A Cold Death in Amsterdam by Anja De Jager

A Cold Death in Amsterdam

by Anja De Jager

A smart and engaging police procedural about a Dutch detective struggling to come to terms with her past. Set in Amsterdam, the novel introduces Lotte Meerman, a Cold Case detective still recovering from the emotional devastation of her previous investigation. A tip-off leads Lotte to an unresolved ten-year-old murder case in which her father was the lead detective. When she discovers irregularities surrounding the original investigation that make him a suspect, she decides to cover for him. She doesn't tell her boss about the family connection and jeopardises her career by hiding evidence. Now she has to find the real murderer before her acts are discovered, otherwise her father will go to jail and she will lose her job, the one thing in life she still takes pride in.… (more)

Policing runs in Lotte Meerman’s family. Her father is a retired police officer, and she herself is on the force with the cold case squad. One of the cold cases that crosses her desk happens to be her father’s last case before he retired—and something’s fishy about it that makes him look like a suspect. And as if that isn’t enough, Lotte is still dealing with the fallout (personal and professional) from a particularly traumatic case.

I liked the idea of this series, and the setting of Amsterdam was definitely a draw. It was a good choice to set the book in winter, too, because most people’s image of Amsterdam is going to be a nice sunny day in April, when the tulips are out. But in comparison to other mysteries I’ve read recently, I found this one flat. There were some good turns of phrase and a good cast of characters, but for whatever reason I found myself stuck at “almost liked this, but not quite.” ( )
  rabbitprincess | Sep 19, 2019 |
This book was a slow build of mystery/suspense and I found myself hooked by Lotte Meerman's story. Anja de Jager weaves her tale masterfully, using frozen midwinter Amsterdam as the perfect noir backdrop to intertwining mysteries. The anti-hero/narrator, Lotte, is so damaged and relatable. Even though I'm not usually a big reader of this genre, I loved this book and I look forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  AbbyVegas | Jan 19, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,823,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible