Who Stole My Spandex? Life in the Hot Flash…

Who Stole My Spandex? Life in the Hot Flash Lane

by Marcia Kester Doyle

Blogger Marcia Kester Doyle tells it like it is and nothing is off limits. Who Stole My Spandex? is a witty selection of stories from Doyle's madcap world of menopausal pitfalls, wardrobe malfunctions, and a family full of pranksters. This clever compilation includes laugh-out-loud pieces like "Queen of Klutz," "One Size Fits None," and "Hands off my Egg Roll " From couples' colonoscopies to nightmare holidays to disappearing spandex, no topic-no matter how crazy or unimaginable-is too taboo. With a heavy dose of self-deprecating humor, and a dash of sentiment, this marvelous collection of anecdotes will resonate with anyone who's ever felt the call of nature at exactly the wrong time. Welcome to the nuthouse that Marcia Kester Doyle calls home.… (more)

The worst failing humor writing can have is not to be funny. Unfortunately, I found Doyle's essays, and her family's antics, more boring than amusing- to the point that I- usually a book completist- read the first few, skimmed a bunch more, and deleted it.

It's trying to be classic "women's humor"- filled with tales about horrible children and ineffectual husbands- cliches, all. The thing is, though, that these tales need to be funny! When it all just seems dismal and overwhelming, it's more depressing than heartwarming.

I remember reading Erma Bombeck as a kid, and even though I was not anything like her target audience, she had a wry outlook and great turns of phrase that had me giggling. Similarly, Dave Barry does domestic humor very well indeed, though his writing tracked my experiences more.

This was a disappointment. Doyle seems to be of an age with me- maybe a bit younger- and I was hoping to find giggles in dealing with menopause in particular. Alas, no. Instead, her anecdotes reminded me of the kind of mystery "cozies" that I cannot read anymore- ostensibly funny, but with a competent women trying heroically to deal with the chaos all her friends and family inflicts upon her. Now, Bombeck did some of that, too- but she was FUNNY, and not entirely a doormat.

Not recommended. ( )
  cissa | Jul 28, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Who Stole My Spandex? Life in the Hot Flash Lane is laugh out loud funny (and I have never used LOL in a sentence before right now), which short, sharp-witted antidotes that you can read when you’re waiting in line or don’t have much time. Along with the humorous essays, though, Marcia Kester Doyle shares personal serious topics. I’m excited to learn that Doyle is a blogger and I’ll be sure to check that out, as well as some of her other books.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jurai2 | May 10, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Who Stole My Spandex? Life in the Hot Flash Lane, by Marcia Kester Doyle is a memorable collection of happenings in her life. I tried to pick a favorite chapter, but it was impossible. They were all my favorite. She writes with humor and great sensitivity. Highly recommended!!!
I received a free copy of this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers and the opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  SAMANTHA100 | Mar 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Funny short stories, relatable to most women who wake up one day in their 50's wondering what the heck happened to our bodies. I gave it only four stars because I didn't find myself anxious to get back to it; I didn't have to stay up all night because I couldn't put it down. That said, it is light-hearted with some laugh-out-loud lines. ( )
  WeeBeastie | Feb 23, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved reading this book ! Very funny and insightful for me. I recommend it as a great read. Not only for menopausal women but women of all ages. ( )
  dbrant2009 | Feb 20, 2016 |
I received this ebook free from the author through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review.

This book was funny, but suffered from being a blog turned book. The stories aren't really linked, so there no impetus to continue reading it. I ended up not finishing it.
added by mverga | editThe LibraryThing Early Reviewers (Mar 20, 2016)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marcia Kester Doyle's book Who Stole My Spandex? Life in the Hot Flash Lane was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,907,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible