Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War…

Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War (2016)

by Mary Roach

Recently added bylthomson, sylw, RoyCazier, agrondin, private library, elle_em, ISCCSandy, thefirstdark, alhall

Of the two books that I purchased upon release, this was not the one I expected to be the favorite. Mary Roach is a master with difficult subjects. I was a huge fan of "Stiff," but I suspected it was the subject and not the author. I was wrong. Ms. Roach explores everything from penial reconstruction or transplants to diarrhea and dehydration, with class and humor. I learned that every soldier killed in war gets autopsied to determine best medical practices and those are reviewed monthly. I figured that I would have some topics for discussion with my former sniper boyfriend, but I did not expect to be as interested as I was. I am going to be reading the Mary Roach novels that I skipped. She is great. ( )
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
I read this because a dinosaur told me to. No, really. @SuetheTRex is my favorite thing on Twitter and they posted a list of sciencey books so I gave it a shot. I quickly added ALL the other Mary Roach books to my list. This book was fascinating. I love the humor and humanity, the science and the focus on stuff (almost) no one really focuses on — except the quirky military scientists Roach spent time with for this book. I can unequivocally say I’ve never considered how diarrhea impacts snipers (lots), how much machine gun fire it takes to cause hearing loss (not much) or why a regular highway crash test dummy doesn’t help determine injuries of roadside IED explosions (its complicated.)
I read this book in under 24 hours start to finish and I can’t wait to read her other books. Science for non-scientists is one of my passions and I can’t believe I’ve been missing out on Mary Roach! Thank you, Sue the T-Rex, you smarty pants prehistoric murder bird! (Also if you’re on twitter, follow Sue.) ( )
  justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
Mary Roach, whose recent literary career has been based on asking the un-askable (Why do we poop? Can the soul be weighed? What are the mortician's favorite cosmetic tricks?) and providing answers which are both informative and highly readable, has tackled an equally unlikely subject in 'Grunt'.

Technically, one could categorize this as "military science / medicine". Roach takes a look at everything from genital reconstruction to sleep deprivation to stink bombs and -- most often -- manages to keep her wry humor and finely-tuned sense of the ridiculous.

But this is a tough climb, and the book is at times a difficult read. One can endure only so many descriptions of the kinds of damage intentionally done to one human by another before the mind numbs and simply wants to shut down.

The book is buoyed (pun intended) by the chapters on submarine service -- underwater escape techniques, the Navy's search for an effective shark repellent, and even a study of sleep-deprivation among submarine crews.

Overall, it's a worthwhile read, but probably not the best introduction to Roach's oeuvre. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Feb 12, 2019 |
This is a book about assets solders use, but it is not about guns or bombs. It supplies a wealth of information on topics ranging from what solders wear to penis replacement for anti-infantry mine victims to schedules on nuclear submarines. All is great, the author is a very nice storyteller (check her other books), she is clever but sometimes she tries to play ‘dumb blondie’ with stuff like “He helped me put on my gear. (“I can stick my lip balm and tape recorder in these little skinny vest pockets.” “Those are for ammo.”)”
So, if you want to know whether shark repellent works or stink bombs use against Japanese and a lot more – read it
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |

Mary Roachprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kohsar, WakilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kulick, GreggCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of William S. Rachles
The chicken gun has a sixty-foot barrel, putting it solidly in the class of an artillery piece.
US government button specifications run to twenty-two pages. This fact on its own yields a sense of what it is like to design garments for the Army.

Best-selling author Mary Roach explores the science of keeping human beings intact, awake, sane, uninfected, and uninfested in the bizarre and extreme circumstances of war.

Grunt tackles the science behind some of a soldier’s most challenging adversaries―panic, exhaustion, heat, noise―and introduces us to the scientists who seek to conquer them. Mary Roach dodges hostile fire with the U.S. Marine Corps Paintball Team as part of a study on hearing loss and survivability in combat. She visits the fashion design studio of U.S. Army Natick Labs and learns why a zipper is a problem for a sniper. She visits a repurposed movie studio where amputee actors help prepare Marine Corps medics for the shock and gore of combat wounds. At Camp Lemmonier, Djibouti, in east Africa, we learn how diarrhea can be a threat to national security. Roach samples caffeinated meat, sniffs an archival sample of a World War II stink bomb, and stays up all night with the crew tending the missiles on the nuclear submarine USS Tennessee. She answers questions not found in any other book on the military: Why is DARPA interested in ducks? How is a wedding gown like a bomb suit? Why are shrimp more dangerous to sailors than sharks? Take a tour of duty with Roach, and you’ll never see our nation’s defenders in the same way again. 15 illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 14 Dec 2015 17:06:36 -0500)

"'Grunt' tackles the science behind some of a soldier's most challenging adversaries-- panic, exhaustion, heat, noise-- and introduces us to the scientists who seek to conquer them"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,065,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible