Dressed To Kilt by Hannah Reed
Aspiring romance author Eden Elliott investigates a twisty murder that leaves her small Scottish village both shaken and stirred.

This tightly plotted mystery introduces readers to something that they should not miss while they are in the Highlands: the whisky distillery. Whisky is big business, and there are tours that will take you from one distillery to another, although there's no need to do that here with one right in the book.

Besides whisky, we also have samples of a truly cringeworthy Ugly American, and the fine art of writing romance novels-- which is why Eden went there in the first place. In order to solve the murder, Eden is forced to delve into her own family history whether she wants to or not, and Inspector Jamieson appears to be relying on her more and more as the series progresses. Which brings me to my sticking point.

I still can't buy into the idea that a newly-arrived American who's completely unfamiliar with Scottish law would be made a constable in the police force. Yes, it's a tiny village. Yes, she is just a Special Constable... but I just can't buy into it. However, that does not mean I can't recognize well-developed characters and finely crafted mysteries when I see them, and Hannah Reed's Scottish Highlands series is both enjoyable and well-written. ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 25, 2016 |
Romance writer Eden Elliott remains in Glenkillen, Scotland, looking for inspiration, and peace after the death of her mother. She’s invited to attend an exclusive whiskey tasting at the Glenkillen distillery, owned by Bridie Dougal. The only reason she’s attending is that her invitation comes from her would-be beau Leith Cameron.

But while the party is in full swing, a woman’s body is found, drowned in in the distillery proper. Henrietta McCloud is the victim. For decades, she has been the companion and care-giver for Bridie Dougal. Now that she’s dead, Eden Elliott is part of the team investigating her murder. Eden’s a “special constable,” a volunteer position, and she’s helping Inspector Kevin Jamieson interview witnesses and suspects.

Meanwhile, Bridie wants to connect Eden with her Scottish roots – specifically Eden’s dad, who abandoned her and her mother when Eden was just six years old. But no one knows what happened to him after he fled Chicago for his homeland. And Eden wants no part of him. She loves her new Scottish home and friends -- and is NOT looking forward to her departure a few weeks hence when her tourist visa expires.

This “Scottish Highland Mystery” is part of a wonderful series that I’ve been reading from the start. The setting is lovely, the plots just complex enough, and the characters superb … there’s not a thing I can find fault with. Dressed to Kill turns out to be a pivotal book in the series, and I can’t wait for the next one! ( )
  NewsieQ | Jul 28, 2016 |
Dressed to Kilt by Hannah Reed is the third book in A Scottish Highlands Mystery series. Eden Elliott is in Glenkillen, Scotland (in the Scottish Highlands) to work on her Highlands Desire Series (new romance series). Her friend, Ami Penderson, convinced her to go to Scotland and work to add authenticity to her books. Eden has been staying in a cottage on MacBride Farm. Eden met Vicki MacBride on the airplane from London. Eden’s six-month tourist visa is getting ready to expire (but Eden really does not want to leave), so she has little time left spend with friends and explore the area. Leith Cameron is a local barley supplier and Eden’s romantic interest. Leith invites Eden to a whiskey tasting at Glenkillen Distillery. It is a special event for a select few hosted by Bridie Dougal, the owner of Glenkillen Distillery (and chieftain of the Dougal clan). Eden is getting a tour of the distillery when she sees an arm sticking out of a washback. Eden rushes over to see if she can help. Eden finds Henrietta dead. Henrietta McCloud is Bridie’s long-time companion. Detective Inspector Kevin Jamieson soon arrives on the scene along with Sean Stevens. Who would want to hurt Henrietta and why did she want to speak with Eden (asked to meet with her after the whiskey tasting event)? Eden assists with the case as the local Special Constable (a volunteer position). It turns out that Bridie knew Eden’s grandfather and father. Eden has not heard from her father since she was six years old (when he went to Scotland to attend his father’s funeral). Being in Scotland is Eden’s chance to find out about her family and what happened to her father, but Eden has resisted. It looks like the door to the past has swung open and Eden has no choice but to enter. Join Eden as she sets out to find Henrietta’s killer and why her father never returned to his family.

Dressed to Kilt may be the third book in the series, but you can read it alone (I have not had a chance to read the other books in the series yet). The book is nicely written and easy to read (has a good pace for the most part). I had some trouble liking Eden (I will probably warm up to her). I thought Eden spent too much time thinking and analyzing (and complaining). We are subject to her rambling thoughts (pages and pages of them). I wish the writer had provided more clues to the mystery (instead of complaints about Eden’s father which dominated the story). The mystery was twisty and curvy which was enjoyable. Some of the characters speak with a Scottish accent (of course), but it is difficult to read (comprehend). I give Dressed to Kilt 4 out of 5 stars (the mystery improved the rating). I will be reading the next book in the series. I believe Eden will improve (I hope) now that her daddy issues have been resolved.

I received a complimentary copy of Dressed to Kilt from NetGalley (and the publisher) in exchange for an honest evaluation of the book. The opinions and comments expressed are strictly my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jul 17, 2016 |
Dressed To Kilt is the third book in the A Scottish Highlands Mystery series.

Once again Hannah Reed brings the Scottish Highlands alive for the readers with a very exciting and interesting story of life in the “snow globe” of Glenkillen.

Eden Elliott has only a couple of weeks left on her visitors Visa and must return to the States. Amidst the worse snow storms in decades, Eden has received an invitation to a private whisky tasting at Glenkillen Distillery. She soon finds out that Leith has also gotten an invitation, which isn't that surprising as he supplies the barley to the distillery, but the odd thing is that they were from each other. Then Eden gets a call from Bridie Dougal, the matriarch of the distillery family, asking Eden to tea the afternoon of the tasting. Bridie feels she has some information of Eden's long lost father. This is information that is best left in the past, Eden feels.

As the small gathering is enjoying the enjoying the tasting, Eden is given a tour of the warehouse of the distillery by Gordon Martin, who works at the distillery and is Bridie's housekeeper's son. As Martin is explaining the use of barrels and the vats on the floor is front of the barrels, they find the body of Henrietta, Martin's aunt, drowned in whisky.

As a Special Constable, Eden begins working with DI Kevin Jamison to find the killer. An anonymous letter had threatening death had been received a week of so earlier, but with no name given, no one knew for sure who the intended victim might have been. Henrietta tended to be quite short when dealing with people, but it wasn't felt that it was enough for someone to murder her. As Eden begins to gather information it appears that her long lost father, might, in some way be involved. She doesn't want to have any contact with her father, but she does want to get the case solved before having to leave Scotland and return to Chicago.

Definitely, will be looking forward to another visit to Glenkillen. ( )
  FredYoder | Jul 2, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,776,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible