The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

The Princess Diarist (edition 2017)

by Carrie Fisher (Author)

The last book from beloved Hollywood icon Carrie Fisher, The Princess Diarist is an intimate, hilarious, and revealing recollection of what happened behind the scenes on one of the most famous film sets of all time, the first Star Wars movie.    When Carrie Fisher discovered the journals she kept during the filming of the first Star Wars movie, she was astonished to see what they had preserved--plaintive love poems, unbridled musings with youthful naiveté, and a vulnerability that she barely recognized. Before her passing, her fame as an author, actress, and pop-culture icon was indisputable, but in 1977, Carrie Fisher was just a teenager with an all-consuming crush on her costar, Harrison Ford.  With these excerpts from her handwritten notebooks, The Princess Diarist is Fisher's intimate and revealing recollection of what happened on one of the most famous film sets of all time--and what developed behind the scenes. Fisher also ponders the joys and insanity of celebrity, and the absurdity of a life spawned by Hollywood royalty, only to be surpassed by her own outer-space royalty. Laugh-out-loud hilarious and endlessly quotable, The Princess Diarist brims with the candor and introspection of a diary while offering shrewd insight into one of Hollywood's most beloved stars.… (more)
Member:Moviedromy
Title:The Princess Diarist
Authors:Carrie Fisher (Author)
Info:Black Swan (2017), Edition: 01, 272 pages

The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher (Author)

English (115)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (116)
This pretty much confirmed for me that I'm really not interested in celebrity (auto)biography, even if I really like the celebrity. I mostly just felt bad for her being in a bad relationship. The diary entries were very reminiscent of the sort of things I wrote at that age, just with the melodramatic stuff being about Harrison Ford, instead of my completely non-famous first love.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
This was fun. Really quick - granted, I tend to listen to audiobooks at a minimum of x1.75 speed, so it goes quicker. But I really liked the humor and the her writing style. To almost quote her, I saw myself in there. And the audiobook is read by her and the journal entries are read by her daughter, which is great.

This really only covers her life in and around the Star Wars franchise. A good chunk of the book was taken up with the affair that she had during the making of the movies. And granted, if it took over her life that much, it would warrant a large portion of the book. As someone who's not a huge fan of the movies (I've seen them maybe twice), it does make me want to go back and rewatch them with some of the small added insights I got from listening to this book. ( )
  expatb | Jun 8, 2020 |
I'm not usually one to read memoirs or even a slice of a tiny and specific autobiography like this, but I was tempted both because of my sadness for her death and the fact that it was nominated for the Hugos this year.

That being said, I wasn't prepared for how much I enjoyed her quirky and excellent and witty writing, her unabashedly honest reveal about her on-set fling with Harrison Ford, or the nearly unbearably sweet and conflicted original diary, itself.

Don't go into this expecting a behind the scenes expose or anything, but you can truthfully come out of it feeling a sense of awe and joy for having been a part of something so big... even coming from the actress in the metal bikini. :)

Reading this is both sweet and heartbreaking at the same time.

I, like so many others, love Star Wars, but as with so many people like me, I tend to forget that the people involved with it are just as fascinating in their own right. I learned that Carrie Fisher was rather freaking cool. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
If you have the option, I highly recommend listening to Carrie narrate this one.

Given her recent passing, this was a very bittersweet listen, but it was also a good way to remember her. More than that is too hard to say right now. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Carrie Fisher is quite good at writing, and often very funny. This book was not really what I expected (and that is not the author's fault), which was an account of her experiences with the Star Wars films. It was more of an account of her feelings during that era of her life, her reactions to her affair with Harrison Ford (to an extent it could be re-titled as The Harrison Ford Diaries), and her musings about fame. Nevertheless, it was a quick read with sharp wit. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |

Irvin Kershner
J.J. Abrams
Rian Johnson
It was 1976...

Charlie’s Angels, Laverne & Shirley, and Family Feud premiered on TV.

The best-selling author of Postcards From the Edge and Hollywood icon best known for her Star Wars role shares interconnected essays exploring her life as the child of Tinseltown royalty, adventures on the sets of Star Wars and struggles with bipolar disorder.
-Novelist

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,716,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible