Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person

by Shonda Rhimes

The mega-talented creator of Greys Anatomy and Scandal and executive producer of How to Get Away With Murder chronicles how saying YES for one year changed her lifeand how it can change yours, too. With three hit shows on television and three children at home, the uber-talented Shonda Rhimes had lots of good reasons to say NO when an unexpected invitation arrived. Hollywood party? No. Speaking engagement? No. Media appearances? No. And there was the side-benefit of saying No for an introvert like Shonda: nothing new to fear. Then Shondas sister laid down a challenge: just for one year, try to say YES to the unexpected invitations that come your way. Shonda reluctantly agreedand the result was nothing short of transformative. In Year of Yes, Shonda Rhimes chronicles the powerful impact saying yes had on every aspect of her lifeand how we can all change our lives with one little word. Yes.… (more)
    Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson (Kiddboyblue)
    Kiddboyblue: These are both inspiring reads that deal with overcoming obstacles like depression and anxiety.

Another of the many books I picked up at the beginning of the year when Audible ran the sale for books New Years Reads and another of the ones from that sale to absolutely, fantastically knock my socks off.

Not that I should have been all that surprised given that I have a deep love for all of the Shonda writing that can reach my world (when I'm in a tv watching movie, that is, since this last year has been super lax in that.) I million outtaken seconds related to her show and an amazing story of her life and the effect of the word Yes on her life. There was laughing, wincing, nearly tearing up, and I walked away from it smiling.

I will totally read any and all other things she writes, too. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
Definitely a 3.5.

This book was fun. I can’t say I’ve heard Shonda speak a lot before but I’ve loved her shows. So, I definitely wanted an insight into the woman. And what a way to get to know her. She bares out all her insecurities, albeit hilariously and tells us what she did to overcome them. The whole book feels like a conversation with the reader, where she gives advice, motivates us and asks us to not be afraid.

There were few parts of the book I really loved. Her whole discussion around accepting that marriage isn’t for everybody, motherhood takes a whole lot of effort and women shouldn’t be shamed for asking for help, and the idea that women always feel unnecessarily guilty while accepting compliments - all of these things resonated with me a lot and I really appreciated her talking about them so honestly. And she talks a lot about Christina Yang - how she let the character do and say a lot of things that she wanted to but couldn’t in real life. The idea that she drew courage from a fictional character might have seemed fascinating but weird to me a few years ago, but now I completely understand her. Everyone deserves that person in their life, whether real or fictional.

If you like reading unconventional memoirs about successful women, you should checkout this book. If you have ever loved a show or character deeply in Shondaland, then I highly recommend this book to you. It is blunt, honest, self-deprecating and very hilarious. And I really liked that her most significant speeches were included. Very nice and enjoyable read. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
It is after 2am as I write this directly after finishing the Year of Yes. My face is wet with tears and I am happy. So so happy. Thank you to Shonda Rhimes for sharing her journey. I'm on my own, though it doesn't have a name but it is not traditional and it is quite wonderful. Around March I added in dancing it out to my journey...I am not going to say more because there are a lot of great reviewers out there and I dont have any desire to be one of them. I just want to remember how wonderful this book made me feel for a long, long time. Thank you. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
Holy cow, that was good in so many ways. I had initially just picked it up because I heard the audio (read by Rhimes) was great--I'm finding lately that I'm becoming increasingly inclined to check out an audiobook for its reader alone and not necessarily the story...weird. Anyway, it quickly turned into this mega personal moment, being so perfectly timed on the verge of graduating with this second >> Master's degree and maybe finally having all the free time that I never had during my 20s along with desperately not wanting to let myself fall into the hermetic life I got used to by necessity for earning a SECOND GD MASTER'S DEGREE while working full-time. Whew. Yeah so.

It really got under my skin. I could totally relate in just about everything she said, and BOY HOWDY! was I so, so, so, so relieved to finally hear a woman talk comfortably and assertively about the choice not to live with/marry her partner. I have never heard that from a woman, and I really, really needed to. I made a list a couple days ago of all the wonderful things I look forward to saying yes to once this last class is over (end of July!), things that will make my life a whole lot more fun and, more importantly, make me a better human being (hopefully). Long and short, it was a great pick-me-up without actually feeling like a self-help book...which it isn't. It's about HER, not you. (Oh yeah! I only ever watched maybe the first season of Grey's Anatomy waaaay back when it first aired...maybe if I ever feel like watching TV again, I'll start with Shondaland.) ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Read this for my book club, and while the writing is not my style, the stories challenged me to think about saying yes to more good things in my life. I suspect this would be better as an audiobook. 3.5 stars. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,323,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible