Booked by Kwame Alexander

Booked (edition 2016)

by Kwame Alexander (Author)

Series: The Crossover (2)

Twelve-year-old Nick loves soccer and hates books, but soon learns the power of words as he wrestles with problems at home, stands up to a bully, and tries to impress the girl of his dreams.
Member:Ianh.B1
Title:Booked
Authors:Kwame Alexander (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2016), 320 pages

Work Information

Booked by Kwame Alexander

Nicholas and his best friend Coby love to play soccer; they're on the same school team, but rival travel clubs. Soccer is the best part of Nick's life, since his parents keep arguing, and his dad, a linguistics professor, has been forcing him for years to read through a dictionary. (At least the cool librarian at Nick's school keeps putting good books in his hands.) When Nick's mom, a racehorse trainer, leaves to take a job in Kentucky, life gets worse - and even worse when he lands in the hospital with a ruptured appendix which will take three weeks to heal, when the big game in Dallas is in only one week.

In this novel in verse, Nick deals with bullies, a first crush on a girl, and his relationship with his parents. His mom, in particular, is an interesting character: she's loving and competitive (soccer, ping pong) and their banter is fun to read.

See also: The Crossover by Kwame Alexander, the Track series by Jason Reynolds

Quotes

Do me a favor and stop complaining about trying to be excellent. (Nick's dad)

"Thought"
is negative.

From "Only"
ONLY. Three. Weeks
but Dallas is in one.

Books are fun, Nicholas, he says,
they're like
amusement parks
for readers.

Yeah, well, maybe
they would be fun
if I got to pick
the rides
sometimes, you answer... ( )
  JennyArch | Aug 4, 2021 |
A novel written in verse, flowing freely and smoothly, reading perfectly naturally. Talented poet and author Kwame Alexander tells the story of Nick Hall, a clever, articulate, football (as we call it in the UK) loving youngster. Everything is rosy for Nick, until first one thing,then another goes wrong in his life and he has to learn to live through some painful experiences.
I'm a fan of novels in verse because they are so perfect for expressing things deeply felt, bursting with emotion, and yet so succinctly.
The verse here is in a variety of styles and expertly executed so that it doesn't seem like hard work to read, despite using language that might be expected to stretch the average reader. Above all this is a book to read for pleasure and to savour - absolutely. ( )
  bookwormbev17 | Dec 4, 2020 |
Solid and interesting, but I liked [b:The Crossover|18263725|The Crossover|Kwame Alexander|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1390427593s/18263725.jpg|25723388] more. (Though Nick's relationship with his mom was a delight.) ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
At first I was put off by a resentful tone in the narrative, but the tone improved. I could wish there were some way to confront bullies that didn't include physical violence but the focus on confronting our fear and following through is a beginning. I'm going to check out more from Kwame Alexander. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 18, 2020 |
The story Booked is about an eighth-grader named Nick Hall who was going through some things in life. He had an awful relationship with his father because he did not like reading much but his dad was the type of guy who makes his dictionaries and assigns reading assignments to Nick. His mom was also a horse lover who was offered a high paying job out of the state to care for horses at the beginning of the book and decided to take the job afterward. His parents also argued frequently and later on decide to go through with a divorce. Meanwhile, Nick and his friend even get bullied in school and worst of all he was diagnosed with perforated appendix forcing him to forfeit his soccer tournament taking place in Dallas. However, even after all those struggles, Nick seeks help from his librarian, Mr. Mcdonald and his crush, April. They both help him cope with his emotions and at the end of the story, Nick finds that he has a better life than he thought he did. Nick stood up against his bullies, confessed his admiration for April, and even built a stronger bond with his dad.
This book was so sad, heartfelt, inspiring, and just about everything else in between. Sometimes I felt it hard to read on, knowing that Nick was about the same age as me (he is twelve and I am thirteen). I can kind of relate to what he was going through and I just really felt bad for him. I wish I was there to stand up against the Egglestons (the bullies) when Nick didn't have the strength to do so and knowing how booked Nick's life was would just about get every single person who reads this. What an amazing feeling knowing that Nick overcame his downs and in the end opened an inner strength from within. ( )
  HSanPedro.ELA5 | Mar 25, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,586,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible