The Princess Diarist

by Carrie Fisher

The last book from beloved Hollywood icon Carrie Fisher, The Princess Diarist is an intimate, hilarious, and revealing recollection of what happened behind the scenes on one of the most famous film sets of all time, the first Star Wars movie.    When Carrie Fisher discovered the journals she kept during the filming of the first Star Wars movie, she was astonished to see what they had preserved--plaintive love poems, unbridled musings with youthful naiveté, and a vulnerability that she barely recognized. Before her passing, her fame as an author, actress, and pop-culture icon was indisputable, but in 1977, Carrie Fisher was just a teenager with an all-consuming crush on her costar, Harrison Ford.  With these excerpts from her handwritten notebooks, The Princess Diarist is Fisher's intimate and revealing recollection of what happened on one of the most famous film sets of all time--and what developed behind the scenes. Fisher also ponders the joys and insanity of celebrity, and the absurdity of a life spawned by Hollywood royalty, only to be surpassed by her own outer-space royalty. Laugh-out-loud hilarious and endlessly quotable, The Princess Diarist brims with the candor and introspection of a diary while offering shrewd insight into one of Hollywood's most beloved stars.… (more)

English (128)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (129)
Carrie Fisher was not only one of my favorite actresses she was also one of my favorite authors, most especially her memoirs. This book is engaging, funny, serious and unbelievably heartbreaking in light of her untimely death. I admired her greatly as a person of integrity who embraced her faults and shared them with the world so that we all might learn from her accomplishments and mistakes. She will be greatly missed.

I am reviewing this book based on an ARC received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion.
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Carrie Fisher is such a funny and natural writer, and I could almost hear her wry voice narrating the whole first and last thirds of the memoir. In a bit of a stark contrast, the actual diary entries themselves in the middle of the book, while still amazingly sharply written by 19-year-old Carrie, were a bit of a difficult read just because of how readily her acute distress comes through... reading them I really felt as if I were prying into something personal that I shouldn't see. ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
K. memoir. read 2017
  18cran | Aug 11, 2021 |
Listened to on audiobook. Very enjoyable though I wish Ms. Fisher read her diary excerpts as well. Those were kinda boring since Ms. Fisher is such an amazing reader in contrast to the person who read those.

How Ms. Fisher described kissing was hilarious and spot on. Her fan dialogue was amazing, funny and enjoyably weird. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
audiobook nonfiction/memoir (read by the author)
the author recounts her life as she gets picked for the role of Leia as a young woman of 19 years; her affair with (married) Harrison Ford; excerpts from her lyrical diary which offers a peek into her mental anxieties and depression (but not a lot); the ramblings of people asking for her autograph and how she feels about having to sell autographs.

If I wasn't a strong star wars fan before, I am less of one now. A lot of this was drivel, but at least she got paid for it, since she didn't get any shares in the star wars merchandising industry. It was just ok--it might be better in print (sounds less like bitter ranting) or it might be better if I were in a different mood. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

Irvin Kershner
J.J. Abrams
Rian Johnson
It was 1976...

Charlie’s Angels, Laverne & Shirley, and Family Feud premiered on TV.

The best-selling author of Postcards From the Edge and Hollywood icon best known for her Star Wars role shares interconnected essays exploring her life as the child of Tinseltown royalty, adventures on the sets of Star Wars and struggles with bipolar disorder.
-Novelist

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,122,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible