Chance : the science and secrets of luck, randomness and probability

by New Scientist, Michael Brooks (Editor)

38None505,432 (3.5)None
For you to be here today reading this requires a mind-boggling series of lucky breaks, starting with the Big Bang and ending in your own conception. So it's not surprising that we persist in thinking that we're in with a chance, whether we're playing the lottery or working out the likelihood of extra-terrestrial life. In Chance, a (not entirely) random selection of the New Scientist's sharpest minds provide fascinating insights into luck, randomness, risk and probability. From the secrets of coincidence to placing the perfect bet, the science of random number generation to the surprisingly haphazard decisions of criminal juries, it will explore these, and many other, tantalising questions. Following on from the bestselling Nothing and Question Everything, this book will open your eyes to the weird and wonderful world of chance - and help you see when some things, in fact, aren't random at all.… (more)
2015 (1) 21st century (1) anthology (1) art (1) essays (1) goodreads (1) Kindle (1) library (1) math (3) owned (1) physics (1) probability (2) science (6) shelf 0 (1) to-read (2) TV3 (1) unread (1)

No reviews

New Scientistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brooks, MichaelEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,589,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible