The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our…

by Leonard Sax (Author)

Member:nabeelar
Title:The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups
Authors:Leonard Sax (Author)
Info:Basic Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages
Rating:***

The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups by Leonard Sax

The ideas presented in this book gave me a good insight into the culture and experiences of kids today, which will be helpful in my work with kids as well as a parent one day. ( )
  K3ndra28 | Nov 15, 2016 |
The Collapse of Parenting is spot-on with the descriptions and theories as to why children today tend to be disrespectful. The attitude towards parents is "ingratitude seasoned with contempt". We live in a culture where disrespect is the norm and attitude is "Live For Now". Why? The author, Leonard Sax, states that parents have "role confusion" and kids now value peers' opinions more than their parents. Another reason is sleep deprivation and fragility. Parents need to teach Fulghum's Rules, along with self-control, skill of disagreeing respectfully, and willingness to fail. Learn from failure then get up and move on. Parental authority is not discipline. It is teaching the child how to behave both in and outside the family unit...teaching right & wrong. "Just Right" parenting style communicates live but also enforces rules fairly and consistently. Suggestions in first half of book include limiting social media and always eat dinner together (and turn off all devices during dinner).

The last part of the book discusses 3 things to do help our kids:
1. Teach Humility. Be as interested in others as you are in yourself. Leads to gratitude, appreciation, and contentment. Kids need to do CHORES and understand the value of labor. The opposite of humility is inflated self-esteem which leads to resentment.
2. ENJOY your time with your child. Do fun things together and don't multitask.
3. Help child figure out the Meaning Of Life. Who am I? What do I really want? What would make me happy? Empower child to take risks, try new things, and then congratulate them for both successes and failures.
The Purpose of Life:
-Meaningful Work
-A Person to Love
-A Cause to Embrace

My job as a parent is to help my child find his potential. "Happiness comes from fulfillment, from living up to your potential..." This book is written in an easy to read style with lots of real life experiences that make the concepts relatable. ( )
  standhenry | Jul 6, 2016 |

An acclaimed expert on parenting and childhood development argues that kids today are suffering because their parents are no longer in charge—and explains what parents and educators can do to reverse this trend

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 07 Nov 2015 18:27:59 -0500)

"The three things you must do to help your child or teen become a fulfilled adult."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,770,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible