The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

The Princess Diarist

by Carrie Fisher

9198813,913 (3.52)97

English (87)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (88)
Hilarious and heartwarming stories of her filming of the Star Wars series.....and Harrison Ford.....insightful and fun, and very charming. Recommend. ( )
  over.the.edge | Sep 16, 2018 |
The book, like Gaul, is divided into three parts. The first part is in Carrie's own voice, talking about her early family life, the movie Shampoo, the iconic hairstyle she will forever be remembered for, and her affair with Harrison Ford. And then her affair with Harrison. Yes, and her affair with Harrison--very repetitous, and boring to anyone out of high school.

The middle section is her actual diary, read by Billie Lourd (her daughter?). In many ways it is elegant adolescent writing. It definitely took me back to my life-angst when I was 19-20 years old. I can't say I enjoyed revisiting that time, but I did enjoy Carrie's play on words and rhyming schemes.

The third part began with, hello!, talking about Harrison, but then she moved on to mainly speak of fans and autographs. Oh, and a sentence about Paul Simon. ( )
  kaulsu | Aug 15, 2018 |
I wish I'd read this while Carrie Fisher was still alive. Her death cast a bittersweet pall over the entire book. To be honest, I was less thrilled with the actual diary parts, having just gone through my own 19 year old musings in journal form, I just didn't need to do it twice. But Fisher's humor and view of the world was interesting to me, and how Leia shaped her life. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 26, 2018 |
I listened to the audiobook, read by Carrie Fisher herself, and it was a delight. It's separated into roughly four parts: Carrie's acting experience pre-Star Wars and the audition process for A New Hope, her affair with Harrison (while he was married), excerpts from her diary at the time, and how she feels now about her Star Wars legacy. The strongest and most interesting part, by far, is her recollection of her affair with Harrison. She doesn't go into any lurid details, but it's fascinating all the same. Her diary entries (read by her daughter, Billie Lourd) are cringeworthy but also what you would expect of a 19-year-old during a turbulent time of her life. I have to admit that while listening I skipped past about half of her diary entries because they were just too embarrassing. Mostly an interesting and entertaining account of the impact that Star Wars has had on Carrie Fisher's life. RIP Carrie. ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
I love Carrie Fisher and all, but this really wasn't what I thought it would be. It just made everyone seem really annoying and honestly if I didn't love Star Wars so much, might have ruined the original trilogy for me. I was hoping for something exciting, fresh, and new, but all we got were the ramblings of a depressed Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford seeming to use her. Wasn't my favorite in the world. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
Irvin Kershner
J. J. Abrams
Rian Johnson
It was 1976...

Charlie’s Angels, Laverne & Shirley, and Family Feud premiered on TV.

The best-selling author of Postcards From the Edge and Hollywood icon best known for her Star Wars role shares interconnected essays exploring her life as the child of Tinseltown royalty, adventures on the sets of Star Wars and struggles with bipolar disorder.
-Novelist

"With these excerpts from her handwritten notebooks, [this] is Fisher's intimate and revealing recollection of what happened on one of the most famous film sets of all time--and what developed behind the scenes. And today, as she reprises her most iconic role for the latest Star Wars trilogy, Fisher also ponders the joys and insanity of celebrity, and the absurdity of a life spawned by Hollywood royalty, only to be surpassed by her own outer-space royalty"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible