The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

The Princess Diarist

by Carrie Fisher

In 1976, Carrie Fisher was a teenager filming a movie, with an all-consuming crush on her costar. And it just happened to become one of the most famous films of all time -- the first Star wars movie. When she recently discovered the journals she had kept, she found them full of plaintive love poems, unbridled musings with youthful naiveté, and a vulnerability that she barely recognized. In revisiting her diaries, Fisher ponders the joys and insanity of celebrity as well as the absurdity of a life spawned by Hollywood royalty whose lofty status has ultimately been surpassed by her own outer-space royalty.… (more)

English (98)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (99)
2018 Read Harder #12 - Read a celebrity memoir
  Muhrrynn | Jul 11, 2019 |
I have wanted to read this for awhile now. I was so excited when it first came out. I was really hoping for a behind the scenes look at the making of Star Wars. I got a little of that, but not enough. I wanted more. Seeing Harrison Ford through Carrie's eyes made me like him less. I have always liked the characters he plays, but reading about the man was not so great.

Overall, the book was not as good as I was hoping. I liked it, but I can't say I loved it. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I bought this the day Carrie Fisher died because if ever there was a day I needed her gems of wit and wisdom, it was then. Reading it just confirmed what an amazing woman she was and how blessed we were to have such an outspoken, unapologetic, insightful woman as one of the main stars of Star Wars, not to mention the profound impact that her willingness to be open about her mental illness has had on countless people. Reading her journal entries from on set of A New Hope, her uncertainty, isolation, and fear are clear. It must have taken tremendous courage to publish, even forty years later. But Carrie has always been known for being willing to put herself out there, even when she doesn't come off looking her best. We lost a truly amazing author and individual when she died. ( )
  irasobrietate | Jun 4, 2019 |
It was lovely to hear Carrie Fisher's voice again. She's sweet and funny - I enjoyed the on set stories about Star Wars. However, most of the stories were about her teenage affair with Harrison Ford - important to her, but teenage obsession can run on, especially in the pages from her diary of the time (that part was narrated by her daughter, which I thought was a nice touch) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I was struck by how much this book focuses on her affair with Harrison Ford versus the broader experience of filming Star Wars as a whole. I knew the topic would come up, obviously, but I wasn’t necessarily prepared for how central that topic would be to the book. I also wasn’t prepared for how poorly Harrison would come across in Fisher’s telling. Honestly, I’m aware that he’s probably not the nicest person in real life, but her portrayal of him reads so much like a person who wants to believe that their friend is a nice person when in fact…he’s kind of an asshole. If she had interspersed the diary entries of 1976 Carrie with current day Carrie’s reflections it could have been a much stronger work with a better sense of what she’s learned and how the experience changed her. Instead, the diary entries are presented as one chunk midway through the book and frankly, an angsty teenager isn’t the most interesting of narrators. Those two flaws combined to make this work shallower than I expected given some of her other work. ( )
1 vote Jthierer | May 11, 2019 |
Irvin Kershner
J. J. Abrams
Rian Johnson
It was 1976...

Charlie’s Angels, Laverne & Shirley, and Family Feud premiered on TV.

The best-selling author of Postcards From the Edge and Hollywood icon best known for her Star Wars role shares interconnected essays exploring her life as the child of Tinseltown royalty, adventures on the sets of Star Wars and struggles with bipolar disorder.
-Novelist

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible