The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman

The Masked City (2016)

by Genevieve Cogman

Highly regarded but did not catch my interest ( )
  jamespurcell | Jan 24, 2017 |
I want more!! ( )
  hanghuhn | Jan 9, 2017 |
Review for "The Invisible Library" (v.1) and "The Masked City" (v.2):

I really enjoyed "The Invisible Library" and "The Masked City". The series was a little stiff at the outset -- a little contrived -- but by the second book, the mythology is settling in. I like the world-building -- dragons, creatures of order (and nature); fae, creatures of chaos (and fiction); and Librarians / the Library, ostensibly "neutral" but actually some sort of ally of Order. Although since the Librarians particularly value works of fiction isn't that, you know, valuing Chaos? Or is it not Chaotic if the fiction is contained within a book contained within the Library ...?

The admirably competent Irene (a Librarian), the Sherlockian Vale, and the naive but sexy draconic sidekick (a maiden in peril in book 2) are fun twists on character types. I am hopeful that eventually all three will hook up to explore the sexual tension that exists between each of the pairs. Plotting and dialog are amusing, and uses of detail and magic also entertaining.

Recommended, and I'll look for Book 3. ( )
  lquilter | Dec 19, 2016 |
This series continues to be great fun to read, and Irene continues to be engaging and resourceful. More! ( )
  sloopjonb | Dec 15, 2016 |
The second book of the Invisible Library Novel - In this one, Kai, our young dragon librarian in training is abducted into one of the chaos worlds- where the world changes to the whim of those that have poser. Irene needs to rescue Kai, but in a way that doesn't start a war, cause troubles for her Employer, the Invisible Library, and do it before Kai succumbs to the powers of chaos....

Its an interesting world. The tension between chaos and order, with the library in the middle makes for an interesting world. Irene is a capable character, one who is competent, follows the rules (mostly) and really wants to do whats best. This second volume is not as good as the first, but we do get to see fae politics at work. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 11, 2016 |
Thank you, again, to everyone who helped with this book. Thank you to my agent, Lucienne Diver, who helped me find monsters in the depths of London, and my editor Bella Pagan, who is marvelous at her job and to whom this book owes a great deal. Thanks to my beta-readers, my friends, my family, my supporters, and the classifications team at work. Your help is very much appreciated. And many thanks to the beautiful city of Venice, which deserves far better writing than I have been able to give it.
The London air was full of smog and filth.

Librarian-spy
Irene Winters needs to save
her assistant Kai.
(passion4reading)

38 wanted3 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,449,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible