The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

The Dragon Reborn

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (3)

English (76)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (78)
This is one where they walk a lot.

No mention of plot, since this is the third book in a fourteen book series, and I'd hate to spoil anyone.

This is classical fantasy at its best, and possibly also classical fantasy at its most descriptive. I highly enjoy these books, but they take me a long time to read. I'm not the biggest fan of descriptive prose, and don't feel the need to find out about every character's clothing in detail.

It took me a while to get into this one. A surprise, since this is the third one, but I felt like plot-wise not a lot happened for the first 60% but then I couldn't put it down during the last few hundred pages.

Also, thank you, to whoever pointed out braid tugging to me, now I can't help but notice just how often Jordan's women randomly tug on their braids. ( )
  Vinjii | Jun 18, 2018 |
In the third book, we follow our characters in the aftermath of the Battle at Falma. Rand, unhinged by dark dreams, follows the call to Tear, to the Stone and the Sword protected there. Following him, Moraine, Lan, Perrin, and Loial encounter the dangers of the road and the strange twists of the Wheel left by Rand. Along the way, they pick up Faile. Also journeying there, for other reasons, are the three women of the Tower – Nyneave, Egwene, and Elyane. We also travel with Thom and Mat, the latter learning about his strange gift of Luck. Danger lurks in the form of Black Ajah, Darkfriends, Forsaken and the zealous Whitecloaks. Will our intrepid heroes survive?
As with the other book, this is simply the continuation of the story. Jordan’s works don’t have the same feel as many series, where you get a distinct story each book. Instead, his books each feel like just another chapter in the story. Adventure and Danger, Magic and Darkness, Evil Doings and Brave Deeds abound.
High fantasy at its best! ( )
  empress8411 | May 25, 2018 |
Unfortunately for me, Rand's inability to accept his situation has now spread to several of the others in this 3rd entry in the Wheel of Time which I found irritating. From Jordan's interview which is included at the end of this (and the preceding 2 audiobooks), I can understand the concept that the ordinary person would rebel against being thrust into the role of a hero but it seems to me that after a while the 'objective reality' of the situation would penetrate so this rejection of what is happening is increasingly bothersome to me as the series progresses.

The basic plot was sufficiently exciting and the way many different threads came together at the end was good. I was left wondering what happened to Min though... ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 17, 2018 |
Not the best so far. Which is what I've been led to believe. But I'm really excited to move on with the series. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
See my review of Book One ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And his paths shall be many, and who shall know his name, for he shall be born among us many times, in many guises, as he has been and ever will be, time without end. His coming shall be like the sharp edge of the plow, turning our lives in furrows from our of the places where we lie in our silence, The breaker of bonds; the forger of chains. The maker of futures; the unshaper of destiny.

--from Commentaries on the Prophecies of the Dragon,
by Jurith Doine, Right Hand to the Queen of Almoren,
742 AB, the Third Age
And it was written that no hand by his should wield the Sword held in the Stone, but he did draw it out, like fire in his hand, and his glory did burn the world. Thus did it begin. Thus do we sing his Rebirth. Thus do we sing the beginning.

--from Do'in Toldara te, Songs of the Last Age, Quarto Nine: The Legend of the Dragon Composed by Boanne, Songmistress at Taralan, the Fourth Age
Dedicated to
James Oliver Rigney, Sr.
(1920-1988)

He taught me always to follow the dream, and when I caught it, to live it.
Pedron Niall's aged gaze wandered about his private audience chamber, but dark eyes hazed with thought saw nothing.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.

The Dragon Reborn--the leader long prophesied who will save the world, but in the saving destroy it; the savior who will run mad and kill all those dearest to him--is on the run from his destiny. Able to touch the One Power, but unable to control it, and with no one to teach him how--for no man has done it in three thousand years--Rand al'Thor knows only that he must face the Dark One. But how? Winter has stopped the war-almost-yet men are dying, calling out for the Dragon. But where is he? Perrin Aybara is in pursuit with Moiraine Sedai, her Warder Lan, and the Loial the Ogier. Bedeviled by dreams, Perrin is grappling with another deadly problem--how is he to escape the loss of his own humanity. Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve are approaching Tar Valon, where Mat will be healed--if he lives until they arrive. But who will tell the Amyrlin their news--that the Black Ajah, long thought only a hideous rumor, is all too real? They cannot know that in Tar Valon far worse awaits.. Ahead, for all of them, in the Heart of the Stone, lies the next great test of the Dragon reborn....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513711, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Rand Al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn-- able to touch the One Power, but unable to control it. Rand knows only that he must face the Dark One in a battle to the death. Ahead of him lies the next great test for...

The Dragon Reborn

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

Rand Al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn, the leader who will save the world but in the process destroy it. He is able to touch the One Power but cannot control it. He knows only that he must face the Dark One in a battle to the death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,633,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible