A Boy Called Christmas (2015)

by Matt Haig

Other authors: Chris Mould (Illustrator)

Series: Boy Called Christmas (1)

"Nikolas, the boy who would one day be known as Santa Claus, goes on a life-changing quest to the North Pole"--

English (30)  Spanish (1)  All languages (31)
This was a reread for me, as I plan to listen to [b:The Girl Who Saved Christmas|30250405|The Girl Who Saved Christmas (Christmas, #2)|Matt Haig|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1469103747l/30250405._SY75_.jpg|50718333] and [b:Father Christmas and Me|35698350|Father Christmas and Me (Christmas, #3)|Matt Haig|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1500364181l/35698350._SY75_.jpg|57190385] for the first time during December. I enjoyed this story the second time around, although parts of it sounded sappy to the ears of a middle-aged adult. On the other hand, maybe this is exactly what I needed, to remind myself there is the possibility some magic and goodness still exists in the world.

Original Review:
"Laugh, even if there is nothing to laugh about. Especially then." (How to Be Jolly: The Father Christmas Guide to Happiness)

This is my first venture into the fantasy world of Matt Haig. A tale with magic, elves, reindeer, pixies, trolls and adventure, about how a young Finnish boy named Nicholas became Father Christmas, which is skillfully narrated by Stephen Frye. I quite enjoyed the story, although I expect children would like it even more. I highly recommend the audio version. ( )
  Ann_R | May 25, 2024 |
A properly Christmas book. This is the story of Nikolas, an extremely poor woodcutter's son. He had a deprived childhood, complete with wicked aunt, in the manner of all proper fairy tales, a saintly mother, and a good father, who turns out to have feet of clay. There's the mysterious knock on the door, which changes everything, a reindeer with powers of flight, elves with magical powers, and one Unkind Elf. This is Nikolas' journey from poverty to comfort, and to becoming Father Christmas for all time. Ho, ho, ho! Suitable for readers from about 7 - 70 ( )
  Margaret09 | Apr 15, 2024 |
Adversity
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
A fantasy origin story of Santa Claus, beginning with a young boy named Nicholas. It’s a little bit sad, somewhat depressing, gory, and violent, but probably a story that middle graders will gravitate to.

Our book group chose this as our December Christmas-theme book, and I was glad it was a quick read since I didn’t want to spend any more time on it and had to force myself to finish it. Not the feel-good Christmas story I was expecting.

I can’t recommend it. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Dec 15, 2023 |
Mooi verhaal over het ontstaan van Kerstmis. ( )
  wendy.verbiest | Nov 25, 2023 |

Matt Haigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mould, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,246,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible