dismiss

Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

Winter's Heart

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (9)

In the continuing Wheel of Time saga, Rand and Min are on the run, while Black Tower leader Mazrim Taim is exposed, a Seanchan princess arrives in Ebou Dar and the schemers of the White Tower are beset by rebels.
Recently added byaarongable, allison_s, MahiShafiullah, Rosalind, sahra, obscuresoul13, private library, scottyn73

English (52)  Italian (1)  All languages (53)
Working through the final re-read. (Well, re-listen.) ( )
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
You know how you can be sad to see the end of certain books or movies...? You're enjoying the story so much, and you just want to stay in that world a bit longer, to stay with those characters...

The Wheel of Time is not like that. There's always more. Perhaps the longest novel ever (I'm on the 10th of 14 doorstop books, and there's a prequel that I probably won't read).

But I really do want to see how it turns out. I have considered just reading plot summaries on Wikipedia, but have decided against that. It's not just the sunk costs of the hours spent listening to the novels (occasionally using Audible's triple speed setting).

I really enjoy it at times -- the ending of this volume 9 is a blast. And, sad to say, I'm heartened that the last few books were written by Brandon Sanderson, who was selected to finish the series by Robert Jordan's widow after the author passed away between books 11 and 12. Sanderson had Jordan's notes, he himself is a wizard at cranking out fantasy and SF books, and hopefully he avoided at least a few of Jordan's irritating authorial tics. (Readers of the series will know what I'm talking about.) ( )
  Robert_Musil | Dec 15, 2019 |
Winter's Heart is a little better than The Path of Daggers since characters do more than shuffle their feet and smooth their skirts. Like most of the Wheel of Time up to this point, the best part of the book is the last third or so. Like the Path of Daggers, this entry is on the shorter side (for The Wheel of Time) so the middle doesn't feel as drawn out.

Rand gets around to the game changer he's been talking about for awhile now, and it will be interesting to see how this affects the world. Particularly the Red Ajah, since there's no need to sever male channellers. Meanwhile, rebels are growing bold after the attack in Caerhien by rogue Asha'man. His best chapters are toward the end, though he is being more proactive in his earlier chapters than usual.

Nynaeve is continuing to grow on me now that she isn't as hostile towards everyone else. She's still stubborn, but is beginning to accept that maybe she doesn't know everything. Her better traits, notably her compassion and desire to heal are more pronounced now. She, along with Lan, are mostly helping Rand for this entry.

Egwene is left out. She was last seen marching her army toward Tar Valon, hopefully this gets resolved in book 10.

Perrin got shafted here, and doesn't do anything other than panic at Faile's capture. I can see what Jordan is going for, making him decide which is more important: helping Rand deal with the prophet or Faile. But having him do nothing for entire chapters makes this frustrating for the wrong reasons.

Mat returns, and his chapters are my favorites. He's always up to something, broken leg or no. His "rogue with the heart of gold" personality is at its best, even the Seanchan invaders can't keep him down. A prophecy mentioned several books ago will likely be fulfilled soon, now that he met the Daughter of the Nine Moons.

Where Nynaeve is becoming more likable, Elayne replaces her as the bully. She pushes everyone else into poorly thought out plans, but it is her followers who suffer for it. Birgitte chastises her for being reckless, but Elayne is convinced that her titles outweigh logic. Of the three that Rand is in love with, she makes the least sense to me. Most of the romances in The Wheel of Time feel a bit forced, but Elayne and Rand just seems such a mismatch.

Overall, the plot moves more than book 8. Mat and Rand keep things moving, but Perrin bogs things down and Elayne is good reminder as to why we did away with monarchies. ( )
  High_Enginseer | Nov 28, 2019 |
YEESSS!

*doubles over panting* ( )
  Zoes_Human | Mar 4, 2019 |
As part of the series as a whole, the book is a definite upswing. 'The Path of Daggers' had left most of the main cast at a standstill and triggered my least favorite plot-line of all time - or Plotline of Doom as fandom has it - wherein Faile, Morgase, Two Aiel and some others are taken captive by the Shaido, necessitating a distraught Perrin to hunt them down. This slows down the 'meh' plot-line of getting Masema to Rand.

But the good! 'Winter's Heart' brings Mat back into the narrative, at some distance behind the rest of the characters so there's a good deal of time spent with him in an Ebou Dar occupied by the Seanchan. Thom and Juilin appear.

Perrin, as can be guessed, is trudging forward on a never-ending quest to save his wife and dealing with some sigh-worthy conduct of Berlaine and other characters in the camp who believe Berlaine.

Elayne is doing Succession things with Aviendha and Birgitte, which is on the dull side, and again, takes forever, but it is refreshing as it is tedious that complicated problems in 'The Wheel of Time' require complicated solutions. Nynaeve has less marital bliss reported and more frustrations with the Seafolk and the Kin, who are all still cooped up in the Royal Palace in Caemlyn.

Egwene continues to ratchet up her influence as Amyrlin. Siuan and Bryne hang out in the background.

Rand, I would say of course but his story-line has been sputtering since 'Lord of Chaos', elevates 'Winter's Heart' more than any other plot. It is one of the most epic parts of the series and I remember it blowing me away when I first read it. Now, it is still pretty awesome.

'Winter's Heart' had a lot more forward momentum to it - unfortunately, its about to come to a screeching halt.

The Wheel of Time:

Next: 'The Crossroads of Twilight'

Previous: 'The Path of Daggers' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 21, 2019 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The seals that hold back night shall weaken, and in the heart of winter shall winter's heart be born amid the wailing of lamentations and the gnashing of teeth, for winter's heart shall ride a black horse, and the name of it is Death. --from The Karaethon Cycle: The Prophecies of the Dragon
Always for Harriet. Always.
Three lanterns cast a flickering light, more than enough to illuminate the small room with its stark white walls and ceiling, but Seaine kept her eyes fixed on the heavy wooden door.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,241,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible