Monstress #1 by Marjorie Liu

Monstress #1 (edition 2015)

by Marjorie Liu (Author), Sana Takeda (Illustrator)

Series: Monstress (1)

Daaaang. This was lovely and violent and gory and odd. The world-building is a little confusing, but there's enough to keep me curious to see where it goes.

********
Panels Read Harder: PoC creators ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

What drew me in immediately, even though I've had some mixed experiences with the comics from Netgalley lately, was the gorgeous artwork! I mean, just look at the cover, and it's only getting better on the inside.

This first issue was a pleasure to read! A lot of the things that I like were in there (and it was just 70 pages!). Some kind of a war ridden dystopian (?) world led by females, in which Maiko, the one-armed main character and an Arcanic, is battling her way through a group of witches (?). While Maiko looks human other Arcanics are super cute, especially the little fox-child (don't get attached to the cyclops though).

There is a lot of violence in this issue, which I think makes this not for everyone, but as I'm currently on the look out for something that can fill my Game of Thrones-shaped hole, this is exactly what I needed (though it is something completely different).

On to the next issues!

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Beautiful artwork and beautiful characters doing and enduring horrible things. I'm fascinated with the world and the characters. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Monstress is beautifully drawn with tremendous detail. The world building is just beginning, yet is quite intriguing. Our main character is Maika who's on a quest both internally and externally. She's fighting the monster inside her, and has gone after witches who are caught in a bloody war. At least that's what I think so far. I'm sure there are many twists and turns to come. The characters are diverse. Some human, some half human, and some monsters. The setting is Asian in feel but an altiverse to our own. Looking forward to more!

Thanks to NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |

Liu, Marjorie M.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Takeda, SanaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wooton, RusLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,467,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible