Four Roads Cross

by Max Gladstone

"The great city of Alt Coulumb is in crisis. The moon goddess Seril, long thought dead, is back--and the people of Alt Coulumb aren't happy. Protests rock the city, and Kos Everburning's creditors attempt a hostile takeover of the fire god's church. Tara Abernathy, the god's in-house Craftswoman, must defend the church against the world's fiercest necromantic firm--and against her old classmate, a rising star in the Craftwork world. As if that weren't enough, Cat and Raz, supporting characters from Three Parts Dead , are back too, fighting monster pirates; skeleton kings drink frozen cocktails, defying several principles of anatomy; jails, hospitals, and temples are broken into and out of; choirs of flame sing over Alt Coulumb; demons pose significant problems; a farmers' market proves more important to world affairs than seems likely; doctors of theology strike back; Monk-Technician Abelard performs several miracles; The Rats! play Walsh's Place; and dragons give almost-helpful counsel."--Syndetics… (more)

If I have a complaint, it's that this seems a bit "more of the same" compared to the previous novel. On the other hand, I like that "same" just fine--a return to some favorite characters and settings, plus a fun tiny cameo I noticed from Gladstone's interactive fiction stories. ( )
  grahzny | Jul 17, 2023 |
Sadly, not as good as Three Parts Dead. I still definitely prefer Tara and Alt Coulomb to Dresediel Lex, but this wasn't quite as harebrained, and it was a little too widespread. I would kind of prefer to keep both sets of characters contained so that you can understand references within each setting. ( )
  Tikimoof | Feb 17, 2022 |
I'm marking this one down because I had trouble getting to the end. It's a bit on the turgid side. I did like being in this world again. And who wouldn't love the opening scene where a wizard's skull is carefully packed in a box padded with packing *immaterial*. Just too much waiting and traveling, not enough going on. It felt like it could have been boiled down to a tastier novella. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
My favorite of these so far, for the most part. Ties together a lot of loose ends and pieces from the first 3 books (chronologically) and flows well. ( )
  jercox | Jun 2, 2021 |
Back in the city of Coulomb-- a God thought dead turns out to be very much alive. The problem is that her existence threatens the contractual and financial obligations of her Lover, the Fire God of the City.

To say anything more is just a waste-- The complexities of everything must be read to be unravelled.

Just READ it. ( )
  Caragen87 | Mar 29, 2021 |

Max Gladstoneprimary authorall editionscalculated
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tara Abernathy's first job as in-house counsel for the Church of Kos was to hide a body.
Faith is a state of constant examination and openness. In faith we must be vulnerable. Only in this seeming weakness do we live with God.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,951,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible