate, or almost worse, books that make you feel nothing at all. Then there are the books that are none of the above; these are the worst because they aren't bad - they might be good, but they don't hit the high notes for whatever reason.

On Thin Icing is just such a dreaded book. It's good: it's well written, it's well-edited and it's well plotted. I like the characters and the setting, but I put the book down and thought "I don't know...". It's a notch above meh. Which means I have no idea if I should send it and its siblings to the big black box or hang on for another one. Which leaves me feeling aggravated.

I think a large part of what's holding me back from 'true like' is the stupid stupid stupid love triangle. If you're going to introduce a married MC who is still in love with her husband (and he in love with her) why are you giving her another love interest?!?! This is the worst kind of love triangle and a level of emotional manipulation I despise, which I suppose says something about how enjoyable the rest of her writing is that I didn't send this sucker flying across the room.

I can't say if I recommend this book or not. Nor can I say if I'll continue with the series. I'm going to prevaricate and decide in July, when the next book comes out. If I see it and buying it feels like a duty, the series is outta here. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 12, 2016 |
It’s been many years since I experienced a blizzard and reading On Thin Icing had me shivering and very happy that I live in the desert. Alexander’s descriptions of the miserable weather makes you feel as if you are there – be it in the kitchen with the power threatening to go out, trying to keep warm while sleeping in an unheated cabin, or walking knee deep in fresh snow. I was as surprised as Jules to find her estranged husband, Carlos, making an unexpected visit. The tension between Carlos, the romantic Spaniard, and Thomas, the local no-nonsense detective, is so thick it could be cut with one of Jules’ bread knives. The descriptions of wines were enough to cause drooling, and of course, the food is to die for. Thank you, Ellie, for the recipe for Orange Cardamom Rolls. I will be trying them soon. As with any really good mystery, everything (well, almost everything) was wrapped up by the end, but we are left to wonder what will happen between Jules and Carlos. The idea of waiting months for the next installment is almost painful. Once again, a fabulous read!
~ Linda Thompson, Host of TheAuthorsShow.com ( )
  lst0222 | Jan 30, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,895,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible