Widowmaker: A Novel (Mike Bowditch…

Widowmaker: A Novel (Mike Bowditch Mysteries, 7) (edition 2017)

by Paul Doiron (Author)

Series: Mike Bowditch (7)

"When a mysterious woman in distress appears outside his home, Mike Bowditch has no clue she is about to blow his world apart. Amber Langstrom is beautiful, damaged, and hiding a secret with a link to his past... She claims her son Adam is a wrongfully convicted sex offender who has vanished from a brutal work camp in the high timber around the Widowmaker Ski Resort. She also claims that Adam Langstrom is the illegitimate son of Jack Bowditch, Mike's dead and diabolical father. He is the half-brother Mike never knew he had. After trying so hard to put his troubled past behind him, Mike is reluctant to revisit the wild country of his childhood and again confront his father's history of violence. But Amber's desperation and his own need to know the truth make it hard for him to refuse her pleas for help. In search of answers, Bowditch travels through a mountainous wilderness to a place hidden from the rest of the world, where the military guards a top-secret interrogation base, sexual predators live together in a backwoods colony, and self-styled vigilantes are willing to murder anyone they consider their enemies. Mike Bowditch must exorcise the demons of the past before the real-life demons of the present kill him first"--"After a mysterious woman gives Mike Bowditch disturbing news, the game warden goes looking for a family secret in a Maine ski town and discovers a vigilante who seems to be targeting sex offenders"--… (more)
Member:Stratfordpublic
Title:Widowmaker: A Novel (Mike Bowditch Mysteries, 7)
Authors:Paul Doiron (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Work Information

Widowmaker by Paul Doiron

This is the first book that I read in this series, and I immediately put the rest of the author's book on my TBR list. He met my criteria for mystery writers of having a predictable worldview, and being charming enough that I felt like reading the next book in the series was like picking up a conversation with an old friend. ( )
  kerryp | Jul 4, 2020 |
Fantastic! Edge of the seat! And we learn some background of Mike's. His books get better and better. AND I listened to this book and got a wonderful surprise. Paul interviews Nevada Barr! I did a happy dance. Nevada Barr is exactly why I found Paul Doiron's books in the first place. Right now I am feeling completely satisfied by a great book and an awesome surprise. Life is so good! :) ( )
  whybehave2002 | Aug 31, 2019 |
Bowditch is moving around the state. Here he is in the Rangeley area. He takes liberty with geography and ski resort names but he has a great sense of place and evokes memories for me of my work up north. Host of possible bad guys and you weren't sure until the end. And a very good ending. ( )
  JBreedlove | Nov 9, 2017 |
Afraid the I just don't like (or care about) Mike Bowditch. For a few novels, he was impossible, but tolerable hoping that he would mature and act reasonably/responsibly. However, he has not. Biggest pain in the ass I could imagine. I see no hint of the positive value that seems to keep him employed by the Warden's Service.
Love the concept and the locale, but am finished with the character. ( )
  fwbl | Aug 26, 2017 |
Paul Doiron is one of my very favorite mystery writers, and his latest Mike Bowditch tale is a stellar seventh addition to a great series. (I'm glad to report that Mike—though he's supposedly growing and maturing as time passes—retains enough of his natural irascibility to keep things interesting). Widowmaker kicks off with a strange woman barging into Mike's life to tell him he has a half-brother he didn't know about; a half-brother who's missing and possibly in big trouble. From there we're off to the races, and as always the action is well done and the story told with great authority. There are quirky citizens and worthy villains and Doiron renders the Maine landscape and people unerringly…something that's a big part of my enjoyment of the series. (And not just people; his portrait of a mysterious wolf-dog hybrid is superb, and I want to plead right here that he comes back in a subsequent book). Anyway, if you're already a fan, you'll be happy to have this new chapter in your hands. And if you're not, what are you waiting for? ( )
  jimnicol | Feb 21, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

For my sisters
On my first day as a cadet at the Maine Criminal Justice Academy, the instructors showed my class the most disturbing video I had ever seen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,613,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible