Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

Winter's Heart

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (9)

Recently added byLitaVore, BenHobbes, thorkell, private library, Eric.Amrhein

English (45)  Italian (1)  All (46)
Fantasy, Fantasy Adventure ( )
  Ria_Vao | Feb 7, 2017 |
I slow read and it took my longer than any of previous in this series. Very detailed characters and maybe a few that really are not necessary for the story but I find I satisfaction of carrying on and completing this particular novel.

Mr. Jordan god rest his soul does not follow traditional story telling format he skips around like the pulp fiction movie. Sometimes you are constantly asking yourself didn't that already happen. I think these stories could be broken down into character books but some of the details would be lost.
Some very intersting points are that Perrin's wife Faile and the ex-queen in hiding gets kidnapped.

Matt is back and getting in trouble as usually will his memories of his past lives continue to save him or get in his way.

Rand has little going on in this book until the end with a bang of excitement. He needs to become more human instead of turning is heart into steel.

At Last the madness is at an end for the men. Let's see if it calms the men down or makes them even more ambitous.
  Erin.Kuszmaul | Feb 3, 2017 |
Read June 2001
Re-read November 2011.

2011 Review:
What a difference 10 years makes. First off, I've got the final book in my hands in the next couple of months. Second, I'm reading a WoT book a month instead of a year[or 2 or 3] and I think that is just about the right amount of time.

Most of this was completely new to me because I think I stopped the first time when I realized the series wasn't at its end. I enjoyed this. Same compliments, same complaints as the previous books.
And the cleansing of Saidin was pretty cool. It did make me wonder just how strong/weak the Forsaken actually are. And if they couldn't deal with Rand and Co, why did the original Aes Sedai have such trouble?

2001 Review:
typical, malefemale arguments get old real fast tho ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Its so hard to write a review on these books, there is just so much that happens in them! So, I'm just gonna say that I loved it and its my favorite book so far. I'm finally starting to like Mat a bit more, but I don't think I will ever be an Egwene fan. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
The slowest book yet. There are just too many unimportant characters and unnecessary description thrown in and it becomes increasingly difficult to keep track of everything (or making yourself care about yet another group of aes sedai sitting around discussing something while arranging their dresses and shawls).

The last 50 or so pages are pretty good (something important actually happens) but it's not enough to convince me to give this book three stars. ( )
  thedreadcat | Apr 9, 2016 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The seals that hold back night shall weaken, and in the heart of winter shall winter's heart be born amid the wailing of lamentations and the gnashing of teeth, for winter's heart shall ride a black horse, and the name of it is Death. --from The Karaethon Cycle: The Prophecies of the Dragon
Always for Harriet. Always.
Three lanterns cast a flickering light, more than enough to illuminate the small room with its stark white walls and ceiling, but Seaine kept her eyes fixed on the heavy wooden door.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 081257558X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is Robert Jordan still doing the Light's work? Even loyal fans have to wonder. (And if you're not a fan yet, you'll have to read the previous 6,789 pages in this bestselling series to understand what all the fuss is about.)

Everyone's in agreement on the Wheel of Time's first four or five volumes: They're topnotch, where-have-you-been-all-my-life epic fantasy, the best in anybody's memory at the time since The Lord of the Rings. But a funny thing happened on the way to Tarmon Gai'don, and many of those raves have become rants or (worse) yawns. Jordan long ago proved himself a master at world-building, with fascinating characters, a positively delicious backstory, and enough plot and politics to choke a Trolloc, but that same strength has become a liability. How do you criticize what he's doing now? You want more momentum and direction in the central plot line, but it's the secondary stories that have made the world so rich. And as in the last couple of books, (A Crown of Swords and The Path of Daggers), Jordan doesn't really succeed at pursuing either adequately, leaving a lot of heavily invested readers frustrated.

Winter's Heart at least shows some improvement, but it's still not The Eye of the World. Elayne's still waiting to take the crown of Andor; the noticeably absent Egwene is still waiting to go after the White Tower; Perrin gets ready to pursue the Shaido but then disappears for the rest of the book. About the only excitement comes with the long-awaited return of Mat Cauthon and a thankfully rock 'em, sock 'em finale in which Rand finally, finally changes the balance of power in his fight against the Dark One. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:42 -0400)

In the continuing Wheel of Time saga, Rand and Min are on the run, while Black Tower leader Mazrim Taim is exposed, a Seanchan princess arrives in Ebou Dar and the schemers of the White Tower are beset by rebels.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,885,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible