The shadow rising by Robert Jordan

The shadow rising (original 1992; edition 2010)

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (4)

The seals of Shayol Ghul are weak now, and the Dark One reaches out. The Shadow is rising to cover humankind. In Tar Valon, Min sees portents of hideous doom. Will the White Tower itself be broken? In the Two Rivers, the Whitecloaks ride in pursuit of a man with golden eyes, and in pursuit of the Dragon Reborn. In Cantorin, among the Sea Folk, High Lady Suroth plots the return of the Seanchan armies to the mainland. In the Stone of Tear, the Lord Dragon considers his next move. It will be something no one expects, not the Black Ajah, not Tairen nobles, not Aes Sedai, not Egwene or Elayne or Nynaeve. Against the Shadow rising stands the Dragon Reborn ...… (more)
Member:bobf32
Title:The shadow rising
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:London : Orbit, 2010.

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan (1992)

Mat snorted. “I don’t want to be any bloody hero.”

Bit late for that. For all of them.

“How do you feel about your prophesied destiny? I must know, if I am to compose this epic."

"Feel?" Rand looked around the camp, at the Jindo moving among the tents. How many of them would be dead before he was done? "Tired. I feel tired.”

In [b:The Shadow Rising|9539|The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1470841890s/9539.jpg|6591373], there is a feeling of settling. That's not to say that things aren't still happening, oh they very much are. Rand is coming into his own and forging a nation in a way no one would expect, Matt is coming into an entirely new destiny.

Perrin... this is among my favorite parts of the series. When Perrin hears about White Cloaks and trollocs attacking the Two Rivers, he breaks away from Rand--which despite all his grumbling Matt was unable to do--and goes to help. While some of his reasons for doing so far a bit mad, he ends up where he needs to be. And Faile. Oh Faile. They're good for one another, even if it takes them forever to realize it.

We're also getting yet more expansion of the world--seeing the Aiel waste as the Aiel see it, along with a direct look deep into the history of the world. We see another of the great cities in Tanchico, along with putting a more human face on the Seanchan. And that storyline in the Tower. Oh how the world is changing. And oh much I know is yet to come.

One interesting thing that I hadn't really put together before reading a few articles before this reread:

Once the main characters split up and leave Tear... we'll not see so many of the main characters together again until the last battle--if then. It's like knowing that one day you will pick up your child for the last time. You don't know it when it happens and there's a whole lifetime yet ahead of you. But it's still the last time. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
I am not going to keep on reading this series. I am so sad about it, there are not so many good epic fantasy books around, and I really did enjoy the first two books. But the characters are just too annoying, and that is what ruins the book for me. When you are reading a fantasy story, you are supposed to be transported into another world. This did not happen with books 3 and 4, because the female characters in the series are so horrible, I don't want to be in their company, I don't want to be inside their heads, and just want to be as far away from them as possible. Also.... the story just keeps on getting more and more boring, and I just lost all the interest in all the characters, even Perrin who was my favourite... ( )
  Clarissa_ | May 11, 2021 |
I have really mixed feelings about this series.

I love parts of it. I love that the symbol for the broken world is the black Dragon's Tooth and white Flame of Tar Valon and that if you put them together they are an yin/yang. I keep wondering if they will get the dots at the end of the series. Because the dots are significant in this world. I love most of the characters, even the evil ones are interesting. Almost everyone seems to be evolving some, including Nynaeve who has taken forever about it.

But, sometimes, I get tired of the overwrought language. And there are too many (imo) authorly reminders of what some things are or how they got where they are. And example is Lan's ring that Nynaeve wears on a thong around her neck. It's a significant thing. It doesn't need a big reveal every time it's mentioned. We know the man's ring she has is his and that it is important. I find that tedious.

Another thing that annoys me is some characters' obsessions. Aviendha, an Aiel Maiden of the Spear, obsessing about Rand's love life drives me nuts. I keep telling the book to shut up. Dain Bornhald's obsession with Perrin drives me bats, too.

I still like the story better than I dislike the petty stuff, so I continue reading. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
It is hard to give a rating for a book in a series of books that you enjoy. This book can't stand on its own, but it is integral to the development of the whole series. When I first read it, it was pretty difficult to get through parts, because of rapid change of perspective, and the many characters that are introduced or referred to.

I listened to the audio book this time, which was on loan from my local library. I did note that there were many patches of silence in the recording - I am unsure if this is a flaw of the particular recording that I listened to, or a general flaw. Nevertheless, the audio recordings are superb and Kate Reading and Michael Kramer bring an intimacy and depth to the story by their voices and characterizations. I can easily recognize several character's voices by the way they speak them.

I think that this is the longest or one of the longest volumes in the series, and there are at least three main story lines that are going on throughout it, with several shifts in character perspective - Rand, Perrin, Elayne, Nynaeve and Egwene get the bulk of the narrative discourse, with some others filling in the gaps.

My wife listened to this with me, and this is her first time with the story. She often found herself confused or not understanding the material, which illustrates the complexity of the story. This can also be difficult to catch-up with in an audio copy, depending on the controls available (for rewinding, reviewing, etc.).

I appreciated this book quite a bit more with the audio version and the revisit to the material. I think I would have given it 3 stars when I first read it. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
I actually think this has been my favourite of this series so far but I have so many issues with it also. Pacing is still terrible although improved a lot in this novel. And please, can somebody shoot Faile? She has to be the most annoying character ever written. Perrin gets some development of character in this but every time he interacts with Faile, I want to throw something. And I think this is my biggest issue with this series - I don't actually like any of the main characters, except possibly Rand. Rand grew on me in this book but whether it will stay that way?
And as others say the oh so traditional gender roles and men can't understand women and vice versa and the romances out of nowhere - yuck. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 27, 2021 |
I agree with you. This post is truly inspiring. I like your post and everything you share with us is

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Contains

The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he who shall be born again. May the Light save us from him.

--from Commentaries on the Karaethon Cycle
Sereine dar Shamelle Motara
Counsel-Sister to Comaelle,
High Queen of Jaramide
(circa 325 AB, the Third Age)
And when the blood was sprinkled on ground where nothing could grow, the Children of the Dragon did spring up, the People of the Dragon, armed to dance with death. And he did call them forth from the wasted lands, and they did shake the world with battle.

--from The Wind of Time by Sulamein so Bhagad
Chief Historian at the Court of the Sun, the Fourth age
Dedicated to
Robert Marks

Writer, teacher, scholar, philosopher, friend and inspiration.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,339,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible