Chasing the North Star: A Novel by Robert…

Chasing the North Star: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Robert Morgan (Author)

Member:molugum
Title:Chasing the North Star: A Novel
Authors:Robert Morgan (Author)
Info:Algonquin Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Chasing the North Star: A Novel by Robert Morgan

Thanks to the publisher and Goodreads for a free copy of Chasing the North Star!

This is a beautifully-written, poetic novel about slaves making their way north to freedom.

The author is a poet, and it shows in the turns of phrases. The writing style is simple, clear, and so evocative. It reads like poetry -- less words to create more impact.

And the sense of place was probably my favourite thing about this book. The descriptions are all so evocative, and there was such a sense of the foliage, the wildlife, the scenery, everything. It was beautiful and immersive to read.

So, why not a higher rating? There were a couple of things that made me uncomfortable. For starters, the portrayal of race seemed to fit with some tired stereotypes (although I'm white, so I'm hardly someone to listen to about this). And I was really uncomfortable with the presence of rape and sexual violence in the story. It just seemed like it didn't have a realistic impact on the characters and, because of that, it just felt unnecessary. I know it happened; the way it impacted the characters, though, didn't ring true.

Overall, though? The writing style and the sense of place were beautiful and powerful. I'm looking forward to checking out more books from this author. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
Robert Morgan has done it again. Great story with characters that take you along with them. Could not put this book down. I would definitely recommend this book to others. ( )
  debrarbell | Dec 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Robert Morgan is one of my favorite writers and I was excited to win Chasing the North Star from Librarything's early reviewers. As they say "He can sure spin a good yarn." I always learn things when I read one of Mr. Morgan's books and I always enjoy the Appalachia flavor but what he is really good at is pulling you into his characters lives. I always feel I am watching his story unfold on a movie screen. I was holding my breath more than once when Jonah Williams found himself in a predicament.
Thank you Algonquin Books and Librarything for a chance to review this wonderful book. ( )
  theeccentriclady | Nov 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did very much appreciate that the female protagonist is described as both fat and attractive, in a completely matter-of-fact way. But that was really the only interesting thing about the book: the characters were shallow and it was very difficult to get invested in their story. ( )
  atheist_goat | Jul 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an interesting book, describing the escape to the North of two teenage slaves. The two characters, Jonah and Angel, were drawn as having two distinctly different approaches to solving the problems along the way, with Jonah taking the more considered path to solving his dilemma. Surprisingly, nowhere along the way were they helped by members of the Underground Railway. This book was rich with colorful scenes and characters the two runaways met on their journey. Hard to put down, but the ending left me unsettled. ( )
  Pmaurer | Jun 5, 2017 |

On a moonless night in the spring of 1851, a young slave makes a bid for freedom with only the North Star to guide him. Novelist and historian Robert Morgan brings to full and vivid life the story of a runaway slave named Jonah Williams, who, on his eighteenth birthday, flees the South Carolina plantation on which he was born with only a few saved coins, a knife, and the clothes on his back. No shoes, no map, no clear idea of where to head, except north, hiding during the day and running through the night. Although Jonah eludes the men sent to capture him, the one person who never loses his trail is Angel, a slave girl he meets in North Carolina, remarkably free in spirit, who sees Jonah as her way to freedom and sets out to follow him. Morgan's clear, simple prose brings an urgency and authenticity to this spellbinding story of two teenage runaways and their terrifying world.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Robert Morgan's book Chasing the North Star is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robert Morgan's book Chasing the North Star was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,443,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible