The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman

The Masked City (2016)

by Genevieve Cogman

2671942,587 (3.86)9

After reading and loving the first and third book in this series was I thrilled to get my hands on book two. After reading book three, The Burning Page, did I know the outcome of this book, but I still really wanted to read more about the kidnapping of Kai. And, yes, this book was good, but I also felt that I had some serious problem with really getting into the story. The whole, it's not you, it's me kind of situation that one can have with books now and then. I really wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't. It's not a badly written book, it's just that the story was not to my liking completely.

Now, this can be because I knew the storyline and some of the things that happened in the book in advance. However, I do not think that the whole problem because I have read books in different order before and that has been OK. I'm pretty sure that the story in this book just didn't work out for in the same way as the other because the villains in this book just didn't rock my boat. I loved to once again read about Irene, Vale, and Kai, but my heart wasn't really in this story. But, I often felt that I lost the focus while I read, it got a bit better when Vale was introduced into the story again after being left behind when Irene traveled to Venice to find Kai.

I do think the best part of the book was in the beginning when Irene wasn't sure of whom had kidnapped Kai and had to visit his (very dangerous) relatives. Also, the other books I have read in this series was funnier (and more engrossing) than this was. The whole Venice part of the story, well it just didn't really work for me. I didn't feel it interested me, and as I wrote before did I missed Vale and thankfully the story got better when I showed up, at least a little better...

Still, The Masked City is not a bad book, it has its moments. I especially liked the last chapter where Irene listed her five favorite book-heist tales.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Highly regarded but did not catch my interest ( )
  jamespurcell | Jan 24, 2017 |
I want more!! ( )
  hanghuhn | Jan 9, 2017 |
Review for "The Invisible Library" (v.1) and "The Masked City" (v.2):

I really enjoyed "The Invisible Library" and "The Masked City". The series was a little stiff at the outset -- a little contrived -- but by the second book, the mythology is settling in. I like the world-building -- dragons, creatures of order (and nature); fae, creatures of chaos (and fiction); and Librarians / the Library, ostensibly "neutral" but actually some sort of ally of Order. Although since the Librarians particularly value works of fiction isn't that, you know, valuing Chaos? Or is it not Chaotic if the fiction is contained within a book contained within the Library ...?

The admirably competent Irene (a Librarian), the Sherlockian Vale, and the naive but sexy draconic sidekick (a maiden in peril in book 2) are fun twists on character types. I am hopeful that eventually all three will hook up to explore the sexual tension that exists between each of the pairs. Plotting and dialog are amusing, and uses of detail and magic also entertaining.

Recommended, and I'll look for Book 3. ( )
  lquilter | Dec 19, 2016 |
This series continues to be great fun to read, and Irene continues to be engaging and resourceful. More! ( )
  sloopjonb | Dec 15, 2016 |
Thank you, again, to everyone who helped with this book. Thank you to my agent, Lucienne Diver, who helped me find monsters in the depths of London, and my editor Bella Pagan, who is marvelous at her job and to whom this book owes a great deal. Thanks to my beta-readers, my friends, my family, my supporters, and the classifications team at work. Your help is very much appreciated. And many thanks to the beautiful city of Venice, which deserves far better writing than I have been able to give it.
The London air was full of smog and filth.

Librarian-spy
Irene Winters needs to save
her assistant Kai.
(passion4reading)

38 wanted3 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,768,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible