Booked by Kwame Alexander

Booked (edition 2016)

by Kwame Alexander (Author)

Series: The Crossover (2)

Twelve-year-old Nick loves soccer and hates books, but soon learns the power of words as he wrestles with problems at home, stands up to a bully, and tries to impress the girl of his dreams.
Member:KevinOKeefe
Title:Booked
Authors:Kwame Alexander (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2016), 320 pages

Booked by Kwame Alexander

A novel written in verse, flowing freely and smoothly, reading perfectly naturally. Talented poet and author Kwame Alexander tells the story of Nick Hall, a clever, articulate, football (as we call it in the UK) loving youngster. Everything is rosy for Nick, until first one thing,then another goes wrong in his life and he has to learn to live through some painful experiences.
I'm a fan of novels in verse because they are so perfect for expressing things deeply felt, bursting with emotion, and yet so succinctly.
The verse here is in a variety of styles and expertly executed so that it doesn't seem like hard work to read, despite using language that might be expected to stretch the average reader. Above all this is a book to read for pleasure and to savour - absolutely. ( )
  bookwormbev17 | Dec 4, 2020 |
Solid and interesting, but I liked [b:The Crossover|18263725|The Crossover|Kwame Alexander|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1390427593s/18263725.jpg|25723388] more. (Though Nick's relationship with his mom was a delight.) ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
At first I was put off by a resentful tone in the narrative, but the tone improved. I could wish there were some way to confront bullies that didn't include physical violence but the focus on confronting our fear and following through is a beginning. I'm going to check out more from Kwame Alexander. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 18, 2020 |
The story Booked is about an eighth-grader named Nick Hall who was going through some things in life. He had an awful relationship with his father because he did not like reading much but his dad was the type of guy who makes his dictionaries and assigns reading assignments to Nick. His mom was also a horse lover who was offered a high paying job out of the state to care for horses at the beginning of the book and decided to take the job afterward. His parents also argued frequently and later on decide to go through with a divorce. Meanwhile, Nick and his friend even get bullied in school and worst of all he was diagnosed with perforated appendix forcing him to forfeit his soccer tournament taking place in Dallas. However, even after all those struggles, Nick seeks help from his librarian, Mr. Mcdonald and his crush, April. They both help him cope with his emotions and at the end of the story, Nick finds that he has a better life than he thought he did. Nick stood up against his bullies, confessed his admiration for April, and even built a stronger bond with his dad.
This book was so sad, heartfelt, inspiring, and just about everything else in between. Sometimes I felt it hard to read on, knowing that Nick was about the same age as me (he is twelve and I am thirteen). I can kind of relate to what he was going through and I just really felt bad for him. I wish I was there to stand up against the Egglestons (the bullies) when Nick didn't have the strength to do so and knowing how booked Nick's life was would just about get every single person who reads this. What an amazing feeling knowing that Nick overcame his downs and in the end opened an inner strength from within. ( )
  HSanPedro.ELA5 | Mar 25, 2020 |
Like The Playbook I like Booked too again because of the poems about an Eighth grader Nick Hall who fail to meet his parent's expectations about playing basketball because his Dad was the best basketball player in his high school so his parents wanted him to get better so they pressured him to get better at basketball. I just like his books because he is a good author, but I do like the first book a little better because it introduces all the characters and I like the first books poems better.
I would recommend this book to people who like basketball and poems and Kwame Alexander's books. ( )
  EGingerich.ELA2 | Mar 25, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,320,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible