Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Infidel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Member:Amanda_Carlson
Title:Infidel
Authors:Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Info:Free Press (2008), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Wishlist, History, Favorites (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:Politics

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (2007)

In the Land of Invisible Women by Qanta Ahmed (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: A perspective on women's place in Islam from a modern, western muslim woman who experiences life in Saudi Arabia. Her ideas about the Koran are polar-opposite.
    Slave: My True Story by Mende Nazer (howelson)
    howelson: Another strong woman. Mende Nazar survives slavery in Africa and the United Kingdom.
    Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: This book has a similar view of Islam, and is also a very intense perspective of life in a culture that does not permit diverse thought.
    Jesus, Jihad and Peace: What Does Bible Prophecy Say About World Events Today? by Michael Youssef (ElizabethWard)
    ElizabethWard: Both books take an honest look at Islam - one from a Christian perspective, the other from an atheist (former Moslem's) perspective.
    Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: How each woman, in two different religions, escaped from the binding expectations of her own religion's fervent religious requirements and expectations. Both are excellent autobiographies.
    Why I Am Not a Muslim by Ibn Warraq (Anonymous user)
    My Isl@m : how fundamentalism stole my mind--and doubt freed my soul by Amir Ahmad Nasr (TomWaitsTables)
    Shame by Jasvinder Sanghera (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: both are memoirs written by brave women who chose to stand up for themselves and not agree to be sacrificed for some traditional concept of “family honour.” Both women over came considerable odds to get an education, and now are using their brains and experience to assist others.… (more)

English (150)  Dutch (4)  Danish (2)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (159)
THis book was great she tells a great story and it kept me captivated the entire time....I loved it ( )
  LaBla | Feb 6, 2016 |
Ayaan's story was fascinating. The book is autobiographical, and begins with her earliest childhood memories, full of Somali culture and what it was like growing up in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, and Kenya. Only in the last part of the book does current events and politics catch up. Her thought process as she examines women's roles in Islamic culture and examining her own religion is very powerful. It makes it very easy to understand how women endure so much. Highly recommended reading! ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
No matter what your opinions or beliefs, it is important to regularly interrogate them. To confront and consider the views of those with whom we disagree.

I have watched Ayaan Hirsi Ali in interviews and already knew that I disagreed with what she espouses, so I approached her book with a great deal of trepidation. What I found was a well-written, fascinating story of a life so different from my own that it defies my comprehension.

There are two parts to this book, though, in my opinion, they do not match those published, which separate Hirsi Ali's life in Africa and the Middle East from her life in the Netherlands. To my mind, the first follows her journey with her faith: her childhood, her family, and her initial exposure to life in the West. The second tracks her political life, providing a platform for her to voice her perspective on Islam and its position in Dutch society.

I still do not agree with her opinions but I respect Ayaan Hirsi Ali's life and her bravery. A very worthwhile read. ( )
  LordKinbote | Jan 22, 2016 |

Hirsi Ali, Ayaanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hitchens, ChristopherForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Abeh, Ma, Ayeeyo (Grandma), Mahad
And in loving memory of Haweya
One November morning in 2004, Theo van Gogh got up to go to work at his film production company in Amsterdam.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali captured the world’s attention with Infidel, her coming-of-age memoir, which spent thirty-one weeks on the New York Times bestseller list.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is one of today’s most admired and controversial political figures. She burst into international headlines following the murder of Theo van Gogh by an Islamist who threatened she would be next; and she made headlines again when she was stripped of her citizenship and forced to resign from the Dutch Parliament.

Infidel shows the coming of age of this elegant, distinguished—and sometimes reviled—political superstar and champion of free speech—the development of her beliefs, iron will, and extraordinary determination to fight injustice done in the name of religion. Raised in a strict Muslim family, Hirsi Ali survived civil war, female circumcision, brutal beatings, an adolescence as a devout believer, the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood, and life in four countries under dictatorships. She escaped from a forced marriage and sought asylum in the Netherlands, where she fought for the rights of Muslim women and the reform of Islam, earning her the enmity of reactionary Islamists and craven politicians.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:08 -0400)

Ayaan Hirsi Ali tells her life story. An advocate for free speech and women's rights, Hirsi Ali lives under armed protection because of her outspoken criticism of the Islamic faith in which she was raised.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,076,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible