A Conjuring of Light: A Novel (Shades of…

A Conjuring of Light: A Novel (Shades of Magic) (edition 2018)

by V. E. Schwab (Author)

Londons fall and kingdoms rise while darkness sweeps the Maresh Empire, and the fraught balance of magic blossoms into dangerous territory while heroes struggle.
Member:Yoh
Title:A Conjuring of Light: A Novel (Shades of Magic)
Authors:V. E. Schwab (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 640 pages
Rating:***1/2

A Conjuring of Light by V. E. Schwab

Recently added byavanders, private library, AJN1013, Lanella, autisticluke, Meganrush, PierreF, Durzo.Lindheimer

English (52)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (53)
TBR. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
*squeals*
  BeccaNaylor | Oct 23, 2019 |
This is a YA series despite the marketing. The idea for the world is clever but the plot is fairly thin, the characters fairly flat, and the dialogue that of teens. Which is fine, I don't mind reading YA novels but I was hoping for more. ( )
  NML_dc | Aug 17, 2019 |
Yes, but also no. A big-ass adventure for a whole heap of characters who I've really enjoyed getting to know... but not quite as tight and demanding as I was hoping.

I feel like the pacing of this whole series wasn't quite what it should have been, that more of what this book needed should have been seeded in the earlier ones rather than cramming all of everything in here. There's a little too much developing in here for a final book, and that takes weight away from the culminating. If this was where we were going all along, I would've liked to see signs of it - to see the paths begun - way back in the first book. Instead, we get a trip to a mysterious market that feels like a time-spinner and coincidentally provides the thing needed for The Plan to work, and a big character-point key - it was just too much to whoops-happen.

Maybe it's that there were so many people to care about. (I mean, I love them all - even Holland; especially Holland - but it throws the book a little out of balance.) Maybe it's that the huge world-devouring conflict in this seems almost entirely divorced from the conflicts of the first two books.

I wanted this to be utterly amazing, but while I did really enjoy it, it didn't hit that mark. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
Review: In this the last we see Lila develop as a magician. There is a championship competition between magicians that Lila brasingly enters, Kell is told to enter secretly and Alucard Emery also enters as a way to prove himself.
The world of Red london is further developed for the reader: an annual tournament between magicians, rules and social moreys between differenet magician groups, delicate balance between good and bad magic is expanded and explored within the different magicians,
when after the competion an attack (the Void) is launched and the master magicians must work together to help save London.

A beautiful and subtle love blooms between Kell and Lila through it all. I loved watching this grow over the course of the series. Having it not be a main part of the story was pleasing, not overpowering.

Schwab is a magnificant writer. Words bend to her power and give the reader such a vivid and rich playground of a world to follow Lila and Kell through. Making it difficult for this to be the series end.

Anosha.....until another day.

Characters:
Lila: as always the one I would follow in the wild world of white, red, grey and black London.

Quotes and snippets:
>Ch9; ch 1, p. 371 Tieren to Emira: Love and loss, are like a ship in the sea. They rise together. The more we love the more we have to lose. But the only way to avoid loss is to avoid love. And what a sad world that would be."
> "You think this is a bad idea."...."Without a doubt."...."Then why are you smiling?"....."Because bad ideas are my favorite kind"
> When Kell tried to transfer worlds when sailing on the ship, Holland tried to warn him. "Obviously I assumed you knew." This scene had me laughing out loud. ( )
  untitled841 | Jul 24, 2019 |

V. E. Schwabprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the ones who've found their way home
Delilah Bard--always a thief, recently a magicianm and one day, hopefully, a pirate--was running as fast as she could.

London under siege
Enemies become allies
Defeat the dark king
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,619,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible