The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, Book…

The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, Book 4) (original 1992; edition 1993)

by Robert Jordan

Member:celticplague
Title:The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, Book 4)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 1008 pages

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan (1992)

The fourth book, The Shadow Rising, is a good one, despite the fact that it brought the braid–tug count up to forty. (I stopped counting after this – I just got tired. Ain't nobody got time for that foolishness. Maybe someday if I read again and keep track of all the prophecies I'll also keep a Tug Count.)

In this one is where some of the intricacies of the plotting are revealed. One aspect of the series which, while kind of fun, is actually sort of a negative is that there are a good half dozen sources of prophecy seeded throughout the monstrously huge cast of characters. Egwene dreams; Elaida has foretellings; Min has her visions; there's Rhuidean; and so on. Oh, and the experiences of Mat and Moiraine Through the Looking Glass – er, Twisted Door. And here some of the prophecies coalesce and come true – and not in obvious manners, necessarily, but in a very cool and innovative way. Pieces come together, and the story takes a huge step forward. It's beautifully executed.

The series as a whole is a big ungainly mess – but I maintain that parts of it are absolutely lovely. ( )
  Stewartry | Jul 26, 2016 |
Each book of this series gets better. There are so many things I loved about this book. It's great to have a book that can shock me. I tend to see things coming from a mile away. I still love Nynaeve! Every book she just gets more bass a** in it! So far reading from Rands point of view isn't very interesting but I'm guessing he'll get better everyone else seems to be getting better. Definitely a favorite series for me! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
First quarter of the book 4 stars. Middle of the book 3 stars. Last quarter of the book 4 1/2 stars. Especially with Perrin's story. Wish I could give 3.5. ( )
  thefamousmoe | May 1, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I remember this book being my favorite in the series after Eye of the World, mainly because of Perrin's adventures. What can I say—I love the small villageness of the Two Rivers, and watching someone return home is something I long to see in all the Emond's Fielders.

This book is so long though that I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to talk about. Did this book really start after the fall of the Stone? Did Elayne and Rand's "courtship" really just start, and was it this book that Lan kissed Nynaeve in front of Egwene and Elayne?

I must say that Robert Jordan has written some awesome endings, but his beginnings are usually pretty slow, and sometimes dull (especially later on). For me, this book didn't start till Perrin entered the Ways to return home and Rand took everyone to the Aiel Waste, a good couple hundred pages into the book.

This book contains probably the most emotional scene in the entire series. Jordan doesn't usually make me tear up, but the part when Perrin learns his family's fate always gets to me, especially when Faile forces him to cry out his anguish. And then later on when we find that one of Perrin's cousins survived. I don't get many hopeful emotions throughout this series, but that part was definitely one of them.

Rand and co.: The Rhudian bit is probably some of Jordan's best writing. It's very poetic and emotional. Tons of information, but I pick up on more of it during each re-read. I enjoyed Mat's experiences with the snake and fox people. I actually like Mat a lot more than I ever have, but I'm glad he's confused as heck about what happened in there—he deserves it.

Tanchico girls: For the most part, I strongly disliked these portions. Elayne and Nynaeve—but especially Elayne—are so ANNOYING. Just get over yourselves already, sheesh. However, I was quite surprised that things worked out as planned for them at the end. It gives them a little bit more credibility.

Gender roles: Freakin' annoying. Why can't characters just do something because it's part of their own unique personality rather than just because they happen to be male or female? I am getting really sick of the stereotypes Robert Jordan portrays every chance he gets.

The White Tower: this part shocks me every time. This book got a lot of emotional reactions out of me. It still bothers me that Gawyn led a significant portion of the fighting in the tower. For some reason I like Gawyn, but he does some extremely stupid things. Unforgiveable things. And, of course, I hate Elaida more than ever. Yes, Suain had it coming, but she and Leanne did not deserve to be stilled without a proper trial. I'm glad Elaida gets hers in the end.

In short (ha ha), this book is rather enjoyable. Probably the last "good" one before Brandon Sanderson takes the reigns. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |

Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Wheel of Time (Boxed Set #2) by Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time - 11 Book Set (Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The by Robert Jordan

Best of Robert Jordan: The Shadow Rising; The Fires of Heaven; Lord of Chaos; A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time Series) by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time, Books 1-11 and prequel "New Spring" by Robert Jordan

5 Titles By Robert Jordan Wheel of Time Series (1-5) : 1. The Eye of the World 2. The Great Hunt 3. The Dragon Reborn 4. by Robert Jordan

New Spring, Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan

Contains

The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he who shall be born again. May the Light save us from him.

--from Commentaries on the Karaethon Cycle
Sereine dar Shamelle Motara
Counsel-Sister to Comaelle,
High Queen of Jaramide
(circa 325 AB, the Third Age)
And when the blood was sprinkled on ground where nothing could grow, the Children of the Dragon did spring up, the People of the Dragon, armed to dance with death. And he did call them forth from the wasted lands, and they did shake the world with battle.

--from The Wind of Time by Sulamein so Bhagad
Chief Historian at the Court of the Sun, the Fourth age
Dedicated to
Robert Marks

Writer, teacher, scholar, philosopher, friend and inspiration.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513738, Mass Market Paperback)

Against the Shadow rising stands the Dragon Reborn.....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

The seals of Shayol Ghul are weak now, and the Dark One reaches out. The Shadow is rising to cover humankind. In Tar Valon, Min sees portents of hideous doom. Will the White Tower itself be broken? In the Two Rivers, the Whitecloaks ride in pursuit of a man with golden eyes, and in pursuit of the Dragon Reborn. In Cantorin, among the Sea Folk, High Lady Suroth plans the return of the Seanchan armies to the mainland. In the Stone of Tear, the Lord Dragon considers his next move. It will be something no one expects, not the Black Ajah, not Tairen nobles, not Aes Sedai, not Egwene or Elayne or Nynaeve. Against the Shadow rising stands the Dragon Reborn. The New York Times bestselling fourth book in the Wheel of Time series, now in mass market.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,359,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible