The masked city by Genevieve Cogman

The masked city (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Genevieve Cogman

"Librarian-spy Irene and her apprentice Kai are back in the second in this "dazzling"* book-filled fantasy series from the author of The Invisible Library. The written word is mightier than the sword--most of the time... Working in an alternate version of Victorian London, Librarian-spy Irene has settled into a routine, collecting important fiction for the mysterious Library and blending in nicely with the local culture. But when her apprentice, Kai--a dragon of royal descent--is kidnapped by the Fae, her carefully crafted undercover operation begins to crumble. Kai's abduction could incite a conflict between the forces of chaos and order that would devastate all worlds and all dimensions. To keep humanity from getting caught in the crossfire, Irene will have to team up with a local Fae leader to travel deep into a version of Venice filled with dark magic, strange coincidences, and a perpetual celebration of Carnival--and save her friend before he becomes the first casualty of a catastrophic war. But navigating the tumultuous landscape of Fae politics will take more than Irene's book-smarts and fast-talking--to ward off Armageddon, she might have to sacrifice everything she holds dear.... INCLUDES AUTHOR INTERVIEW"--… (more)
Member:bobf32
Title:The masked city
Authors:Genevieve Cogman
Info:London : Pan Books, 2015.

The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman (2015)

English (50)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
This story disappointed me. I couldn't find a "why" behind its existence. Very few of the characters from the previous book featured prominently and there seemed to be a lot of false leads in the writing which makes it seem like it doesn't have an overall series plot (compared to, say, Harry Potter). Which is really sad. Because I think this story has potential. The grammar and sentence structure improved, but the rules of the universe seemed nonexistent and this was made even more apparent during the travel to Venice and when Vale showed up in Venice. Irene, instead of asking herself "what on earth is he doing here?" blinks and asks how he got there. I feel like Vale could be a more interesting character if this were plotted a little more carefully. Also, the cliff-hanger chapter endings were missing. And, again, the relationships seem to be moving wayyyyy too fast. Irene is supposed to be a world-weary, experienced Librarian. This whole "want to touch his cheekbones" thing is ridiculous. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |

The exciting new sequel to The Invisible Library starts off with Irene’s usual task of acquiring a book – this time in a not so legal auction. Irene and Kai intend to find the persons who are trying to steal the book from them but before they do, Kai is kidnapped by the Fae. The remainder of the book deals with how Irene navigates the extreme chaos infested city of Venice where the lines between reality and fantasy are blurred and eventually rescues Kai, preventing a war between the dragons and the Fae in the process.

Irene was delightful in the first book but we get to know her more in this adventure. She is so brave, responsible and thinks quickly on her feet to get out of tricky situations. Her thoughtful words when dealing with Kai’s royal uncle or the Fae kidnappers Lord and Lady Guantes are a treat to read. The innovative ways in which she uses the Language to help Kai and escape Venice is also very interesting. Irene is turning into a great literary heroine and hopefully, we will see her in more adventures in the series. There is not much to any of the other characters except some interesting conversations which are few and far between.

Overall, the book is an enjoyable adventure with a female protagonist we can root for and the multiple worlds in the series are quite fascinating. The only disappointment with the book is that we get to know hardly anything more about the Library and there is not much plot revolving around books (which is what I was really hoping for). ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
When Kai is kidnapped, Irene must leave the London in which she is stationed and journey deep into chaos to save him. An unlikely allie, surprise assistance and multiple characters abound.
  amoderndaybelle | May 27, 2021 |
This required a little more concentration than I was prepared to give it—this week has been exhausting—but it was still pretty fun. Bring on the next book. ( )
  AngelClaw | May 10, 2021 |
Managing over the top without getting out of hand: Not a bad trick at all. A lovely bit of reading. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Thank you, again, to everyone who helped with this book. Thank you to my agent, Lucienne Diver, who helped me find monsters in the depths of London, and my editor Bella Pagan, who is marvelous at her job and to whom this book owes a great deal. Thanks to my beta-readers, my friends, my family, my supporters, and the classifications team at work. Your help is very much appreciated. And many thanks to the beautiful city of Venice, which deserves far better writing than I have been able to give it.
The London air was full of smog and filth.
The idea of a hot bath hung in the future like the promise of Christmas or a new book in a favourite series.

Librarian-spy
Irene Winters needs to save
her assistant Kai.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,549,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible