Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Star Wars: The Force Awakens by Alan Dean…

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (edition 2016)

by Alan Dean Foster (Author)

The official novelization of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the highly anticipated blockbuster film directed by J. J. Abrams, hitting theaters in December 2015.
Member:bebopfirefly
Title:Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Authors:Alan Dean Foster (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2016), Edition: Media tie-in, 272 pages

Work Information

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens by Alan Dean Foster

This is simply the movie in book form, and even does a poor job of being that. Reads like it was written by a 7th grader in about 3 hours. Excessive use of big and obscure words when simple ones would have sufficed. I really enjoyed the movie so I'm sad this book is so lame. Makes me wonder if other Star Wars books are also this bad? ( )
  Jeff.Rosendahl | Sep 21, 2021 |
In answer to the eternal question, I don't honestly know whether it's better than the movie. It's definitely more helpful for those of us not steeped in the Star Wars lore, but I cannot deny a lightsaber fight that "lights up the forest like an explosion" works better on the big screen than my Kindle.
That being said, the novel puts motivations and connections in better order than the movie did (at least on one showing), and the writing quality paints quite the picture. Definitely a worthwhile read for those who are even tangentially interested in the Star Wars mythology. ( )
  kaitwallas | May 21, 2021 |
This novelization of the phenomal Episode VI was possibly the best novelization I ever read. It follows the movie closely but also gives a great deal more insight into the thoughts of most characters as well as additional dialogue. ( )
  plitzdom | May 12, 2021 |
Hey, I wrote a review for this!

"What Foster does in his novelization of 'Force Awakens' is take the breakneck pace of the two-hour-plus film and slow it down to a more suitable pace for verse. It is still a quick read but it now has layers that the film did not have, including additional character insight and missing scenes."

You can read my complete review of the Star Wars TFA novelization at the Current student newspaper website. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Some awkward prose, perhaps induced by the need to produce a novel-length story from the screenplay, but definitely readable. Worth a read if you have some time and want a few insights into the main characters of the new canon. ( )
  jplumey | Feb 24, 2021 |
I’ve mentioned that we have seen Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens a few times in the theatre. So far, it has been three times. Tomorrow, Sunday, we are seeing it for the fourth and last time in the theatres. AMC is only offering four promotional prints, and I think it has been amazing to see the types of records a film of this has broken already.

When I heard there was a novelization that filled in some of the movie’s more noticeable holes, I preordered (back in 2015, of all things!) and got it yesterday, despite a copious delay from the USPS (I think it had to do with weather). Anyway, it is safe in my hands, and read to boot!

Rather than spoil things for those who might not have seen the movie, I am going to keep it very vague. But, I will tell you that reading this book is a MUST for any Star Wars fan, or any of those who may have questions about the film, itself. I was impressed by how much seemed to be edited out (probably for time) and that made sense when superimposing the book’s text or dialogue with the movie. I cannot stress how many questions (apart from the big one) that the novelization by Alan Dean Foster answers.

It is a dark time, as the First Order readies a weapon that will most certainly destroy any planets that disagree with their policies and procedures. But there is hope, in the form of a small map that will point the way to the Last Jedi, Luke Skywalker. And, as Skywalker disappeared years ago, the First Order (and Kylo Ren, a Sith on the verge of bringing back the mantle of Darth Vader) uses all available resources to find the map. But, as the droid carrying it befriends two humans who partake a quest to get the droid back to the Rebellion, the window to the First Order finding Skywalker gets smaller and smaller. Will the Rebellion triumph, or with the darkness of the Sith overpower the small, scattered group of rebels?

Alan Dean Foster is well-known within the sci-fi and fantasy genre, and I can’t think of someone more prepared for writing the novelization (with one or two exceptions). However, this novelization appears to be fantastic and a true treat for any Star Wars fan. Pick it up in hardcover, ebook or audio format from your favorite retailer today. You won’t be sorry!
added by gothamgal | editAlwaysReiding, Nicole Reid (Jan 9, 2016)

Alan Dean Fosterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, MarcNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, Random HousePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Movie novelization

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,305,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible