Dukes Are Forever

by Anna Harrington

ALL'S FAIR IN LOVE Battlefields and barrooms hold much more interest for Edward Westover, Duke of Swarthmore, than a little girl's fondness for dolls and lace. When he takes possession of his enemy's estate, everything that villain held dear-including his daughter-belongs to Edward. Hire a governess, arrange a dowry, give a few reassurances, and be off on his way-that's Edward's plan. But he's in for the shock of his life. For his new ward is a beautiful, impetuous, and utterly irresistible woman . . . . . . AND WAR Kate Benton is stunned. Who is this arrogant, infuriating man who's invited himself into her home and taken over her life? Her vow: to do everything in her power to convince him to leave her-and Brambly House-alone. Yet as chilly days melt into sultry nights, Kate sees glimpses of kindness underneath Edward's cool façade . . . and a passionate nature that takes her breath away. There's so much she doesn't know about this man. But does she dare trust this devilish duke with her heart?… (more)

A sweet and salty romance. Anna Harrington is an author that will be on my radar regularly in the future. I requested an ARC if Dukes are Forever in exchange for an honest review. Ms. Harrington's work is a cross between Gone with the Wind and Beauty and the Beast. In Kate she found a character that was not a weakling but was forced to endure having little to no control over her circumstances. I liked her because her personality was one of a fighter. She would not let herself be taken advantage of. Didn't like Edward, AT FIRST. The hotheaded temperament he had made him come off as a jerk to me. His emotions led him to make some questionable choices. I did not like how he tried to railroad Kate. Dukes are Forever was wild, seductive, imaginative and bedazzling. I enjoyed it and look forward to hearing more from this author. ( )
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
1.5 stars

Started off very cliched and then insta-lust hit our hero. The technical writing was good so I hung in but the story meanders a lot and I lost interest because I have to use the word cliched again. The story takes parts from the "typical" regency historical (duke, ward, a blown out of proportion betrayal, misunderstandings) so you have a bit of been there done that, without a lot of charm or spark. The components also felt a little lost in the way they were arranged. There was a lot of sex happening and pretty soon (too soon for me as I didn't feel the character's connection and pre-martial sex could be a dangerous undertaking for regency women). This one just didn't work for me. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
It seems to me that there are two kinds of debut romance novelists: those who trust in cliches, and those who do their best to write around them. Anna Harrington falls into the first category so heavily that it's not even funny. A brooding ex-soldier and current duke Edward Westover gets an unwanted ward: an innocent yet feisty red head who is totally different from all the other women he's ever known. There's lust in the air from the moment they meet, which leads to page after page of heated looks and quivering. They give into their mutual desire under circumstances that are an actual romance trope They look for shelter from the storm and end up in a deserted cottage. The mandatory conflict happens, when Kate, the heroine (stupidly, yet somewhat understandably) breaks one of Edward's orders. Because he's a single-minded jerk, who has been betrayed by a woman before, the punishment is absurdly severe. They have to deal with a duel, an evil father and a well-meaning aunt before they get their happy ending. Readers have even more to deal with, because we have to sit through lots of procrastinating and some boringly written sexual encounters before the story is done. I haven't read a romance this boring in ages, and don't recommend this to anyone looking for a quality read. ( )
  julienne_preacher | Oct 8, 2017 |
Sizzling! Captivating!! Breathtaking!!! Romantic!!!!

Without a doubt, "Dukes Are Forever" book one in The Secret Life of Scoundrels by Anna Harrington is a delight from start to finish. As a new voice in the romance genre, Anna Harrington is truly a gift to fans of regency era novels. Her writing is emotional, dramatic, and addictive.

Edward Westover, Duke of Strathmore has one goal in mind - to seek revenge on the one man who killed the two people he loved most in this world. After plotting his revenge, he thought he had the perfect plan to destroy his enemy. There was only one problem - his daughter. The two things Kate Benton loves most in this world are her home, Brambly, and her medicine. She only has one obstacle - Edward. Unexpectedly, her world is turned up-side-down when Edward becomes her guardian forcing her to relinquish her freedom to his desires. His biggest desire - her! The sparks between Edward and Kate burn through the pages as their tension filled passion is exposed.

If you are like me and cannot get enough of an emotional page turner, than "Dukes Are Forever" is a must read for you. Edward and Kate's love affair is a passion filled journey which is erotic, jubilant, and heartbreaking. Happy reading! ( )
  OliviaJayne | Sep 6, 2016 |
Revenge, intrigue, witty banter, romance and all the steamy bits you could want, there really isn't anything more you could ask for in a debut novel. I love Edward as a character and Kate is such an alluring spitfire you can't help but love.

The characters are charming, the story is captivating and the love scenes are to die for! Everything about this book in engaging. I love to see changes happen in characters naturally and the author accomplished just that. I look forward to reading everything this author puts out! ( )
  KaylaHayley | May 3, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,198,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible