Magic for Nothing

by Seanan McGuire

Series: InCryptid (6)

The sixth book in New York Times-bestselling Seanan McGuire's witty urban fantasy InCryptid series about a family of cryptozoologists who act as a buffer between humans and the magical creatures living in secret around us. "The only thing more fun than an October Daye book is an InCryptid book." --Charlaine Harris, #1 New York Times-bestselling author of Sookie Stackhouse series Improbable, adjective:                 1. Not very likely to happen; not probable.                 2. Probably not a very good idea anyway.                 3. See also "bad plan." As the youngest of the three Price children, Antimony is used to people not expecting much from her. She's been happy playing roller derby and hanging out with her cousins, leaving the globe-trotting to her older siblings while she stays at home and tries to decide what she wants to do with her life. She always knew that one day, things would have to change. She didn't think they'd change so fast. Annie's expectations keep getting shattered. She didn't expect Verity to declare war on the Covenant of St. George on live television. She didn't expect the Covenant to take her sister's threat seriously. And she definitely didn't expect to be packed off to London to infiltrate the Covenant from the inside...but as the only Price in her generation without a strong resemblance to the rest of the family, she's the perfect choice to play spy. They need to know what's coming. Their lives may depend on it. But Annie has some secrets of her own, like the fact that she's started setting things on fire when she touches them, and has no idea how to control it. Now she's headed halfway around the world, into the den of the enemy, where blowing her cover could get her killed. She's pretty sure things can't get much worse. Antimony Price is about to learn just how wrong it's possible for one cryptozoologist to be.… (more)

Loved it, as with all of these. ( )
  Malaraa | Apr 26, 2022 |
Finally, Antimony starting out on her own! Great fun, and only a little contrived at the end -- why are they so convinced that they'll never see each other again? I suppose it will be kind of interesting if they don't end up in a relationship, but I will be surprised. Hooray for derby girls and trapeeze, hooray for the lost tribes of mice, hooray for knocking Margaret Healy out _again_ and telling her the Price in question perished. Poor Margaret.

“HAIL THE RETURN OF THE PRECISE PRIESTESS! HAIL THE COMING OF THE VERY LARGE MONKEY!” indeed. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I think one of the biggest strengths of the InCryptid series is its ability to support switching viewpoint characters from volume to volume. These books exist in a shared world, but every Price sibling has a different perspective on life and a unique tone that comes along with it.

The whole series is funny, but the humor in each book comes at you from different angles. This book is the first of three focusing on Antimony Price, the youngest Price sibling, tasked with an important undercover mission after the world-changing events of the last book. She also ends up joining the circus.

One nice thing about Antimony’s story is that she gets a bit of new romance, which was missing from the last few books because Alex and Verity have more established relationships. It’s a fun time to mix romance and danger with death-defying feats in a carnival tent. I’ve already purchased the rest of the series so far, so it won’t be long before I’ve finished reading the remaining books. ( )
1 vote unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
I squealed when I saw there was a sequel to Cinder & Ella, which I loved and devoured. I pre-ordered it and started reading it as soon as it downloaded to my Kindle... I knew this was a bad idea, but I did it anyway. And I'm paying for it today because I didn't finish until about 4:30 AM.

But it was totally worth it.

Last we saw Ella and Brian, they just found each other again. This book picks up soon after the premiere of The Druid Prince. Now that they are together, they have to deal with the ramifications of actually being together, from Brian's crazy fame to Ella's overprotective dad. I loved it--obviously, since I didn't sleep last night in lieu of reading this ASAP.

It's a heavier book than Cinder & Ella, as Oram finally has Ella confront some of her own issues regarding body image and her relationship with her father. But it was really good to see her have resolution, not just romantically but emotionally.
I also liked that Ana seemed like a human being instead of the resentful and hateful shrew she used to be.

Cons: Not enough Vivian. And not nearly enough Rob, who is essentially a cameo character. And Vivian's dads Glenn and Steffan were only mentioned and never got any page time. Basically, I wanted more of the background characters I grew to love in the first book.

Also, the ending seemed a bit rushed - like the author had created all these hurdles in Ella's life and she had to resolve them, but the pacing seemed off.

But I'd definitely read more in this series. (Please? Pretty please?) ( )
  wisemetis | Dec 7, 2020 |
This was fun and page-turning, and expanded the InCryptid world, and really, that’s all I ask for with this series. There’s magic and romance and daring-do, and carnivals, knife-tricks, characters I hope show up again, and, of course, Aeslin mice. This wouldn’t be a McGuire novel without a bit of tragedy and questions of ethics, naturally, but those aren’t the focus in this series, not like her others. Basically, this is well-written and engaging “fluff” and perfectly hit the spot for me. I’m looking forward to the next installment already.

7/10 ( )
  NinjaMuse | Jul 26, 2020 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fell, AlyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Shawn, because he wouldn't let me get him an axolotl.
Love and amphibians, you nerd.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,999,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible