Singing the Living Tradition

by Unitarian Universalist Association

Quoting from the preface of this work: "Fully a third of the book is the work of Canadian and American Unitarian Universalists, present and past. But in this age of global awareness, we felt it imperative to reach out to other Unitarian Universalist traditions worldwide, and have included works from Nigeria, the Philippines, India, England, Transylvania, and Czechoslovakia. Music and texts from six continents are here, and words from the world's sacred writings. In selecting passages from the Bible we elected to use several versions to better engage the diversity of modern minds and hearts."

Indexes include: Index of First Lines and Titles of Readings, Topical Index of Readings, Index of Composers, Arrangers, Authors, Translators, and Sources, Alphabetical Index of Tunes, Metrical Index of Tunes, Topical Index of Hymns, Index of First Lines and Titles of Hymns.
  uufnn | Dec 2, 2015 |
This is out standard hymnal. I've used it many times for services, and easily found songs and readings to match my topic. One of our pianists did a service on this hymnal, explainng the notations, indexes, topics, lyrisists, etc. WARNING! Sing a new selection before you use it in a service. Get a song leader. And especially DON"T use more than one new song in a service. ( )
  vesprem | Mar 1, 2007 |
Organized in topical Sections, which "topics" are interesting but not functionally helpful for a person in charge of a program: "Hymns-transcending mystery and wonder"? "Words and Deeds of Prophetic Men and Women" ? "Wisdom of the World"?
AMAZING GRACE in two different keys, with an alternative, more swung and syncopated accompaniment, with the same John Newton lyrics. ( )
  keylawk | Feb 12, 2007 |
Preface -- Though the pages of this hymnbook are being bound in the twentieth century, they will open into the twenty-first. That realization permeated our work, for these will be simultaneously the last words of one era and the first words of the next. We remember the phrase of our predecessors: "Religion is a present reality; it is also an inheritance." Or to use a more current expression, a living faith must have both roots and wings. A hymnbook is one place where we find both.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,314,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible