Fantasy. Fiction. Historical Fiction. HTML:

Three times they tried to kill her. Then a professional was hired. So was Riyria.

When the last member of the oldest noble family in Avryn is targeted for assassination, Riyria is hired to foil the plot. Three years have passed since the war-weary mercenary Hadrian and the cynical ex-assassin Royce joined forces to start life as rogues-for-hire. Things have gone well enough until they're asked to help prevent a murder. Now they must venture into an ancient corner of the world to save a mysterious woman who knows more about Royce than is safe and cares less about herself than is sane.
From the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of The Legends of the Frist empire comes the third installment of The Riyria Chronicles. Although part of a series, it's designed to thrill both new readers looking for fun, fast-paced fantasy and Riyria veterans wishing to reunite with old friends. For those who do wish to experience the entire Riyria saga, two reading options exist:
Order of Publication: Theft of Swords | Rise of Empire | Heir of Novron | The Crown Tower | The Rose and the Thorn | The Death of Dulgath
Chronological Order: The Crown Tower | The Rose and the Thorn | The Death of Dulgath | Theft of Swords | Rise of Empire | Heir of Novron
PRAISE FOR MICHAEL'S RIYRIA BOOKS
"This epic fantasy showcases the arrival of a master storyteller." ?? Library Journal on Theft of Swords
"A delightful, entertaining and page-turning read that reminds us just how enjoyable, and how good The Riyria Revelations series is. A must-buy for all fantasy lovers." ?? The Founding Fields on Rise of Empire
"Heir of Novron is the conclusion to the Riyria Revelations, cementing it in a position as a new classic of modern fantasy: traditional in setting, but extremely unconventional in, well, everything else." ?? Drying Ink on Heir of Novron
"Snappy banter, desperate stakes, pulse-pounding swordplay, and good old-fashioned heroics are all on full display here." ?? 52 Book Reviews on The Crown Tower
"The Rose and the Thorn is full of mystery, adventure, betrayal and just plain awesome." ?? Fantasy Faction on The Rose and
… (more)

I intended to wait until shortly before the launch of the 4th sequel in the Riyria Chronicles before listening to this one, but then I felt I just had to return to Hadrian and Royce now.

I do love the Riyria series, and I love Tim Gerard Reynolds' narration. I enjoy the foreword, spoken by the author himself, too, giving us some information about what he's doing etc. Michael truly seems to love interacting with his readers, and I appreciate that.

The story is another great one, humorous like the other Riyria stories, and giving us an ever clearer picture of Royce and Hadrian. I couldn't help but rolling my eyes at Hadrian on occasions, wishing he would listen to Royce every now and again. But his naivety and his belief in the good in humanity is what makes Hadrian so lovable after all, and I wouldn't want him any different.
If you're curious about the series, do yourself a favour and start with the Riyria Revelations before moving on to the chronicles. It's not because you couldn't read each of the books on its own -- you'd be perfectly able to follow the story and all without knowing any of the other books, but, at least for me, it just enhances the reading experience with the knowledge I have of all the other books -- plus, they're all really great. ( )
  Belana | Dec 15, 2021 |
Kudos to Michael Sullivan for continuing to develop his lead characters, Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn. In this Riyria Chronicle, Hadrian and Royce travel to a remote part of the Realm (Southern Maranon), where the land is fertile and the wealth is perfect, to help prevent the murder of Lady Nysa Dulgath. Several attempts have already been made on her life, and there is a battle for succession for her father and for the rising Nyphron Church. Nysa is not what she seems and understands more about Royce then he does about himself. A local townswoman (Scarlett) befriends Hadrian, but knows Royce from his days as an assassin. Murder, conspiracy, betrayals galore. Great fun. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
A wonderful completion to this series! The introduction of yet another fascinating aspect of this world was done so naturally as to make the whole world even more believable. Once again, the characters are interesting and presented with complexity and depth, though the good guys are generally good and the bad guys are bad, and the unknown are very much like Star Trek Red Shirts (they will die).

Once again I appreciated the strong female characters and wish that they were more dominant in the storylines.

I am off to read the originally published series that happens chronologically after these stories and am excited to see where Hadrian and Royce end up. ( )
  ColourfulThreads | Feb 18, 2021 |
Another adventure novel of Royce and Hardian sees them in a new area of the world with a new job, with this one being a bit more unusual then there normal jobs. Of all the Riyria universe novels so far, this one is my favorite. The writing is a lot better, the characters are interesting, and the worldbuilding is much better. It is a stand alone, episodic book in the series. ( )
  renbedell | Aug 25, 2019 |
Royce and Hadrian are probably my favourite. I love these prequel novels that give us a glimpse of their relationship before the beginning of the Riyiria Revelations. I may not remember everything from those books, (it may be time for a re-read), but this world still felt so familiar and I really loved it.

This was a fun adventure, and definitely didn't turn out the way I thought it would, but oh boy was that a ride! There is something about Royce and Hadrian and their banter that sucks me in. I really enjoyed the world and getting to see Maranon. The writing was fast paced and easy to read, and I was just so engrossed. Great read! and I will definitely be reading the next book when I can get my hands on it! Hopefully these stories keep coming! ( )
  jdifelice | May 23, 2018 |

Notable Lists

To 1,876 generous backers
and one amazingly supportive woman.
I couldn’t have done it without you.
If anyone had asked Royce Melborn what he hated most at that moment, he would’ve said dogs.

Fantasy. Fiction. Historical Fiction. HTML:

PRAISE FOR MICHAEL'S RIYRIA BOOKS

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,993,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible