HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Land of the Beautiful Dead

by R. Lee Smith

SHE WOULD DARE ANYTHING TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM HIS RULE.EVEN HIS BED.He ascended from the darkness years ago--Azrael the Eternal, Azrael the Undying, Azrael Who Is Death--bringing with him the black rains, the fires, the souring of the sky, and the Eaters. Now he rules in the walled city of Haven with his favored Children and his dead court, while all that is left of the living struggles to survive in the ruins of a world that used to be their own. But even as extinction looms, humanity will never surrender to their monstrous conqueror.For Lan, this brutal life has been the only one she's ever known, but she still believes it can change. If the war can never truly end until the Eaters are ended, she will go to Haven, to Azrael himself, and demand he end them. To her surprise, she does not immediately die the hero's death she expected. Instead, Azrael offers her a chance to convince him, and all she has to do is submit herself to the chill embrace of the lord of the Land of the Beautiful Dead.From the author of The Scholomance and The Last Hour of Gann comes a new vision of dystopian romance!… (more)

Wow

I kept adding this to my TBR and then ignoring it. I figured there was no way that a story with the undead and eaters could be as good as people said. I was wrong. This story was so much more. After a while, I didn't even notice that aspect of the story. Instead, I was immersed in an amazing story where the banter and the connection came to life.

I laughed at the cheekiness of Lan and loved her passion and hope. The conversations with Azriel were intense and oftentimes made me think. They were insightful and intriguing. I smiled, I fretted, and I even teared up several times. This is my favorite from this author. ( )
  MagicalRi | Feb 24, 2022 |
DNF - 270 pages in and Lan shows no growth in character, no logical reason for her changing fancies and random ass/melodramatic moods, and no hope at being anything more than a underdeveloped, basic character. Also, everything has sexual/rapey subtexts, which is hella weird. ( )
  sraazad | Jul 1, 2021 |
What a book sad to finish.

I cannot say enough good things about this book, Land of the beautiful dead is a story I have lived and breathed over the last week,I have laughed and cried and become so emotionally attached to these two flawed characters Lan and Azrael ,I love R L Smith and did not think anything could surpass The Last Hour Of Gann for me but this did. My only criticism is it had to end lol, this book is one story I am unlikely to forget yet again BRAVO! R L Smith another unique triumph. ( )
  carpathian1974 | Nov 7, 2019 |
What a book sad to finish.

carpathian1974 | Nov 7, 2019 |
light on the sex, heavy on the philosophy and just fantastic writing. this was such an epic hopefull read, full of rich characters. i never knew where it was going but it ended up being utterly satisfying. ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,810,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible