Reader, I Married Him (2016)

by Tracy Chevalier (Editor)

Other authors: Joanna Briscoe (Contributor), Emma Donoghue (Contributor), Helen Dunmore (Contributor), Esther Freud (Contributor), Jane Gardam (Contributor)15 more, Linda Grant (Contributor), Kristy Gunn (Contributor), Tessa Hadley (Contributor), Sarah Hall (Contributor), Susan Hill (Contributor), Elizabeth McCracken (Contributor), Nadifa Mohamed (Contributor), Audrey Niffenegger (Contributor), Patricia Park (Contributor), Francine Prose (Contributor), Namwali Serpell (Contributor), Elif Shafak (Contributor), Lionel Shriver (Contributor), Salley Vickers (Contributor), Evie Wyld (Contributor)

This collection of original stories by today's finest women writers--including Tracy Chevalier, Francine Prose, Elizabeth McCracken, Tessa Hadley, Audrey Niffenegger, and more--takes inspiration from the opening line in Charlotte Brontë's most beloved novel, Jane Eyre. A fixture in the literary canon, Charlotte Brontë is revered by readers all over the world. Her novels featuring unforgettable, strong heroines still resonate with millions today. And who could forget one of literature's best-known lines: "Reader, I married him" from her classic novel Jane Eyre? Part of a remarkable family that produced three acclaimed female writers at a time in nineteenth-century Britain when few women wrote, and fewer were published, Bronté has become a great source of inspiration to writers, especially women, ever since. Now in Reader, I Married Him, twenty of today's most celebrated women authors have spun original stories, using the opening line from Jane Eyre as a springboard for their own flights of imagination.… (more)

English (15)  Piratical (1)  All languages (16)
This was an entertaining collection of short stories inspired by "Jane Eyre." I really enjoyed reading all the different styles of writing and the different ways in which each author incorporated "Reader, I Married Him." Very original. ( )
  niaomiya | Dec 17, 2020 |
This was okay, I wasn't sure what I was expecting. Some of the stories I could certainly tell where based off Jane Eyre but others the authors certainly took some liberties. There was a handful of stories that really struck me, but for the most part I felt like I had to drudge through them. I did appreciate the variety and diversity of the characters and the relationships within it however, that was one thing that kept me interested. ( )
  hopebarton2014 | Jun 15, 2020 |
Short story collections are almost always a mixed bag, but I enjoyed the vast majority of these. The connections to Jane Eyre are variable, but there's always something that pulls it together. ( )
  duchessjlh | Oct 25, 2019 |
These are stories inspired by Jane Eyre. As with any compilation of short stories, some are good, some are bad, but this time the good ones outweigh the bad. My favorite was "The Hold" about a woman with multiple marriages. Wow, is all I have to say. There was “The Orphan Exchange” which centers around the time in the orphanage, wonderful. “The Mirror” is a creepy story from Rochester's perspective which is the very definition of gaslighting. One is from the nurse's point of view, “Grace Poole Her Testimony”. “The Mash-Up” is a funny, crazy story about a marriage between people of different cultures, not really Jayne Eyrish, but still engaging. "Robinson Crusoe at the Waterpark" is about two gay men and their son. At first I didn't really see how it fit in this anthology, but it did. 'My Mother's Wedding" is another kind of creepy story about marriage and family. Lionel Shriver’s “The Self-Seeding Sycamore” is good on so many levels even though it has little to do with Bronte. Chevalier's own "The Dorset Gap" also is not much related to Bronte except in the opposites attract kind of way. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Sep 12, 2019 |
First up: confession time - I'm not a huge fan of Jane Eyre. It's one of those stories where I was willing her to walk away from him and stand on her own two feet and not submit to convention. As an unequal marriage I always wondered how much chance it had of success.
This book takes the story and themes of Jane Eyre and each female writer has written a short story in response. In some of them it is a continuation of the Jane story (with two quite different takes on the outcome) in others it is the same story told from a differen character's persepctive. Others take the story and transpose it in time and place while others riff on the subject of love and marriage - both good and bad. Several take as their start or end point the final lines of Jane Eyre, and in each story the line has a different twist or emphasis. I really enjoyed listening to these. ( )
  Helenliz | Sep 3, 2019 |

Shriver, LionelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vickers, SalleyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wyld, EvieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Charlotte, of course

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,871,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible