The Gospel of Food: Everything You Think You…

The Gospel of Food: Everything You Think You Know About Food Is Wrong (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Barry Glassner

204657,485 (3.23)2
Member:rabbot
Title:The Gospel of Food: Everything You Think You Know About Food Is Wrong
Authors:Barry Glassner
Info:Ecco (2007), Hardcover, 304 pages

The Gospel of Food: Everything You Think You Know About Food Is Wrong by Barry Glassner (2007)

this book reminds me of his other book, the culture of fear, as well as freakonomics and other books that question conventional wisdom, and don't really make any strong conclusions. i found the sections on restaurants to be boring, but other than that it was interesting. i liked his points about the demonization of fast food as a class thing and how in reality many other restaurants engage in all the same practices. i also liked what he said about food companies adding all those vitiamins and stuff to cereal and water, when really it hasn't been proven to do much. i'm not sure this book really convinced me of anything, but just pointed out how complicated and intertwined issues of food, nutrition, and class are. some parts challenged me to think more about my "food snob" tendencies. also, it is important not to stress out so much about what you eat and just enjoy the whole process that goes along with eating. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
There were interesting passages in this book, and several valid points. It was, I thought, both too long and too wandering. The author spent an inordinate amount of time citing studies to show that (other) studies can't be trusted. I'm not sure why the studies he cites are presented as irrefutable. I kept thinking about "lies, damned lies, and statistics" throughout the whole book.

The book itself is discursive and meandering, though obviously well-meaning and written by a food lover.

While I don't buy the current foodie gospel entirely, neither do I buy all of Glassner's points. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
A disjointed account of various aspects of the American diet. Certain parts of the book are interesting and fresh--I enjoyed the accounts about eating at fabulous restaurants and the parts encouraging us to enjoy food. Other parts seemed well-worn and out of place (like some of the diet and nutrition advice). All in all, there wasn't a cohesive message in this book. ( )
1 vote gwendolyndawson | Mar 24, 2008 |
GREAT BOOK!!!!! I wish I could have finished reading it (due too soon and holds at the library), but it was fun to read and confirmed what we already knew - just about EVERYTHING is good for you in moderation; forget special diets ( )
  ojchase | Jun 29, 2007 |
An interesting discussion of the US' obsession with food; at the high end with ultra-expensive restaurants, at the low-end with claims of how fast food is responsible for every ill in modern America, and in between with the various bizarre claims of "scientists have proved" everything and anything about how what you eat affects your body and mind.

A book like this could easily have become boring, but I found that I was entranced by most of it, excluding perhaps only the chapter on restaurants of the rich and famous which was just too removed from my life.
In particular, the first few chapters, on food myths and on food science (how industrialists create new food products) are quite fascinating. ( )
  name99 | Apr 12, 2007 |

Enjoy what you eat.

From the author of the national bestseller The Culture of Fear comes a rallying cry to abandon food fads and myths for calmer and more pleasurable eating.

For many Americans, eating is a religion. We worship at the temples of celebrity chefs. We raise our children to believe that certain foods are good and others are bad. We believe that if we eat the right foods, we will live longer, and if we eat in the right places, we will raise our social status. Yet what we believe to be true about food is, in fact, quite contradictory. Offering part exposé, part social com-mentary, sociologist Barry Glassner talks to chefs, food chemists, nutritionists, and restaurant critics about the way we eat. Helping us recognize the myths, half-truths, and guilt trips they promulgate, The Gospel of Food liberates us for greater joy at the table.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:28 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,540,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible