The Lady and the Mountain Man (Mountain Dreams Series) (Volume 1)

by Misty M. Beller

Series: Mountain Dreams (1)

Leah Townsend, a recently orphaned heiress, flees Richmond after discovering her fiancé's plot to kill her after their wedding. She needs a safe place to hide, and finds herself accepting a newspaper marriage proposal from a God-fearing young rancher in the Montana Territory. But when Leah arrives at the mountain ranch, she learns her intended husband was killed by a grizzly, leaving behind a bitter older brother and a spunky younger sister.When Gideon Bryant finds a city girl standing in his log cabin, his first thought is to send her back where she came from. He's lost too many people to the wild elements of these mountains--his parents, his wife, and now his brother. His love for this untamed land lives on, but he's determined not to open his heart to another person.But when an accident forces Leah to stay at the ranch for seven more months, can Gideon protect his heart from a love he doesn't want? Has Leah really escaped the men who seek her life?… (more)

As someone who grew up reading pioneer stories, I have a familiarity with the Oregon Trail and prairie life, but it wasn’t until I started reading Misty Beller’s work that I came to appreciate life in the Montana territory. I had never realized the harshness of the conditions there due to the isolation and especially the weather, with winter setting in during September and having snow around until June. Such an environment would be difficult today, and it’s hard to fathom how challenging it would be to simply survive there back in 1874. It certainly makes excellent fodder for novels!

“The Lady and the Mountain Man” seems different to me than the other novels I’ve read by Beller, although I have loved all of them. This one seems more character-driven, perhaps because much of the action occurs in one location, after Leah Townsend makes her way to Montana and the Bryant ranch. Her journey and the shocking revelation that triggers it pull the reader in immediately, though! I found this story to be relaxing enough to be refreshing but still with enough action to keep things interesting Likewise, I think that there are enough tragedies and obstacles to keep readers engaged and sympathetic while also containing snippets of humor.

Choosing faith over fear and trusting that God is in control of every circumstance encompass the main message of the book. In a time when people could easily die from such a multiplicity of threats, faith and family were true lifelines. Hence why Leah’s story is so intriguing, because while she trades her upper-class life for that of a backwoods settler, she maintains a quiet reserve of strength. When we surrender ourselves and our plans to God, He will use them to bring us to the safety of His sweet shelter: right where we belonged all along.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  Stardust_Fiddle | Jul 1, 2020 |
What I think you should know:
The Lady and the Mountain Man is the first in the Mountain Dreams Series by Misty M Beller. It is a historical fiction set in 1874 Montana.

What I think about this book:
I am such a huge fan of Beller's current works, so it was a treat to go back and read some of her earlier works. This was a great book, Beller did a wonderful job of painting the setting of the story. I enjoyed Leah’s journey from sheltered city girl to a woman who was confident of herself in the rugged terrain of Montana. Beller gave us glimpses of Gideon ‘s perspective and while I enjoyed them, they left me wanting more insight into his character. I enjoyed the interaction between Leah and Gideon. The story also had great background characters, I loved Ol Mose. I look forward to reading Miriam’s story. If you have never read Beller this is a great place to start and if you have read her current work it is always neat to go back and see how she grew as an author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Celebrate Lit, this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  DonnaC83 | Jun 30, 2020 |
This has been a wonderful look at the life in the days when mail order brides were a common thing. I would expect our leading lady not to entertain the thought of becoming a mail order bride. Well things do change and our lovely Leah has found herself in a bit of a pickle. She is not happy with the choice her father made as to who her husband was to be. Since he has passed, Leah's life is in danger. Greed shows its ugly head in the image of Simone Talbert. I didn't like him at all. He was money hungry and Leah was his ticket to wealth.

Leah leaves as soon as she can when by chance she overhears a conversation that threatens her life. I loved her spunk and adventure as she travels as far as she can away from the mean spirited Simon. I loved how she became this woman who would do whatever it took to survive on her own. Meeting Gideon may change her life but he isn't real excited to see her. Remember the mention of mail order bride earlier, well Leah was all set to do that but the groom past away. Gideon is not very talkative and is ready to find passage for Leah back to wherever she calls home. I wonder if Gideon will start to become attractive to Leah?

God is in the midst of this story as Leah finds herself wanting to find a place to belong. She knows God has a plan for her and she has to trust His direction. The story is clean and easy to read and filled with adventure. It spotlights a woman who reads her Bible faithfully to make sure she is not being lead astray. I loved how two strangers find a way to co exist and learn to trust each other. The author is consistent in her writing and always brings readers stories of encouragement and strong faith filled characters.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Jun 30, 2020 |
Does she have what it takes?

Commit your way to the Lord....Psalm 37:5a

March 1874 in Richmond, Virginia finds Leah Townsend in a dilemma. Her father has recently died, leaving her an orphan. Unfortunately his business concerns leave her a very wealthy young lady, unfortunate because her current fiancé is much less ideal than he likes to portray. Fearing for her safety, after much prayer and Bible study, she leaves for places unknown, leaving her future in the hands of the Lord.

This feisty young lady was a real treat to read about. I’m sure there were many like her as the west was slowly being settled. Her courage and fortitude showed very quickly that not only was she a city lady she could also be a country girl. The wonderful characters are well developed and I look forward to learning to know them better. Many new experiences brought Leah to the conclusion that danger was found in many places just as people with integrity were a bit like angels in disguise, put there to help her on her way. With such breathtaking detail, I could almost see the scenery, hear the cattle and feel the cold. With accidents and deaths, emotions run high and life changing decisions must be made. Is she open to the future God has planned for her?

This digital copy was received from CelebrateLit. These impressions and comments are my own and are in no way solicited. ( )
  Eamace | Jun 24, 2020 |
I think it was a worthwhile read and yes, I'm keeping it on the shelf for future re-reads!
  caslater83 | Nov 12, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Misty M. Beller is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,271,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible