The Vanishing Throne

by Elizabeth May

Series: The Falconer (2)

21218111,687 (3.97)1 / 7
Aileana Kameron is the Falconer, born to hunt and slay the faeries who prey on mankind--but now, in 1847, the great battle is past, Edinburgh lies in ruins, and Aileana is a prisoner of the Fae prince Lonnrach, whose sister murdered her mother, and somehow she must find a way to escape, before he can steal her memories.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Absolutely adored this book and the first one and I can't wait for the third! It definitely leaves you wanting more.
  CherryHatchett | Jul 12, 2022 |
Luego de seis meses de no poder avanzar más de un capítulo como máximo, tengo que aceptar el poco interés que este libro me genera. No tengo interés en ninguno de los personajes, no logro entender a Aileana, no la quiero no la odio, simplemente no me importa. Y, los otros personajes tampoco me interesan.
  Ella_Zegarra | Jan 18, 2022 |
Rtc 3.5-3.75 ( )
  Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
3.5 Stars

The re-read was better than the first time I struggled through it, however, the repetitive phrases and internal monologue was difficult to handle. I eventually just skipped over them completely. I also had to skim-read sections toward the end that were clearly repetitive and there to just fill pages...? Not sure. But all the characters and the way the story is developing is what I absolutely love about this series. It is refreshing to find a YA book that isn't filled with characters you just want to choke. They are flawed and multi-dimensional and all have an important role to fulfill. While I really did enjoy the continuing of the story and the places the author is taking it, the first book still holds a special place for me, and I feel it is the better of the two so far. ( )
  Linda_Holcomb | Jun 6, 2019 |
I loved The Falconer, which I felt was fun and Buffy-esque, with elements of steampunk and historical romance. I loved The Vanishing Throne for very, very different reasons.

First, let me just say that this second installment feels less like YA fantasy and more like straight-up fantasy. Kam is still young, but this volume moves the characters and story into more mature and darker territory. At the very least, this is definitely High YA (14 ).

Because this book is dark. Really dark. This darkness serves its purpose, though, deepening and enriching May's world and her characters. I could wax rhapsodical and batter your eyeballs with GIFs expressing all my feels, but I'd rather just tell you to go read The Falconer and then immediately pick this one up and devour it and then start wishing and hoping and begging for 2017 to arrive and, with it, The Fallen Kingdom. So much changes in this book, especially at the end, and I'm on tenterhooks wanting to know the consequences and long-term effects of the decisions and actions of these characters.

Would have been five stars, but I was slightly disappointed by the lack of inventions/steampunk-y elements that I enjoyed so much in the first volume. ( )
  BillieBook | Apr 1, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elizabeth May's book The Vanishing Throne: The Falconer Book II was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,348,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible