Grimms' Fairy Tales (Puffin Classics) by…

Grimms' Fairy Tales (Puffin Classics) (edition 2011)

by Brothers Grimm (Author)

An illustrated collection of fifty-two traditional tales collected by the Grimm brothers.
Member:beaa1004
Title:Grimms' Fairy Tales (Puffin Classics)
Authors:Brothers Grimm (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2011), Edition: Illustrated, 371 pages

Work Information

Grimms' Fairy Tales (Puffin Classics) by Jacob Grimm

Rereading this in bits and pieces to my son, I enjoyed revisiting these fairy tales, some of which I barely remembered. The familiar ones are all here, but it was the unfamiliar ones which stood out the most, especially the ones featuring animals, which were often quite funny. My favorites were "The Traveling Musicians" and "Old Sultan." ( )
1 vote sturlington | Nov 7, 2014 |
A shorter collection of tales. This review refers to the Puffin Story Book edition.

If you have any interest in folklore, you really ought to look at the Grimms' stories. They've served as a jumping off point for many other authors, and have infiltrated the public subconscious in a pretty big way.

This collection includes many of their better-known stories, such as Cinderella, Tom Thumb and the Twelve Dancing Princesses. There are also some more obscure tales, and a few of the other stories aren't quite what we would expect. Hansel and Gretel, for example, is a completely different story here; the children are abandoned in the woods, but there are no witches, gingerbread houses or breadcrumbs.

The tales are lively and interesting, but it's important to remember that they run on fairy tale logic. They aren't cleverly plotted; in fact, many of them seem to be simply a collection of incidents with no attention whatsoever paid to plot. They're often strange and dreamlike. I found myself unable to read more than a few at a time. They're important in a cultural sense and can often give us a good idea of human psychology through the ages, but I'm not sure I really connected with them in any other way. As far as entertainment value goes, I prefer to take these in small doses. ( )
1 vote xicanti | Dec 31, 2007 |

Grimm, Jacobprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Wilhelmmain authorall editionsconfirmed
The Puffin Classics edition contains 52 tales only and should not be combined with the complete edition, or different selections!

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,350,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible