The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman

The Masked City (2016)

by Genevieve Cogman

English (23)  German (1)  All (24)
Another adventure for Irene, Kai and Vail in an alternate Venice. ( )
  EvaW | Jun 13, 2017 |
Every book in this series honestly gets better and better. There is more depth to each successive plot even though they are all connected and the characters become more complex. Strangely, my favorite thing has ending up being Irene's internal dialogue as she learns how to be a leader, questions her motivations on decisions, and thinks through her friendships and alliances. She isn't a perfect heroine but she's a strong, intelligent, capable one and that's better than perfect.

http://webereading.com/2017/05/the-invisible-library-continued.html ( )
  klpm | Jun 4, 2017 |
Almost impossibly good. The stories are tightly woven, with strong characters behaving in believable ways. The complex plots occur in strange settings, but there is not the feeling of rescue by deus ex machina or incredibly unlikely strokes of luck. The world(s) Cogman creates is coherent and vividly drawn.

Like most of the recent book series about magical libraries, the protagonist of The Invisible Library series is female. Unlike most of the others that I have read, though, Irene's sex is mostly irrelevant to the plot and its unfolding (e.g., she rarely is self-conscious of the fact that she's a girl with attendant problems like annoying brothers, etc.). What we see is a strong, capable woman who just happens to be a woman. It's not that that fact is never relevant to the action, but it is not problematized. This is a refreshing change, and a significant achievement in the representation of females in this genre. ( )
  dono421846 | Jun 3, 2017 |
In which Irene, covert agent of the Invisible Library, has to rescue her aristocratic assistant from the clutches of Fae agent provocateurs before said aristocrats (who happen to be dragons) start laying waste to whole worlds just on general principle. While I'm again putting this book in the class of stories I respected more than I liked, that Cogman delves more into the affairs of Fae and dragons peaked my interest in the series enough to keep moving forward. ( )
  Shrike58 | May 8, 2017 |
After reading and loving the first and third book in this series was I thrilled to get my hands on book two. After reading book three, The Burning Page, did I know the outcome of this book, but I still really wanted to read more about the kidnapping of Kai. And, yes, this book was good, but I also felt that I had some serious problem with really getting into the story. The whole, it's not you, it's me kind of situation that one can have with books now and then. I really wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't. It's not a badly written book, it's just that the story was not to my liking completely.

Now, this can be because I knew the storyline and some of the things that happened in the book in advance. However, I do not think that the whole problem because I have read books in different order before and that has been OK. I'm pretty sure that the story in this book just didn't work out for in the same way as the other because the villains in this book just didn't rock my boat. I loved to once again read about Irene, Vale, and Kai, but my heart wasn't really in this story. But, I often felt that I lost the focus while I read, it got a bit better when Vale was introduced into the story again after being left behind when Irene traveled to Venice to find Kai.

I do think the best part of the book was in the beginning when Irene wasn't sure of whom had kidnapped Kai and had to visit his (very dangerous) relatives. Also, the other books I have read in this series was funnier (and more engrossing) than this was. The whole Venice part of the story, well it just didn't really work for me. I didn't feel it interested me, and as I wrote before did I missed Vale and thankfully the story got better when I showed up, at least a little better...

Still, The Masked City is not a bad book, it has its moments. I especially liked the last chapter where Irene listed her five favorite book-heist tales.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Thank you, again, to everyone who helped with this book. Thank you to my agent, Lucienne Diver, who helped me find monsters in the depths of London, and my editor Bella Pagan, who is marvelous at her job and to whom this book owes a great deal. Thanks to my beta-readers, my friends, my family, my supporters, and the classifications team at work. Your help is very much appreciated. And many thanks to the beautiful city of Venice, which deserves far better writing than I have been able to give it.
The London air was full of smog and filth.

Librarian-spy
Irene Winters needs to save
her assistant Kai.
(passion4reading)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,316,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible