The Darkest Torment

by Gena Showalter

Series: Lords of the Underworld {Showalter} (12), Die Herren der Unterwelt (12)

New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter returns with her most explosive Lords of the Underworld tale to date, about a fierce warrior on the brink of sanity who will stop at nothing to claim the exquisite human with the power to soothe the beast inside him... Driven to his death by the demon of Distrust, Baden spent centuries in purgatory. Now he's back, but at what cost? Bound to the king of the underworld, an even darker force, he's unable to withstand the touch of another...and he's quickly devolving into a heartless assassin with an uncontrollable temper. Things only get worse when a mission goes awry and he finds himself saddled with a bride--just not his own. Famed dog trainer Katarina Joelle is forced to marry a monster to protect her loved ones. When she's taken hostage by the ruthless, beautiful Baden immediately after the ceremony, she's plunged into a war between two evils--with a protector more dangerous than the monsters he hunts. They are meant to be enemies, but neither can resist the passion burning between them...and all too soon the biggest threat is to her heart. But as Baden slips deeper into the abyss, she'll have to teach him to love...or lose him forever.… (more)

[b:The Darkest Torment|25801632|The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld, #12)|Gena Showalter|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1445271993s/25801632.jpg|45655309] (Lords of the Underworld, #12) by [a:Gena Showalter|48192|Gena Showalter|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1447177534p2/48192.jpg] is a Paranormal Adult Romance.
I liked both Baden and Katarina, but there were a few things about their relationship that struck my 'No Way' chord. Baden is definitely a Kick Butt character when it comes to taking care of enemies. Katarina has some very interesting qualities too. It's just certain aspects of Katarina's personality and their relationship was a bit insulting to Baden's personality.
I enjoyed most of this story. I loved the humor. I loved that William, Gillian and Cameo all had great scenes that carried their stories forward. There is a lot to love about this one. I just wish she hadn't written Baden so 'weak' when it came to some of Katarina's actions.
It is well written and flows smoothly and quickly. No editing problems that I saw. I have to say a solid 4 stars. It just didn't hit my super wow factor to get 5 stars. ( )
  bodebeabay | Sep 25, 2022 |
Meh. This review pretty much covers my feelings about the book and series. I am curious about Cameo's story, and am dying for Legion's book, but I feel like Gena never fully recovered from her nose-dive into bible-thumping. It's gotten infinitely better, but not on par with her early work. Again, the review I linked to really covers it. ( )
  Rhiannon.Mistwalker | Aug 19, 2022 |
The Darkest Torment
By Gena Showalter
Lords of the Underworld #12

Baden was one of the original Lords of the Underworld but he was beheaded and sent to another realm where he lived for thousands of years with only Pandora for company. Pandora made his life miserable but that was better than not feeling anything at all.

Now, Baden is back in the realm of the humans with the help of Hades who put some kind of weird serpent bands or wreaths on his arms to keep him sentient. There are a few drawbacks to this, however. He is now Hades’ servant and has to do whatever he demands. Hades is at war with his son, Lucifer, for the control of the Underworld. He sends Baden out on missions that will help him in that endeavor. The wreaths come with some kind of monster called Destruction who is trying to control Baden which makes Baden violent and uncontrollable at times. And Pandora also got herself a pair of armbands and is doing Hades’ bidding. Hades has turned it into a competition. They get points for successful missions and whoever receives the most points will get to continue living. Fun!

On one mission, Baden has to get a coin from a Russian Mobster named Aleksander Ciernik. The coin is rumored to grant the holder a wish from Hades or rather Hades has to do anything the holder asks. Baden and a couple of Lords of the Underworld friends confront the mobster in the middle of his wedding ceremony. Baden ends up taking Aleksander’s bride as incentive for Aleksander to give up the coin but Aleksander only thinks of Katarina as another one of his possessions. It’s going to take a lot more for him to give up the coin to Baden.

Katarina was forced into marrying Aleksander Ciernik. He took her three dogs who are like her family and he threatened to kill them unless she married him. I kept on thinking that Katarina was a better woman than I am because I would have never married anyone because of an animal…my human children…but not my dogs but to each their own and all that.

Now, Katarina is a prisoner of man who is clearly not human and she is thrown into a world of supernatural beings and danger but the biggest threat is to her heart as she starts to fall in love with her captor.

I love this series, not only for the romance factor but for the other characters and ongoing storylines. There is William who, in the beginning when I first read about him, I thought was just some powerful egotistical supernatural being but have since learned that he is Hades’ son and he is the father of the four Horsemen of the Apocolypse. In this book, he abducts Gilly, who is a human girl who William cares for and he hides her from everyone because she is dying and he is desperately searching for a way to heal her. Apparently, Gilly is not totally human and the doctors tell William that she is dying because she is trying to morph into her immortality but her body is not handling it well. Hades tells him that the only way to save her is to bond with her and marry her. William refuses because of his curse that says that his mate or wife will be his destruction or something like that.

While William is off doing whatever William does, someone named Pukinn or Puck comes to visit Gilly and tells her that he will bond with her to save her if she wants to but he will want to be a true husband and wife which will involve sex, something Gilly does not want since she was abused by her step-father and step-brothers.

Another storyline that was barely touched upon but is interesting none the less is the story of Cameo and Lazarus. She was stuck in another realm with him for a while but since her demon is Misery, she can barely remember Lazarus but what she does remember, she thinks she may have felt happiness which is something she hasn’t felt in thousands of years.

I am looking forward to finding out what happens next in this series.

www.paranormalromanceslut.com ( )
  dragonlion | Jul 30, 2022 |
This was nice. I was involved enough to care what happened, but not so wrapped up in it that I was annoyed when the characters made a foreseeable mistake or something. (They did a pretty good job not being idiots as well though). It was amusing to see the trope of a heroine taming her beastly hero, with the heroine actually being a professional beast tamer (dog trainer specializing in rehabilitating abused animals). =) It also had a nice balance between checking in with previous characters, and setting up future romances, and still prioritizing this couple. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Mar 22, 2021 |

Gena Showalterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bellmore, MaxNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,897,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible