Early Sunday Morning : the Pearl Harbor…
Recently added byHgrossman, Edoppes, KatherineWard, ncslions, HearSchool, barackj, mjperret, SLMormino, private library

I don't remember much of these books as individual books, but I remember reading them all as a young, avid reader. I think that ultimately these books are the reason why I love historical fiction novels so much. They all did such a great job of taking me to a different time and place and making it come alive, seeing the world through an older, historical lens. I highly recommend any of the Dear America books to younger readers who love history and need to get hooked on reading! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
Was a good fictional book about Pearl Harbor. I liked how the book kept you in suspense. ( )
  teachertran | Oct 31, 2017 |
Without realizing it, Amber does an excellent job of capturing the tension that people in Hawaii felt regarding the possible war with Japan. While Amber doesn’t always understand the reactions of the adults, as an adult reader, I do. This is a testament to the author’s writing. He does an excellent job of capturing the chaos, the shock, the blood, panic, and surprise, how in one morning, paradise became hell. The characters are engaging and well-rounded. In particular, I like Amber’s mother, and understood her actions, as an adult, in ways Amber could not. While the author does not spare the details of the attack or the hospital scenes after, this is acceptable for older elementary age readers. It’s an excellent introduction to Pearl Harbor and what happened after. Worth reading. ( )
  empress8411 | Feb 17, 2017 |
This story is about the bombing of Pearl Harbor and her account of what happened.
  ashermak | Oct 24, 2016 |
This is about a girl that moves often because of the dad job. She doe not like having to move from one city to the next and leaving her friend and missing school, just after getting settled in a city.

This diary starts out in Washington DC, it set in Washington DC until they move to Hawaii. The rest of the book is about her getting use to Oahu, Hawaii her new home. In the book she experiences the attack on Pearl Harbor. Her brother Andy and Amber see Japanese Plane flying over Early Sunday Morning. Amber does make a friend name Kame.

The book tell you about the history of the Attack on Pearl Harbor though the young girl in the story. This is another book in the series of Dear America. It based on the real thing. If you enjoy History, this is good book along with it good for young reader and Children. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Feb 22, 2016 |
When Daddy tapped his fork on his water glass last night and announced (in his usual, upbeat fashion) that he had "exciting news for the entire Billows family" (he always refers to us as "The Billows family," as if we were one of his favorite radio shows), everyone knew what was coming next.

On the heels of the much-anticipated movie "Pearl Harbor", acclaimed author Barry Dennenberg has written a moving story of one girl's devasting expenrience at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941.

Pearl Harbor, on the Island of O'ahu, Hawaii, was attacked by the Japanese Imperial Navy at approximately 8:00 A.M., Sunday morning, December 7, 1941. The surprise attack involved a striking force of 353 Japanese aircraft. Nineteen U.S. ships, including five battleships, and about 150 U.S planes were destroyed; more than 2,300 soldiers, sailors and civilians were killed. President Roosevelt declared that it was "a day that will live in infamy." On December 8, Congress declared a state of war with Japan; three days later Germany and Italy declared was on the United States.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:34 -0400)

In her diary, twelve-year-old Amber describes moving to Hawaii in 1941 and experiencing the horror of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,320,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible