Darker Space by Lisa Henry

Darker Space

by Lisa Henry

1121,155,941 (4)11

Brady and Cam are back on Earth at the beginning of this book and they’re trying to adjust to their new life, while constantly dealing with the military interviewing and performing tests on them about the Faceless and their past connection.

Brady still has his anger management problems and he’s still feeling unworthy of Cam. Basically, he’s a little out of his depth with their relationship and the fact that Cam seems to miss the black doesn’t help.
To be honest, being inside Brady’s head doesn’t always make for an easy reading.
He’s pessimistic, self-deprecating and has a tendency to self-sabotage, but these were also the reasons that made me root for him.
I wanted to see him grow as a character, face his doubts, fears and see what would happen when he did and I was satisfied.

I wish he and Cam talked more about Brady’s doubts and their relationship.
Having only Brady’s POV, it’s difficult to know if his interpretation of Cam’s actions and feelings is accurate or heavily biased by his own doubts and feelings of unworthiness.
I would have liked to hear more actually coming from Cam’s mouth to draw my own conclusions, but I got the feeling that part of the experience with this series is that the reader is along for the ride with Brady.
When Brady works through things and finds a way to understand and accept them, the reader does too. It worked pretty well for me so far.

Like in the first book, one of the things I enjoyed the most was their telepathic connection, I really like when they’re in each other’s head.
The part of the story set in space was the best of the book and Kei-Ren grew on me a lot, but I suspect that’s because he grew on Brady. Like I said, we’re along for the ride in Brady’s head.

The end sets things in motion for the third book and it’s really promising, Can’t wait.
  Ele.na | Jun 8, 2018 |
Rating: 4* of five

Pretty much all for the last 40% of the book. It isn't necessary to grind us into Brady Garrett's deeply boring late-adolescent angst for half the book. And now we need to read DARKEST SPACE so Author Henry needs to write it!

My favorite line:
“Crewman Garrett,” Stockade Sam said when the MPs dumped me in his custody again. “Your usual room?” ( )
  richardderus | Dec 29, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,619,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible