All the Ugly and Wonderful Things: A Novel…

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Bryn Greenwood (Author)

1912761,769 (4.17)1
Member:Scarlet-Aingeal
Title:All the Ugly and Wonderful Things: A Novel
Authors:Bryn Greenwood (Author)
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2016), 353 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites, Read, Read in 2016, Best of 2016, Fiction, NetGalley
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things: A Novel by Bryn Greenwood

A beautiful and thoughtful love story between two very unlikely characters and the unusual connection to each other that elevates them above the midwestern met lab life. ( )
  creighley | Mar 1, 2017 |
Lolita meets The Glass Castle meets Winter's Bone. I devoured this book! Yes the subject matter was difficult, but I have read things much more horrific. I loved Kellen and Wavy's relationship. Honestly I felt as if she was more of an adult at eight than most adults graduating college. And Kellen seemed more of a child emotionally than many kids I know today. It seemed to me the "adults" in the story caused more trouble and did more harm than anything Kellen and Wavy did. In a world where girls are sold and/or married off as young as six, was this really that bad? Again it goes to prove, the life we live in the gray is the real world...the world of black and white just ends up harming the ones who have already been harmed the most. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Great book for pedophiles.
I am sure that every pedophile reading it will be aroused. But it’s not only a sick book. It is boring as well. I read 25% of it and gave up. Nothing is happening. It is a story about an abused girl age 8, that “falls in love” with an ugly stupid mechanic riding a motorbike. The girl’s mother is a drunk, and the father a pimp. That’s it.
Just a day to day routine being described through the eyes of all the figures taking place in the abused girl's life

for the life of me, I can't understand the high marks the book was getting. Probably was read by lots of perverts ( )
  peled | Feb 19, 2017 |
The most amazing and wonderful book EVER!
This book was so great I just don't know where to begin. Just read it! It's touching and beautiful and heartbreaking and horrible and sweet and wonderful and above all else it's absolutely real! Real life at it's rawest, real emotion and heartbreak and perseverance, real characters full of flaws that made them beautiful and so endearing because of, not in spite of their imperfections. Life is so imperfect and unconventional and this book is a perfect reflection of all the details that make life and love both ugly and wonderful. Praise be to the title (how appropriate) and praise be to the author with the most heartfelt congrats to the reader because this book was really that good and I feel lucky to have experienced it and better because of it. This is a book that I will remember. This is a book that affected me.
This book is a perfect example of why I read!!!
I cannot articulate a synopsis or review that will give this novel the justice it deserves, so I'm not going to try, but if you only read one book this month, this year, this lifetime, read "all the ugly and wonderful things." I finished this book in less than 24 hours but it will remain with me indefinitely. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
Can I just say that this book is CONTROVERSIAL, can be full of triggers and will wreck you.

But let me just rest this tidbit from another reviewer here :

"It's so... not manipulative. The author narrates a series of events, using gorgeous writing, but it's a fantastic example of how showing works so much better than telling. We are never told how to feel. We are allowed to be disgusted, sad and angry on our own terms, and we are allowed to draw our own conclusions about the relationship this book portrays".

This book really moved me emotionally and was wonderfully layered and written. I found myself questioning so many things I thought I knew, thought was previously black and white, right and absolutely wrong. I was so intimately engrossed in Wavy's life and amazed by her strength as she endured incredibly painful things. I will admit that this book did trigger some deeply emotional things for me but that is a testament to how truthful and well written this book truly was. I definitely felt character consistency was amazing throughout this entire book and in general just felt like the writer didn't do what a lot of writers do- and try to make this "acceptable or this fairy tale ending".
It was simple and fully complex, it was honest, raw immersive and I just knew that the issues would not just disappear now that the book has ended but the characters will progress and grow, evolve and change, I enjoyed this exceptionally well written book soooo much! This book has grown to be one of my favorites.

This in NO way says I condone the relationship portrayed in this book it says I appreciate how well written and moving the portrayal was. This world is filled with both UGLY and wonderful things- you can choose what falls into each category on your own. This books falls under "wonderful" for me. ( )
  Carrian | Jan 14, 2017 |

5 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,320,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible