If Someone Says "You Complete Me," RUN!: Whoopi's Big Book of…

by Whoopi Goldberg

Because she came to the conclusion that "the things that are required in a relationship are not things I'm willing to do," Whoopi decided to write openly about why marriage isn't for everyone and how being alone can be satisfying. What's most important is understanding what makes you happy."The award-winning entertainer, social advocate and host of The View shares frank advice on how to achieve happiness in relationships, explaining how to prioritize one's own well-being and recognize if marriage is the right choice,"--Novelist.… (more)

I didn't pay attention to realize it was a relationship book, but I enjoyed the humor and listening to Whoopi's voice, which is so distinctive and wonderful. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
I love Whoopi's humour and her opinions jive with my own. This book was like reading history that no longer applies to me but is amusing nonetheless. I still have my Mr. Bill figurine and I bought Rilke's book on her recommendation. It is a How To book for relationships. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |
If you could sum up If Someone Says "You Complete Me," RUN! in three words, what would they be?
Honest, Funny, Brilliant

What about Whoopi Goldberg’s performance did you like?
Who better to perform your words than you?! She brought the right amount of comedy, sass, and wisdom without being over-the-top or boring.

What insight do you think you’ll apply from If Someone Says "You Complete Me," RUN!?
To make sure that I complete myself and to always remain honest in my relationships.

Any additional comments?
This book sat in my audible wishlist for months. I had a feeling it would be good because, Whoopi, but you just never know. So when this and another wishlist item became available 2-for-1, I jumped on it. I am not disappointed in my choice; this book was phenomenal!

Whoopi is, obviously, funny but she's also insightful and on-point with everything she says in this book. Don't conform to what society or relatives want for you if it is not what you want for yourself. Relationships don't have to be something you want, and if they are, you have to be willing to work for them. This touches on so much about being the person you are and want to be, and not who you or others think you should be. It's about being honest not only with yourself but with the people you choose to spend time with. If you're only after a fling, then that's what you should state from the beginning. You have to protect yourself, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't look to protect the heart of the one you're with.

It's about honesty, and love and compassion not only for the people in your life, but for yourself as well. You have to love yourself and be a whole person before you can even consider sharing a life with someone. And of course, what works for some, won't work for others.

And she doesn't only speak on romantic relationships, she speaks of friendship, and familial relations as well. There are so many more things she speaks on, but I don't want to give it all away. As a person who as been in a relationship with the same man for 23 years, I found that I could appreciate and relate to everything in this book.

This was very refreshing! I recommend anyone who is struggling within themselves or their relationships to read this. Or just read it if you want a very frank and honest point-of-view about life and relationships. ( )
  ViragoReads | Apr 14, 2019 |
If Someone Says “You Complete Me” RUN!

I Picked Up This Book Because: 92% the title, 8% Whoopi

This book gave me some new thoughts and confirmed a lot of conclusions I had already come to in my own life. Interspersed with humor and a bit of sarcasm this doesn’t really read as a self help book. It is not at all “you should be doing this or that” like. It is very much “hey these are my experiences and learnings from life maybe they can help you”

I love how Whoopi explores being honest with yourself and those around you. Determine the important things in your life then go about them in the way that you want to.

The Random Thoughts:

”Take responsibility for yourself, and don’t expect someone else to do it for you.”

”You have to be a complete person before you can commit to anyone else.”

”We all want to be accepted, to be loved, sometimes so badly that we let things slide. But you let things slide for too long and soon enough you are living a lie.”

”The most important thing is that you have to listen to your truths, desires and wants. And you have to believe you deserve all of it.”

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 2, 2018 |
My low rating (2.5 *) may be a bit harsh, but I don't really want to encourage anyone to pay money for it.

I listened to the audible.com version. Whoopi is a great narrator. I truly enjoyed that aspect of the book. I also really enjoyed her tackling some taboo subjects, such as waning libido as we age. Forgiveness. Trust.

That said, I have two serious complaints about the book (disclosure: in 2016 I celebrated 45 years of marriage).

1. Of course relationships don't last if, after 6 years or so, you find you have to WORK at it. But if you do do the work, you come out stronger. Does the initial chemistry wane? Of course it does, but you are left with something much deeper than that initial squiggly feeling in your gut.

2. Whoopi is an extremely intelligent woman. She dropped out of high school but clearly didn't drop out of educating herself! Her English is first rate. So why does she have to use so much profanity? I'd like to send her a thesaurus, but she's never invited me over. ( )
  kaulsu | Sep 17, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,561,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible