The Allure of Dean Harper by R. S. Grey

The Allure of Dean Harper

by R. S. Grey

From: LilyNBlack@Gmail.comTo: JosephineKeller@VogueMagazine.comSubject: You're a flippin' idiotGood morning my dear, naive friend,I hope you're enjoying a breakfast of regret and sorrow.Why? Because you sent me to work for Dean Harper, aka a control freak in a tailor-made suit. Sure he owns the trendiest restaurants in NYC, but c'mon Jo, his ego makes Kanye West look like the Dalai Lama.He's the type of guy that only hears the word "no" when it's followed by "don't stop."Working for Dean Harper would be like selling my soul to the devil...and before you say anything, I don't care if the devil has punch-you-in-the-gut brown eyes and an ass to match. My soul isn't for sale.Love,Regretfully yours,LilyThe Allure of Dean Harper is a full-length standalone romance with overlapping characters from The Allure of Julian Lefray. Both books can be read separately. Chronologically, The Allure of Julian Lefray happens first. **This book is rated 18+ for explicit sexual situations and language. Reader discretion is advised.**… (more)

Oh, Dean Harper...
Seriously, RS Grey can do no wrong in my eyes. She doesn't have a book that I haven't loved and told everyone to read. Dean Harper was no exception. Lily and Dean are different from Jo and Julian in EVERY way. Both are stubborn, hard headed, and sure they don't need anyone. I loved Lily's determination. While she was struggling, she remained strong, but still acknowledged how tough everything was. She didn't seem invincible and I loved that. I love a tough heroine, but I love one who is vulnerable under it all. Its so much more real to me.
And, like all RS Grey books, there is a lot of humor. And what do I love most about it? Its intelligent humor. These characters are all smart and their humor is as well. RS Grey doesn't rely on easy humor. These characters use their brains and come up with some clever retorts. Its the kind of writing I wish more authors did. Strong but vulnerable heroines who aren't afraid to let that vulnerable side show; Whip smart characters; Humor that doesn't appeal to a 12 year old boy.
So, if you want a top notch rom com, Dean Harper is the book! Its okay if you haven't read Julian LeFrey first, but seriously, if you haven't go read that too!!! ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
Jo's friend Lily has come to New York City to find a job in the food industry. It's perfect that Julian, Jo's boyfriend from the previous book), has a friend Dean who is an up and coming restauranteur - except Lily and Dean are like oil and water. So, of course, they're going to have angry sex, etcetera, etcetera.
I really like the previous book with Jo and Julian. They are a perfect couple, loving, nice, and funny. So are Lily and Dean if you like unprofessional babies who try too hard and aren't funny. Dean is a cardboard alpha male with no depth at all. We're supposed to believe he came off a farm in Iowa to become the youngest success in the New York City restaurant world. Lily is brash but not in a fun way - the whole strip club scene was cringeworthy - and how she got a job as a restaurant consultant made no sense. I could see if Dean decided to keep her as a bartender after some training in his staff protocols, but $90k so she could come up with ideas? It would have been smarter and cheaper to just get her an apartment so he could come over and bang her when he wanted.
The turn-around in their relationship didn't make a lot of sense. This might be the only romance novel I've read where the H/h didn't say the words 'I love you' (or even close).
I'm probably rating this book too high with 3 stars, but I'm still ga-ga over Not So Nice Guy by this same author which was fabulous in all the ways this book is not. My advice is to go read that one instead. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Aug 31, 2018 |
After I finished this book, I sat and wondered what I would say about it. Is it funny? Yep. Is it sweet? Yep. Did it entertain me? Absoltuely. But beyond that I couldn't seem to find words for this story. You ever have that happen? I seem to have it happen more often than you think.

We met Dean and Lily in The Allure of Julian Lefray. I knew then that these two would have a book together. They are oil and water, sugar and salt. So, naturally these two have to be attracted to one another!

This story is written with so much wit that I could barely contain the giggles and chuckles. There truly isn't a dull moment all of the way through. Although, I found myself wanting to perform my own torturous acts on Dean for a while. He is a dick. A stuck-up asshole. His way of fighting his attraction to Lily is so mean, I wanted to punch him. Meanwhile, Lily is the sassy, take no prisoners gal. She doesn't take his shit. She won't stand for his mistreatment and undermindedness.

The push and pull in the story is what keeps it going all of the way to the end. I felt like I was watching a sitcom throughout the entire book. Rachel Grey has a knack for keeping me entertained. It isn't easy to keep an entire story entertaining, but she does it exceptionally well! ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |

UANBookAddict | Dec 3, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,580,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible