My story, my dance : Robert Battle's journey…

My story, my dance : Robert Battle's journey to Ailey (edition 2015)

by Lesa Cline-Ransome, James Ransome (Illustrator.)

A boy discovers his passion for dance and becomes a modern hero in this inspiring picture book biography of Robert Battle, artistic director of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.
Member:TLRC
Title:My story, my dance : Robert Battle's journey to Ailey
Authors:Lesa Cline-Ransome
Other authors:James Ransome (Illustrator.)
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster Books for Young readers, [2015]

Work Information

My Story, My Dance: Robert Battle's Journey to Alvin Ailey by Lesa Cline-Ransome

"Only the third person to direct the esteemed and much-loved American dance company, Battle represents a strong line that celebrates African-American music, faith, and dance.

Much as the spirituality and power of the African-American church infused Alvin Ailey’s signature work, Revelations, with beauty, sorrow, humor, and pride, so attendance at a performance of that dance work inspired a young African-American boy from Miami to pursue a career in modern dance. Cline-Ransome recounts Robert Battle’s childhood struggles and his loving, supportive family in a warmly written narrative. She follows his meteoric career to New York City, studying at Juilliard, dancing and choreographing for modern companies, and finally following Alvin Ailey and Judith Jamison to become director of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. Her collaborator (and husband) uses pastels in full-page bleeds to depict both family scenes and practice sessions in studios. A double-page spread showcases the joyous and often encored last movement of Revelations, while panels and pages of colorfully outlined sketches evoke the precision and drama of dance movement. An especially beautifully conceived image is on the cover, capturing Battle in a moment of intensely emotional concentration.

An ongoing success story for all readers and especially Ailey’s worldwide legion of fans. (foreword by Battle, author’s note, illustrator’s note, bibliography, further reading, photographs)" From Kirkus Reviews, www.kirkusreviews.com (a kirkus starred review)
  CDJLibrary | Jan 27, 2021 |
Lesa Cline- Ransom writes the story of Robert Battles, a bow-legged boy who grows up with a passion for music and dance. The story follows his journey from a church choir in Miami all the way to Robert becoming the director of Alvin Alley. ( )
  ebrossette | Jan 21, 2020 |
As a dancer, I think this book is stunning. Though it also tells a true story of a man who expresses himself and the past of his ancestors through dance. Pain, loss, joy and love are explored. Beautiful, emotional illustrations.
  bault | Aug 15, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book. I appreciate that it speaks to diverse students, which is necessary in today's times. The themes of hard work, dedication, dreams, and family are ever-present. This story could absolutely be used in the classroom. Not only is the story inspirational, but the illustrations are beautiful and the language is clear.
  CMcNeely | Mar 18, 2017 |
My Story, My Dance: Robert Battle’s Journey to Alvin Ailey is written by Lesa Cline-Ransome and illustrated by James E. Ransome. This husband and wife collaboration is a great story about Robert Battle’s difficulties in his life as a young boy and how he overcomes them in order to be the artistic director of the Alvin Ailey Center. I enjoyed this book because I have an extensive dance background and already knew who Alvin Ailey was, so I like learning about Robert Battle and seeing his story and background.

The main idea of this book is to continue to follow your dreams and reach your goals despite what obstacles occur along the way. This idea is great for readers and is the exact reason why everyone should read this book. “Outside the comfort of church and the haven of home, Robert was called names that hurt worse than his leg braces ever had”. This show that Robert never gave up despite what people tried to say to bring him down.

The illustrations by James Ransome are so amazing. He captures the movement of dance in his work and the emotion in the characters’ faces. All readers should take the journey with Robert Battle to see how he gets to Alvin Ailey. ( )
  rleary2 | Apr 2, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,455,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible